[Solved] Strange Power Behaviour

Resolved mintyPi issues go here. Search this section first before creating a new support thread!
Elefantenpogo

[Solved] Strange Power Behaviour

Post by Elefantenpogo » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:14 am

Hi guys,
I've nearly finished my first MintyPi and got through the build with nearly no problems. Great thanks to wermy for the great guide.

But as I put everything together, the Pi starts to get a strange behaviour: sometimes it just won't turn on. When I slightly press on the faceplate, it suddenly works. This isn't necessary everytime I want to boot up, but about every 3rd to 4th time. I already checked everythingwith the Multimeter and couldn't find anything conspicuous.
Also, i used a lot of Kepton Tape to prevent any shortenings at the tin.

I just can't find the reason for this behaviour. Maybe you have an idea?

Thanks in advance
Elefantenpogo
Last edited by Elefantenpogo on Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: Strange Power Behaviour

Post by Helder » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:54 am

Broken solder joint some where there is GND or power, likely from weak joint and board flexing from being put in the tin.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Elefantenpogo

Post by Elefantenpogo » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:30 am

That's what I thougt as well, but couldn't find anything with the Multimeter.
But if this is the reason I guess the broken joint is the GND or VCC joint. I had some issues soldering there, as some of my cables got to short and its a bit difficult getting to the pads with the iron.

But i guess i should have a look at this point again. I'm a litte afraid destroying the pads or the PCB. Is there another point to solder the VCC and the GND as an alternative?
I got the V2-Version of the board.

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:25 am

You can take a look at this post
viewtopic.php?t=4115

Also, all the usefull pins have alternate soldering pads on the board. Carefully look at the board and you will se them
Follow me on instagram Image

Elefantenpogo

Post by Elefantenpogo » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:42 am

Working through this guide was the first thin I did, but I couldn't find any problems.

Thought about connecting the power directly to the 5,5v and Gnd on the Pi, alternatively the gnd to the gnd test pad but wasn't sure, if that's okay or would cause any trouble.

Elefantenpogo

Post by Elefantenpogo » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:35 pm

Finally found and fixed the problem. The solder joint between the pcb and the pi was broken and let go through less than 1V. Soldered another GND-GPIO to the GND test pad. Now everything works as intended.
Thanks a lot for your help!