[FOR-SALE] Universal Button L1, L2, R1, R2 Back Button PCB and Silicone Buttons (OPEN)

Sell or trade things with other forum members!
ZahcStarKiller

Re: [Pre-Sale] Universal Button L1, L2, R1, R2 Back Button PCB and Silicone Buttons

Post by ZahcStarKiller » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:59 am

I am all in for a four button original DMG button setup. PLEASE let me know when you're ready to accept payment. I am foaming at the mouth over this. You just solved one of my big build dilemmas. I wanted to use the DMG buttons, and have them a little higher up on the case. Problem solved!!!

Any chance the CAD file for the DMG 4 button setup can be sent over to Kubino to include this cut in the pre-cut case I will be buying from him? That would be immensely appreciated if possible.

I can drill the back myself if necessary but prefer to have the pro do it. Going for an ULTRA clean build.

HoolyHoo

Re: [Pre-Sale] Universal Button L1, L2, R1, R2 Back Button PCB and Silicone Buttons

Post by HoolyHoo » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:51 am

ZahcStarKiller wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:59 am
I am all in for a four button original DMG button setup. PLEASE let me know when you're ready to accept payment. I am foaming at the mouth over this. You just solved one of my big build dilemmas. I wanted to use the DMG buttons, and have them a little higher up on the case. Problem solved!!!

Any chance the CAD file for the DMG 4 button setup can be sent over to Kubino to include this cut in the pre-cut case I will be buying from him? That would be immensely appreciated if possible.

I can drill the back myself if necessary but prefer to have the pro do it. Going for an ULTRA clean build.
Thanks! :D
PCB's and buttons should be here this week. Will update to open sales thread then. I have been in communication with Kubino to make it easy for him to make the cutout for anyone purchasing his case as well.

djascher

Post by djascher » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:09 pm

HoolyHoo you are the magic once again. It's funny, all this time doing my reading and researching I wasn't going to go for back buttons.. and today, I considered it, started reading, and bang! Here is a ready to go solution from the community!!

Silly question, but I'll ask it anyway, as I'm ignorant:
If one builds with just L1, R1 buttons, which consoles can they effectively play (ie have buttons for?)
If one builds with L1, L2, R1, R2 buttons, now which consoles can they play?
And with any / all of the above, do you need also a joystick at the front? Or with back buttons only, no joystick, one can still play some consoles (and well).

I'm ignorant, as I'm coming from a love of MAME and older consoles / machines, with complete ignorance of SNES, Sega, N64 etc. Not even sure to what generation console the Pi3 will properly emulate...

edwardthehuman

Post by edwardthehuman » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:17 am

djascher wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:09 pm
HoolyHoo you are the magic once again. It's funny, all this time doing my reading and researching I wasn't going to go for back buttons.. and today, I considered it, started reading, and bang! Here is a ready to go solution from the community!!

If one builds with just L1, R1 buttons, which consoles can they effectively play (ie have buttons for?)
And with any / all of the above, do you need also a joystick at the front? Or with back buttons only, no joystick, one can still play some consoles (and well).

I'm ignorant, as I'm coming from a love of MAME and older consoles / machines, with complete ignorance of SNES, Sega, N64 etc. Not even sure to what generation console the Pi3 will properly emulate...
PS1 Games.

HoolyHoo

Post by HoolyHoo » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:31 am

djascher wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:09 pm

Take a look at this webpage from the Retropie website.

https://retropie.org.uk/docs/RetroArch- ... -emulators

That should give you and idea of which gaming consoles require L1, R1 and L2, R2. For the most part you can get away with two back buttons unless you are playing PS1 games. However you could use L2, R2 to map the hotkey or whatever if you desire.

The Joystick again is needed for PS1 games but you can have the joystick mimic the Dpad which will work in all libreto emulators. For some games this is a nice addition to have. :D

djascher

Post by djascher » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:49 pm

edwardthehuman wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:17 am
PS1 Games.
So up to PS1 can be well emulated. Thank you!!

HoolyHoo

Post by HoolyHoo » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:51 pm

djascher wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:49 pm
edwardthehuman wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:17 am
PS1 Games.
So up to PS1 can be well emulated. Thank you!!
With a CM3 or raspberry pi 3, yes, to where games are playable but far from perfect.

djascher

Post by djascher » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:47 pm

HoolyHoo wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:31 am
Take a look at this webpage from the Retropie website.

https://retropie.org.uk/docs/RetroArch- ... -emulators

That should give you and idea of which gaming consoles require L1, R1 and L2, R2. For the most part you can get away with two back buttons unless you are playing PS1 games. However you could use L2, R2 to map the hotkey or whatever if you desire.
HoolyHoo, thank you Thank You THANK YOU!!!!!! That was the *perfect* guide to learning which buttons are needed for which console to be playable!! So if I read that correctly, the one set of L1, R1 will allow anything up to a Dreamcast and PS1 to be played.. but as you wrote and edwardthehuman wrote, the Pi capabilities tap out at that level anyway.

My question is the N64.... is the emulation for that platform solid on the Pi?

djascher

Post by djascher » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:51 pm

Actually, I just had another look at the N64 button config on the retro pie site... it looks like it needs two analog joysticks? A left and a right? So those that have just one joystick on the front of their case, are they able to play N64 games?

(FYI, I read Kite's Mode+L1/R1 to change things, but still confused...)
https://github.com/kiteretro/Circuit-Sw ... r1l1-usage

I guess my ignorance comes from never owning nor playing a N64, so I'm not sure if controller wise, games were dpad OR analog1, or dpad AND analog? Someone care to elucidate?

edwardthehuman

Post by edwardthehuman » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:46 pm

djascher wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:51 pm
Actually, I just had another look at the N64 button config on the retro pie site... it looks like it needs two analog joysticks? A left and a right? So those that have just one joystick on the front of their case, are they able to play N64 games?

(FYI, I read Kite's Mode+L1/R1 to change things, but still confused...)
https://github.com/kiteretro/Circuit-Sw ... r1l1-usage

I guess my ignorance comes from never owning nor playing a N64, so I'm not sure if controller wise, games were dpad OR analog1, or dpad AND analog? Someone care to elucidate?
Don't bother with N64 (it uses one joystick) because it doesn't play well on Rasberry Pi. You probably need to overclock your Pi in order to have a decent run on a couple of games then you have to worry how to mitigate the heat in that tiny Game Boy body. I've seen Super Mario 64 for the first few minutes of the game and also Goldeneye 64, but that's about it. I would suggest sticking just up to the PS1 generation and down with one joystick, 4 back buttons and you will be good to go. No N64, Saturn, Dreamcast.

Sorry for hijacking this thread