SudoMod Retail Packaging

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
YaYa

Re: SudoMod Retail Packaging

Post by YaYa » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:56 am

Here is my contribution

I still need to print it, will do that this week for some tests (my printer is only A4 so can't do it at home)

Thanks to HoolyHoo for letting me pick up some of his screenshots from his custom 3.5" StormTrooper Theme (found here)

Thanks to VeteranGamer for providing the PSD file for this.

Just a warning for people willing to make their own design, the PSD file is RGB, i'm used to play with CMYK files and i didn't pay attention so all my project is build on RGB :( which is really (!!!) annoying as all printers works based on CMYK, converting now changes a lot the colors so i need to completely rework my job :?
You need to open the PSD and immediately convert it before designing.

YaYa---GB-Box-Template.png
YaYa---GB-Box-Template.png (2.78 MiB) Viewed 23511 times
EDIT : i forgot to mention that the background will (normally lol) perfectly wrap when closing the box and show a gap / break less background :mrgreen:
Follow me on instagram Image

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:19 am

YaYa wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:56 am

Just a warning for people willing to make their own design, the PSD file is RGB, i'm used to play with CMYK files and i didn't pay attention so all my project is build on RGB :( which is really (!!!) annoying as all printers works based on CMYK, converting now changes a lot the colors so i need to completely rework my job :?
You need to open the PSD and immediately convert it before designing.

thanks...

the reason for this is, that most people wont have a A3 printer at home, and also its best printed on card for an authentic look

so most printers (the one i took it to didnt have an issue with it) that you'll take it to will not have an issue with the setting as they are....

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:01 am

Everyone should work on a CMYK workspace, i'm even not sure that RGB printers still exists, those were produced long time ago at the time when printing at home was still expensive. Now, all printers are based on CMYK (they all have at least 4 ink cartridges, some have even 8 cartridges to better handle color profiling for photo printing).

RGB workspaces are only used now for web design and video systems.

The color management system of the printer should (i insist on should) handle correctly the color workspace conversion to the right profile used by the printer and you should (i insist again on should) get a clean print, similar (or almost) to what you have designed.

But the closer you design your project to that profile, the less artifacts and the less color change you will have. So the best is to work CMYK as the printers have their own CMYK workspaces, but the gap between those workspaces is less than RGB to CMYK as the colors are coded completely differently.
This is from my own experience when i was working as graphic designer.

When i was professionally designing posters or magazines, i was working on a calibrated screen that was providing a color profile for photoshop and illustrator, so i was sure that the color showing on the screen, was the color i have decided to choose, this is the best (perfect) approach. But really expensive.

In my design, i have a lot of gradients with alpha blending, the conversion from RGB workspace to CMYK is killing all the work.
This is the result of the conversion just for comparison
YaYa---GB-Box-Template-CMYK.png
YaYa---GB-Box-Template-CMYK.png (3.3 MiB) Viewed 23499 times
The result is ugly, and a lot of artifacts appeared, the blending are not blending anymore lol

Here is the original design (in RGB, exported in RGB with a RGB workspace) to compare side by side
YaYa---GB-Box-Template.png (2.78 MiB) Viewed 23499 times
You think i'm nut and perfectionist lol but this is a similar approach as the pixel perfect themes for our 3.5" screens :lol: :lol: :lol:
we do not want a basic down-scaling from whatever to 320x200, no, we want it directly designed for our screens, in 320x200

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:53 am

YaYa wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:01 am
Everyone should work on a CMYK workspace, i'm even not sure that RGB printers still exists, those were produced long time ago at the time when printing at home was still expensive. Now, all printers are based on CMYK (they all have at least 4 ink cartridges, some have even 8 cartridges to better handle color profiling for photo printing).

RGB workspaces are only used now for web design and video systems.

The color management system of the printer should (i insist on should) handle correctly the color workspace conversion to the right profile used by the printer and you should (i insist again on should) get a clean print, similar (or almost) to what you have designed.

But the closer you design your project to that profile, the less artifacts and the less color change you will have. So the best is to work CMYK as the printers have their own CMYK workspaces, but the gap between those workspaces is less than RGB to CMYK as the colors are coded completely differently.
This is from my own experience when i was working as graphic designer.

