Actual wiring diagram

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
Cannikin

Re: Actual wiring diagram

Post by Cannikin » Thu May 26, 2016 2:57 pm

andy---89 wrote:Can you please tell me more about the sound card... were did you buy it and how its working??
It's this little guy: http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-External- ... B00IRVQ0F8

$5 and works great! Just needs a config file set on the Pi and then it works like charm: https://learn.adafruit.com/usb-audio-ca ... lsa-config (You want the first set of instructions for Raspbian Jessie.)

LoafSlice

Post by LoafSlice » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:43 pm

whats the word? did the circuit work?

Cannikin

Post by Cannikin » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:37 pm

LoafSlice wrote:whats the word? did the circuit work?
It does! I'd like to add my screen and the joystick buttons to the diagram before calling it "final" though.

dirtybeagles

Post by dirtybeagles » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:40 pm

Cannikin wrote:It does! I'd like to add my screen and the joystick buttons to the diagram before calling it "final" though.
Okay, so I first tried it with your diagram and I received really bad feedback when I plug in my headphone jack. The speaker had a lot of static whenever I plug in the headphones.

I then switch it up to look like this:
Wiring for Sound (v1).jpg
Wiring for Sound (v1).jpg (129.29 KiB) Viewed 8483 times
But now, the speaker has static and the headphone jack doesnt work. Is there help you could give me? I think it has something to do with my Ground connections. Just FYI, I had to flip my GB Volume wheel so that is why the connections are backwards from your diagram. I flipped the GB Volume wheel around.

Post by 1461748123 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:47 pm

dirtybeagles wrote:
Cannikin wrote:It does! I'd like to add my screen and the joystick buttons to the diagram before calling it "final" though.
Okay, so I first tried it with your diagram and I received really bad feedback when I plug in my headphone jack. The speaker had a lot of static whenever I plug in the headphones.

I then switch it up to look like this:
Wiring for Sound (v1).jpg

But now, the speaker has static and the headphone jack doesnt work. Is there help you could give me? I think it has something to do with my Ground connections. Just FYI, I had to flip my GB Volume wheel so that is why the connections are backwards from your diagram. I flipped the GB Volume wheel around.
I might be wrong but if you add the volume pot before the amp won't the amp just boost up the volume as well?

dirtybeagles

Post by dirtybeagles » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:56 pm

1461748123 wrote:I might be wrong but if you add the volume pot before the amp won't the amp just boost up the volume as well?
Isnt that what Cannikin did in his diagram and he said it worked? Am I missing some logic here? :lol:

dirtybeagles

Post by dirtybeagles » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:12 pm

dirtybeagles wrote:But now, the speaker has static and the headphone jack doesnt work. Is there help you could give me? I think it has something to do with my Ground connections. Just FYI, I had to flip my GB Volume wheel so that is why the connections are backwards from your diagram. I flipped the GB Volume wheel around.
Okay, it works not like this, but the speaker is very faint in my option and I am still hearing static from the speaker. Am I missing something here?

Here is my volume wheel because I had to run it around. Gray color is white.
my volume wheel (2).jpg
my volume wheel (2).jpg (820.21 KiB) Viewed 8464 times

Cannikin

Post by Cannikin » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:17 pm

dirtybeagles wrote:
dirtybeagles wrote:But now, the speaker has static and the headphone jack doesnt work. Is there help you could give me? I think it has something to do with my Ground connections. Just FYI, I had to flip my GB Volume wheel so that is why the connections are backwards from your diagram. I flipped the GB Volume wheel around.
Okay, it works not like this, but the speaker is very faint in my option and I am still hearing static from the speaker. Am I missing something here?

Here is my volume wheel because I had to run it around. Gray color is white.
my volume wheel (2).jpg
I think that would reverse the volume wheel. I used the left two contacts on the volume control as the "input" (from the USB sound card) and the right two as the "output" (to the headphone jack). The headphone jack then controls the power to the Adafruit amp by cutting off access to ground when you plug in headphones. I sent the left channel to the Adafruit amp (although I saw someone else connect left to A+ and right to A- on the amp, so I might try that.

I don't have any static on mine other than a very quiet constant level, regardless of what the volume is set to. The sound card is pretty cheap and the Pi is famous for having pretty crappy audio anyway so I just chalked it up to that. You can't hear it at all unless it's completely quiet (no game sounds) and you're in a quiet room.

dirtybeagles

Post by dirtybeagles » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:11 pm

Is there anyway you can give me a visual from what I have in my diagram? hard to follow what you are saying.

I am thinking you are saying I should I should reverse my connections for my volume wheel (indicated by the purple line)?
Wiring for Sound (v2).jpg
Wiring for Sound (v2).jpg (131.66 KiB) Viewed 8445 times

dirtybeagles

Post by dirtybeagles » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:37 pm

Here is a video of the noise: https://goo.gl/photos/xy1win6khhM3dt8N9

Not sure it this is normal.