Soft Silicone Tactile Back Button L1 R1 Option

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
HoolyHoo

Soft Silicone Tactile Back Button L1 R1 Option

Post by HoolyHoo » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:59 am

Was messing around with a PCB backboard alternative for when I receive my new Kite's CS :D I know there are some options out there but I had the Adafruit soft silicone buttons I wanted to use (Also available much cheaper on Aliexpress). I have used these with the MintyPi XL and really liked the feel of them. They feel almost exactly like if you were using GB membranes but without the hassle of wells, silicone membranes or a bracket to hold it in place. This is what I came up with.

Very simple but does the job great. I went with the bigger 12mm caps as I like that for the back as they are easy to reach. The feel, as I said, is just like the membranes. Nice soft feel with a satisfying and quiet push action. Here it is in the case. Ignore the misaligned top holes as this is an old test case I use.

The PCB mounts through the cartridge holder post and is secured with screws. No glue or bracket needed to mount the PCB. The buttons I used fit nicely against the silicone buttons without play and without the use of wells. Compatible with Kites board :D

I also came up with a four button version that I have been playing with. Let me know what you guys think.

YaYa

Re: Soft Silicone Tactile Back Button L1 R1 Option

Post by YaYa » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:55 pm

what i think ? when do you plan to sell them on kits hahahaah ? (i'm serious)
Follow me on instagram Image

erik_gee

Post by erik_gee » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:43 am

Nice design !
GBC AIO kit Sales Thread:https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=9928

Bunch of different shoulder button kits Sales Thread:viewtopic.php?f=38&t=6233&p=63192#p63192

AIO board for DMG Sales Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=6431

6 Button Common Ground Board Sales Thread: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4811

neolith

Post by neolith » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:33 pm

Really nice – I like it! :)
– "The biggest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." –

erik_gee

Post by erik_gee » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:24 pm

I have some experience working in this area with my sets, is there anything I could help with?
GBC AIO kit Sales Thread:https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=9928

Bunch of different shoulder button kits Sales Thread:viewtopic.php?f=38&t=6233&p=63192#p63192

HoolyHoo

Post by HoolyHoo » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:39 pm

erik_gee wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:24 pm
I have some experience working in this area with my sets, is there anything I could help with?
Thanks Erik, very kind of you. At this point I really have nothing left to do as the fit is just perfect. I am really liking the combination of using the bigger 12mm tact caps with the soft silicone membrane feel without the hassle.

The only thing I have been playing with is making a four button version but honestly they would have to sit higher up otherwise they will be too crowded. This, of course, takes up more room in the case. No big deal for me as I would just be using a dummy cartridge anyways but for other, that space may be needed. Personally, it wouldn’t bother me. The 4 button version is done. Just need to have it sent off.

Thanks for the offer and I humbly reciprocate on my end as well 😉. Do you see something that maybe we can improve on?

erik_gee

Post by erik_gee » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:23 pm

HoolyHoo wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:39 pm
erik_gee wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:24 pm
Thanks Erik, very kind of you. At this point I really have nothing left to do as the fit is just perfect. I am really liking the combination of using the bigger 12mm tact caps with the soft silicone membrane feel without the hassle.

The only thing I have been playing with is making a four button version but honestly they would have to sit higher up otherwise they will be too crowded. This, of course, takes up more room in the case. No big deal for me as I would just be using a dummy cartridge anyways but for other, that space may be needed. Personally, it wouldn’t bother me. The 4 button version is done. Just need to have it sent off.

Thanks for the offer and I humbly reciprocate on my end as well 😉. Do you see something that maybe we can improve on?
no problem! and thank you! I was actually just discussing something similar to this with kite on his post, as he has made a similar solution to ours.

The only problem Ive had, which im not sure if youve encountered yet, is that those 12mm caps are a little large for the compartment. They have to sit a little higher than center so the lip doesnt hit the batter compartment edge. But it looks like you found a good spot.

Ive also had numerous requests for a 4 button solution as well. I will admit, it is hard haha like you said, they would have to sit higher. There just isnt enough space to sit comfortably. Ive been playing around with different locations, but everything feels strangly spaced when adding 4 buttons. I think that would be the biggest problem we face. Your tactile seem to be a good idea as they require less room then a button,conductive pad, and button wells so that probably the best route

If you ever wanna bounce ideas shoot me a pm! Id love to have a discussion about anything haha

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:01 pm

very nice, the soft tactile buttons probably feel nice!

HoolyHoo

Post by HoolyHoo » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:42 pm

rodocop wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:01 pm
very nice, the soft tactile buttons probably feel nice!
Yes, they actually feel quite nice if you like the soft silicone feel as opposed to the standard clicky, noisy tactile. :D

axtran

Post by axtran » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:02 pm

Wow, this looks wonderful. I think the large rear buttons will keep things fancy.