When i was professionally designing posters or magazines, i was working on a calibrated screen that was providing a color profile for photoshop and illustrator, so i was sure that the color showing on the screen, was the color i have decided to choose, this is the best (perfect) approach. But really expensive.

In my design, i have a lot of gradients with alpha blending, the conversion from RGB workspace to CMYK is killing all the work.
This is the result of the conversion just for comparison

YaYa---GB-Box-Template-CMYK.png

The result is ugly, and a lot of artifacts appeared, the blending are not blending anymore lol

Here is the original design (in RGB, exported in RGB with a RGB workspace) to compare side by side

You think i'm nut and perfectionist lol but this is a similar approach as the pixel perfect themes for our 3.5" screens :lol: :lol: :lol:
we do not want a basic down-scaling from whatever to 320x200, no, we want it directly designed for our screens, in 320x200

i here what your saying, and dont really disagree....

but all this is great when your on photoshop (or similar) designing it.....
its a different case when printing....

most people wont have access to high quality printers or services locally (and if they do its too expensive for this novelty thing)

my designs skills are really at a novice level, i dont have the experience or expertise you do.....
so most of the things i have in my box designs are just taken from google images and i had issues with doing everything in CMYK (lack of experience), RGB was so simpler to work with....

and my boxes came out really good....

each to their own....
dont take it the wrong way... but doing all the fancy stuff is great on the pc/laptop, but if you cant replicate in the printing its too much work in my opinion...
great to look at on the pc/laptop... but disappointment when printng...

my novelty boxes cost only a few $/£ to make.... but if you want to get the high end finish, expect to pay more

but the proof of the pudding is always in the tasting

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:24 am

Yes, the final render of your box is really good, i like them a lot and i'm sure many people (just like i am at the moment) will get inspired by your work.

You don't have to pay much to print CMYK, all printers now work that way even those on local services.

You say that you are novice and not skilled and you said the same for your 3D skills, but as far as i can see, you are dealing more than good and your designs are working and many people are willing to copy them lol

Thank you very much for all your contribution, it's always a source of inspiration :)

And about the pudding, you are completely right, the proof is the taste :lol:

winnetouch

Post by winnetouch » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:22 am

YaYa wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:24 am
You don't have to pay much to print CMYK, all printers now work that way even those on local services.
Commercial color printers (yes even those on local services) have ALWAYS used CMYK (or Pantone but that's very exact printing and expensive as all hell). Your 20 year old inkjet home printer has used CMYK to print :P. I only comment because I'm astounded at how many people still think and spread the notion that color printers ever used anything else or that CMYK is some next level technology in printing :P.

All printed color is composed of dots (except pantone and similar PMS spot colors as mentioned earlier). Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Key (black). A printer then produces color depending on the intensitiy of each of those individual colors that are printed next to each other. Our eye then picks up the very small dots as one single color (in very layman's terms). That's also why when printing you always look at DPI (dots per inch) and not PPI (pixels per inch) for resolution and quality because printers work in dots not pixels. That's also one mistake people like to make :P.

You can read more about it here: http://searlecreative.com/understanding ... ot-colors/

That cocludes our edjucational 5 minutes for the day :P.

AntFJ

Post by AntFJ » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:20 pm

Does anyone know of an image template for the gameboy console box instead of the cart?

SirMehr

Post by SirMehr » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:25 am

AntFJ wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:20 pm
Does anyone know of an image template for the gameboy console box instead of the cart?
http://www.nintandbox.net/index.php/en/ ... /Game-Boy/

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:40 pm

SirMehr wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:25 am
AntFJ wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:20 pm
http://www.nintandbox.net/index.php/en/ ... /Game-Boy/
thanks for the find....

i've reworked one of the downloadable scans from this site....
it might appeal to others and make it slightly easier to work with....

GAME BOY ZERO box front.rar
(6.48 MiB) Downloaded 457 times
GAME BOY ZERO box back.rar
(5.42 MiB) Downloaded 466 times

NB: i haven't printed these out, but the sizes does look about right (the minimum size they can be printed on is A3 per side)

AntFJ

Post by AntFJ » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:20 pm

Amazing. Thank you!