Oregon Trail build

Got an idea for a project? Found a cool project you want to share? Post it here!
smoki86

Oregon Trail build

Post by smoki86 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:26 pm

Saw this video on LGR yesterday:

Video

I think it looks amazingly retro and would be a fitting enclosure for some old DosBox or ScummVM games.
The controller board is already on its own, no idea if the display might be reusable as well.

Also so much room for extra stuff, could easily fit a PI3 and other gbz parts (I would love to add a small touchpad instead of the power button for adventure games)

Too bad they are expensive via ebay to ship to germany.
So if anyone would get one at a target for me, I will happily pay for shipping :)

JamesW

Re: Oregon Trail build

Post by JamesW » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:17 pm

That's awesome! Takes me back to primary school. I think shipping to Germany is expensive regardless. As I recall it is somewhere around $20 american for something that size... What is ebay quoting you for shipping?

smoki86

Post by smoki86 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:04 pm

8-15$ is what I normally pay for shipping from the US. 45.99$ + 12.05$ is what ebay wants, which I think is a bit ridiculous, as it costs just 25$ and is still available.

Cralex

Post by Cralex » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:47 am

I picked one up as soon as I heard about it on Hackaday (https://hackaday.com/2018/03/14/teardow ... -handheld/), with the intention of putting a Pi 3 inside. Maybe with an exposed HDMI port and a USB port so that playing on a bigger screen with more natural controls would be an option. I don't have a lot of experience with these sorts of things, though, so I'd want a hand sourcing parts, especially the battery, and figuring out how to connect everything together. It'd also be nice if the included screen could be reused, but it sounds like its an obscure part, not to mention the ribbon cable being soldered directly to the board.

Does anyone want to try designing something like this? If it's hard to come by where you live, maybe we could work something out as far as shipping.

CrogDog

Post by CrogDog » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:28 pm

Someone should totally build one of these, and then use it to play Oregon Trail. You would be total bad ass!