[FINISHED] Tact-4 shoulder button bracket for GBZ

Share your STL files, CAD design files, etc. here!
goodBEan

Re: [WIP] Tact-4 shoulder button bracket

Post by goodBEan » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:53 am

snoek09 wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:45 am
Thanks for creating this! I'm currently printing a modified version of your bracket using the original location of the shoulder buttons.

There is a half hole missing at the bottom which I've added here:

Could you please send me the stl files you made and take plenty of photos of how it fits? You have pretty much confirmed a fear that I had about this project. I was basing my designs off the gameboy cad/stl files I got from HERE, and I was worried that there would be more differences besides the place for the face buttons. I would like to update my gameboy case template.

Also I realized something, since I have a see through case it makes it a ton easier to pick out the right spot for these should buttons. These brackets can also be used for drill guides.

neolith

Post by neolith » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:16 pm

goodBEan wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:53 am
snoek09 wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:45 am
Thanks for creating this! I'm currently printing a modified version of your bracket using the original location of the shoulder buttons.

There is a half hole missing at the bottom which I've added here:

Could you please send me the stl files you made and take plenty of photos of how it fits? You have pretty much confirmed a fear that I had about this project. I was basing my designs off the gameboy cad/stl files I got from HERE, and I was worried that there would be more differences besides the place for the face buttons. I would like to update my gameboy case template.
That particular pillar is missing in my model, because its counterpart on the front needs to be removed so it doesn't collide with the bigger screen. I will update the model after the holidays to include it.
– "The biggest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." –

goodBEan

Post by goodBEan » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:09 pm

neolith wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:16 pm

That particular pillar is missing in my model, because its counterpart on the front needs to be removed so it doesn't collide with the bigger screen. I will update the model after the holidays to include it.
Thank you that will be a big help. You could just take the model you have, branch it off and make a version that is completely stock. Its a big help with designs. There is no way I could of made my models without your files.

goodBEan

Post by goodBEan » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:46 pm

I got a 3d printer now and I am getting the hang of it. I just need to wait for neolith's model to be updated or try figure it out myself.

goodBEan

Post by goodBEan » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:23 pm

I decided to try to make the adjustments to the model before neolith can update his files. I got out some calipers and did some measuring and added some shapes in blender to match. You can see the two blue spots on the model of where they should be. It might be kinda rough and if its still inaccurate I can move them if need be.

Because of the L and R labels, I had to move them and start over and redo how I use the Boolean function within blender. I ended up with this.

Since there is another notch have to put in and that is close to the wells for the buttons, I does make me a bit nervouse about structural integrity and printability. Its going to take me a few days to print out theses brackets (other projects are already in line).

Here are some more pictures

link to new batch of files
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p65u0moc6p9ju ... R.zip?dl=0

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:20 pm

It may be bit hard to get them printed but don’t see any reason why it would not work. You may still need some grindings inside the switch closing.

Keep up the good work
Follow me on instagram Image

goodBEan

Post by goodBEan » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:28 pm

In about 30 minutes. The print will be finished. I get to finally test it.

goodBEan

Post by goodBEan » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:16 pm

OK the print of V4 is done and I got some usefull info. Print came out fine with some minor issues, nothing a little sanding and tweaking won't fix. Since this is a test fit I am not too worried about it. I printed out all three versions

First thing I tested out was the slots for the micro switches. They fit near perfectly. However when you throw in the thickness of the gba I wonder if its the brackets need so have the siwtches be lower. There is a few ideas in my head right now.

As for the fit in the case, its close but still needs some trimming. I had to break a corner off since it would be problematic. I will need to make some adjustments to the previously missing support columns, that I recently added. I also need to work on some tolorences. I decided to take my 2 blank test pieces and mark were there are issues so that I can easily remember where to make changes.

Over all I am happy with the test. I know which direction to go and what changes that need to be made.

dryja123

Post by dryja123 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:25 pm

Excellent work! I printed up your v3 and meant to give you a suggestion that you hinted at on your last post. Try to make the tactile switch as close to the dmg case as possible to cut down on thickness. I think for the bracket to be successful it should only be as thick as the switch.

I apologize that I didn't get a chance to mention this earlier, I got lost in the holidays.

DieselDummy

Post by DieselDummy » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:43 pm

I really like your idea. any chance of getting the soft tactile witches to work with this install?