Full VGA resolution (640x480) 3.5" display, composite in

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
Photonicide

Re: Full VGA resolution (640x480) 3.5" display, composite in

Post by Photonicide » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:49 pm

Popcorn wrote:I was actually thinking of exposing just the menu button and then cross wiring up, down, and enter for the display with up, down, select on the gamepad. Anyone know if this will cause any issues being wired to two boards simultaneously?
Has anyone tried this yet? Any issues? Since the buttons and the video controller board are on the same half of the gameboy, it seems that it would be easy to connect these.

Ganreizu

Post by Ganreizu » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:53 pm

Cannikin wrote:
dirtybeagles wrote:Do you mind showing us how youth connected your screen? Did you have to convert it to run off 5v?
Yep, mine runs off of 5V just fine. It has 5V and GND connections on the controller board so I just wired one each of the 5V and ground GPIO pins on the Pi to those, and then the composite signal from the Pi to the controller board as well. You don't really need the separate composite ground wire as ground is ground and as long as you've got one you're good to go.
So we need to wire BOTH of the 5V connections from the board? Both to two of the three connections on the powerboost?

Cannikin

Post by Cannikin » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:57 pm

Ganreizu wrote:So we need to wire BOTH of the 5V connections from the board? Both to two of the three connections on the powerboost?
Nope, any 5V connection on the control board is the same 5V so you only need to hook up one.

I actually did end up coming OUT of the 5V GPIO on the Pi and it works great!

Ganreizu

Post by Ganreizu » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:08 pm

@cannikin Huzzah!

[spoiler="LIFE"]Image[/spoiler]

dirtybeagles

Post by dirtybeagles » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:38 am

[mention]Cannikin[/mention]

First I just got my screen in the mail! Kappa, second.. can you explain how you set these configurations for the screen so it is the same for all emulators?

disable_overscan=1
overscan_top=8
overscan_bottom=8
overscan_left=0
overscan_right=0

Also, where in the /boot/config.txt file where did you stick the display_rotate=2? At the end?

And third :) I guess you have to explain it to my like I am 5.. on the back of the board for the screen, I am not sure which one is the composite for video I need to connect to the pi video.
EiqSHV8.jpg
EiqSHV8.jpg (1.14 MiB) Viewed 8157 times
Forth, thanks for the help!

Ganreizu

Post by Ganreizu » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:57 am

dirtybeagles wrote:[mention]Cannikin[/mention]

[spoiler="text"]First I just got my screen in the mail! Kappa, second.. can you explain how you set these configurations for the screen so it is the same for all emulators?

disable_overscan=1
overscan_top=8
overscan_bottom=8
overscan_left=0
overscan_right=0

Also, where in the /boot/config.txt file where did you stick the display_rotate=2? At the end?

And third :) I guess you have to explain it to my like I am 5.. on the back of the board for the screen, I am not sure which one is the composite for video I need to connect to the pi video.

Forth, thanks for the help![/spoiler]
CBSV1 is the composite connection. You could do CBSV2 as well, it's just a different input on the screen. Once you wire it up you have to use the button board to change the input to the composite source you picked, the screen will be black until you do that, so do not desolder that button pin connector yet.

For the settings you add it to config.txt. At the end or the middle or the beginning it doesn't matter. Same thing with display_rotate. However it's going to rotate the screen when you plug into HDMI as well, so you need to add an EDID section like this (i add all of this stuff at the end of config.txt to be safe)

[EDID=*insert HDMI monitors EDID tag*]
display_rotate=0
[all]

You get the EDID tag by plugging into HDMI (so you can read stuff), going into the file manager in retropie, and typing the command "tvservice -n" and it will tell you the EDID. You have to do this for every HDMI monitor you plan to plug into.

Not sure if there were any other software tweaks to the screen to make things more readable. @cannikin could confirm though

Mad_Duke

Post by Mad_Duke » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:23 pm

Ganreizu wrote: However it's going to rotate the screen when you plug into HDMI as well, so you need to add an EDID section like this (i add all of this stuff at the end of config.txt to be safe)

[EDID=*insert HDMI monitors EDID tag*]
display_rotate=0
[all]

You get the EDID tag by plugging into HDMI (so you can read stuff), going into the file manager in retropie, and typing the command "tvservice -n" and it will tell you the EDID. You have to do this for every HDMI monitor you plan to plug into.
Hi! So there is still no way to make it not rotate any screen connected to the HDMI? Shouldn't there be an option to rotate depending on the interface. Damn... because this beats the purpose of going sans keyboard.

Cannikin

Post by Cannikin » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:46 pm

[mention]Mad_Duke[/mention] and [mention]dirtybeagles[/mention] you only need display_rotate=2 if you mount your screen "upside down" (ribbon cable at the top). If you can mount it with the ribbon cable at the bottom then no need to rotate at all. :)

Mad_Duke

Post by Mad_Duke » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:14 pm

Cannikin wrote:[mention]Mad_Duke[/mention] and [mention]dirtybeagles[/mention] you only need display_rotate=2 if you mount your screen "upside down" (ribbon cable at the top). If you can mount it with the ribbon cable at the bottom then no need to rotate at all. :)
Unfortunately no. If you do "display_rotate=2" then when you plug in the HDMI it will also be rotated.

I'll se if anything changes with my next screen, but the "fatter" bezel is always down and I don't have room for the screen that way.

Cannikin

Post by Cannikin » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:22 pm

Mad_Duke wrote:Unfortunately no. If you do "display_rotate=2" then when you plug in the HDMI it will also be rotated.
Right, but I'm saying that you don't need display_rotate at all, IF you don't have to flip your screen inside the GB. I have room in mine for the ribbon to go at the bottom, but it just seemed a little "cleaner" at the top. And I'm not exposing the HDMI port, so I won't have to worry about the fact that it would be rotated if I plugged in an external screen.