Help with PWM audio

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
Goose_box

Help with PWM audio

Post by Goose_box » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:43 am

Hey guys,

I'm making a lot of progress with my Gameboy Zero and have been following Wermy's guides for the most part but I decided to jump ahead and pretty much completed everything except the audio now. I have tried following adafruit's guide to getting audio out of the pi0 but it's way over my head and I don't understand it.

Would anyone on here be so kind as to run me through a simple, dumbed down walk through on how to get my audio working.

What I have so far is he speaker connected to the original headphone jack which is then connected to my adafruit Momo amp. The amp is connected to 5volts and a ground and the two speaker wires I plan on connecting to the original potentiometer.

Any help from here is appreciated!

Thanks

DirtyBullets

Re: Help with PWM audio

Post by DirtyBullets » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:54 pm

i am on the same stage too on my first gameboy. i didnt wanna jump to far but its been like this for 4 weeks now and still not had sound yet cos of this lol...hurry wermy : :lol:

Popcorn
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Popcorn » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:19 pm

I'm about to tackle this this week too. Apparently Wermy used this guide but is only using one side since its mono.

https://learn.adafruit.com/adding-basic ... -pwm-audio

Goose_box

Post by Goose_box » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:05 pm

Been trying to figure that guide out but it's way over my head unfortunately and it's hurting my head trying to follow the schematic. Good luck and if you figure out a simple way of explaining to us let us know! :D

SP33

Post by SP33 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:10 pm

I can do a very simple tutorial with a parts list tonight. I was actually meaning to make it very soon anyways ;) I will post here when I complete it. @Goose_box @DirtyBullets @Popcorn

Spruc3Moose

Post by Spruc3Moose » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:32 pm

I am at the same point...I was waiting for the guide, but I have been getting ancy and want to jump ahead. All I have left to do is the cartridge reader and audio. There is a forum topic on low-pass filter for audio out that I have been following that has a picture of what the audio filter should look like done by @1461748123. I copied what he put there below:
1461748123 wrote:I've successfully completed the filter for audio out
Here is the prototype:

The finished product:

I will post a full tutorial soon

Post by 1461748123 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:46 pm

@Spruc3Moose

I've made a simplified diagram for people that want to make one by themselves:

I'm not planning to make a tutorial anymore because I think this diagram really explained what you have to do.. :)

Goose_box

Post by Goose_box » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:58 pm

SP33 wrote:I can do a very simple tutorial with a parts list tonight. I was actually meaning to make it very soon anyways ;) I will post here when I complete it. @Goose_box @DirtyBullets @Popcorn

Please do!

Although people posted some excellent diagrams just now I'm sure we'd still also love to see someone else's work and even a walk through perhaps!

Thanks to everyone in this community who's contributed!!

SP33

Post by SP33 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:29 pm

If you would like to take a crack at it here is my guide. Hopefully it helps! If you still have issues let us know!
http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=480
I made a simplified schematic for anyone who might not understand the original schematic. @1461748123 did a great job with his, you could easily use his and just apply the changes needed to activate/swap the PWM pins.

@Goose_box @DirtyBullets @Popcorn @Spruc3Moose

Spruc3Moose

Post by Spruc3Moose » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:34 am

SP33 wrote:If you would like to take a crack at it here is my guide. Hopefully it helps! If you still have issues let us know!
http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=480
I made a simplified schematic for anyone who might not understand the original schematic. @1461748123 did a great job with his, you could easily use his and just apply the changes needed to activate/swap the PWM pins.

@Goose_box @DirtyBullets @Popcorn @Spruc3Moose
awesome! thanks :)