[solved] D-Pad Down Not Working

Resolved mintyPi issues go here. Search this section first before creating a new support thread!
scottaudette

[solved] D-Pad Down Not Working

Post by scottaudette » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:58 pm

Hi All,

I've been working on the MintyPi with my son since summer and we've hit a stone wall. I cannot for the life of me get the D-Pad Down to work.

Here's the steps we taken so far:

1. Re-worked the solder on the board and have checked on the continuity to the test pad a thousand times. We have continuity.
2. We have continuity to the button pad on the other side of the board from the pi.
3. We have NOT been able to trigger down with a wire from the button pad.
4. We've turned the d-pad and buttons to see if we can get it to work or not work in another direction as well.

I'm open to suggestions here ...

thanks,
Scott

dryja123

Re: D-Pad Down Not Working

Post by dryja123 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:12 pm

Hey Scott,

Does down work when you have the Pi and PCB out of the tin? Also, what happens if you were to jump the down pad by soldering a wire to the down gpio hole and tapping the other end of the wire on the pad for down?

scottaudette

Post by scottaudette » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:23 pm

Down doesn't work inside the tin or out. I will have to try jumping a wire to the button pad later tonight when I get home from work.

scottaudette

Post by scottaudette » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:39 am

So, this morning I tried adding a wire to the GPIO hole and tapping the down button. Still got nothing. So, frustrating. The most ridiculous part is I have continuity to both the test pad and d-pad.

Beginning to think maybe I have a bad Pi?

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:52 am

Worst case you can solder another unused gpio to the down test pad. And adjust the code to use that new gpio for down.

Also double check continuity on the gpio pins around the down gpio. Maybe there is a bridge beneath the pi that you cannot see.

Double checking some photos show that the gpio right above down is a ground pin. If there is any continuity with ground that would cause the button to not work.

dryja123

Post by dryja123 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:36 am

Post pictures when you get a chance.

sygyzy

Post by sygyzy » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:45 am

I didn't want to start another thread so I thought i'd tag onto this. When I built my mintyPi, I must have taken it apart and reassembled it two dozen times so eventually I just said enough was enough. What really bothered me though is how unresponsive the buttons are, especially A. This is a real problem since A is OK or Accept for almost all menus/actions. I have tried the tips posted like cleaning the pads, laying down a thing layer of solder etc. I don't play with the mintyPi at all because each time the user experience is so terrible. Does anyone have perfectly working buttons? Is there a flaw with the PCB that it's so picky but much cheaper (controller) boards are perfectly responsive? Should I be shimming the button with paper? What else can I try?

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:54 am

sygyzy wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:45 am
I didn't want to start another thread so I thought i'd tag onto this. When I built my mintyPi, I must have taken it apart and reassembled it two dozen times so eventually I just said enough was enough. What really bothered me though is how unresponsive the buttons are, especially A. This is a real problem since A is OK or Accept for almost all menus/actions. I have tried the tips posted like cleaning the pads, laying down a thing layer of solder etc. I don't play with the mintyPi at all because each time the user experience is so terrible. Does anyone have perfectly working buttons? Is there a flaw with the PCB that it's so picky but much cheaper (controller) boards are perfectly responsive? Should I be shimming the button with paper? What else can I try?
All three I have built seemed to work perfectly fine. You could try a small shim on the a button. Can't hurt to try. Also run a jumper wire from the gpio to the test pad. See if that makes a difference. And I guess make sure the button holes are filed enough so there is nothing that can catch the button. Finally try a fresh image.

I know you said you tried a lot of things. So I'm not sure if I'm repeating what you have already tried. But what I listed is what I would personally try.

dryja123

Post by dryja123 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:11 am

sygyzy wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:45 am
I built 4 so far and 1 had really poor button responsiveness with B. I wicked up all the solder from the pad, laid a fresh coat of solder and flux. That resolved the issue. It appears that some pads had some corrosion on them.

scottaudette

Post by scottaudette » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:07 am

Here's where I am at now,

This morning I have tested the following based on some suggestions from Helder:

1. The GPIO pins with battery on. I am getting 3.3 volts to all but the d-pad down. I get nothing there, either pin. But I get continuity to the test pad and front button.

2. Re-soldered the ground from the power supply to the PCB, then tested the VCC and GNC pads. VNC showing 3.3 volts and the GND to power showing 5V.

I get continuity at all the ground pads.

Thoughts?

And my board, it's well a bit yucky, but we are trying!