Markolomew's Builds - Circuit Sword Builds - UPDATED with CERAKOTE GAME BOY

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
markolomew

Markolomew's Builds - Circuit Sword Builds - UPDATED with CERAKOTE GAME BOY

Post by markolomew » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:27 pm

Build #1 - Original Gray Game Boy with Wine Buttons DMG (OEM) - Kite SAIO PCB.
SpoilerShow
My original Game Boy from the early 80s that I found in a drawer. Wish I could have made the Y button hole tighter, but it was my first build and I was still learning.
Build #2 - Black with Wine buttons - Kite SAIO PCB.
SpoilerShow
Build #3 - Translucent Red with Black Buttons, PSP1000 joystick - Kite SAIO PCB.
SpoilerShow
Build #4 - White with White Buttons, PSP1000 Joystick - Kite Circuit Sword PCB
SpoilerShow
Builds #5-8 Family Photo - Kite Circuit Sword PCB
SpoilerShow
Build #5 - Black with Wine Buttons, PSP1000 Joystick - Kite Circuit Sword PCB
SpoilerShow
Build #6 - Hydrodipped with Black Buttons, PSP1000 Joystick - Kite Circuit Sword PCB
SpoilerShow
Build #7 - Clear case with Black Buttons, PS Vita Joystick - Kite Circuit Sword PCB - 6 button front, 2 button back
SpoilerShow
Build #8 - Translucent Green with Black Buttons, PS Vita Joystick - Kite Circuit Sword PCB - 6 button front, 4 button back
SpoilerShow
Build #9 - Cerakote Gray/Beige Body with Black Buttons, PS Vita Joystick - Kite Circuit Sword PCB - 6 button front, 2 button back, Analog & Digital Volume Controls
SpoilerShow
Last edited by markolomew on Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:49 am, edited 14 times in total.
Check out my builds: Click Here
Free .STL files for 3DS/PSP joystick cap mashup: Click Here
Check out my store, 8bitmark.com: Click Here

CrogDog

Re: Markolomew's Builds

Post by CrogDog » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:39 pm

That trans green one with black buttons looks gnarly! I like the trans red one too. Also was wondering what an all white build would look like. Sweet builds 8-)

vtboard

Post by vtboard » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:18 pm

These look fantastic. I am doing a similar build to #4-7 (using Kite's Circuit Sword). I am going back and forth about having 6 buttons on the front, or 4 on the front w/ 2 in back. I prefer Street Fighter games to SNES titles, so I am leaning towards the 6 in front. Are you planning on adding any back buttons? I was also wondering if the 6 in front feels cramped. Thanks

HoolyHoo

Post by HoolyHoo » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:31 pm

Great job Mark! I’m really liking that white on white. Haven’t seen anyone use it before :D

markolomew

Post by markolomew » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:55 pm

vtboard wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:18 pm
Are you planning on adding any back buttons? I was also wondering if the 6 in front feels cramped. Thanks
I love the 6 button front layout. I have it set up as Top Row: L1, Y, X. Bottom Row: R1, B, A. I wasn't going to add back buttons, but I've decided to add PSX games, so I'm doing (at least) 2 buttons on the back using Erik_gee's (glitch'd gaming) board for the L2, R2 buttons. I'm EXTREMELY temped to get Erik_gee's new 4 button back board, but then I'd just be mirroring the L1, R2 buttons from the font with the back. (i.e. Front: Top Row: L1, Y, X. Bottom Row: R1, B, A. Back: Top Row: L1, R1. Bottom Row: L2, R2).

the 6 on the front don't feel cramped to me. It's definitely more natural to use the ABXY buttons over the newly added L1,R1 buttons, but it's not bad by any means. Originally I wanted the front 6 so I wouldn't have to have any back buttons. I HATE that the game boy won't lay flat bc of the back buttons. But oh well. :)

markolomew

Post by markolomew » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:57 pm

HoolyHoo wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:31 pm
Great job Mark! I’m really liking that white on white. Haven’t seen anyone use it before :D
I'm curious how the White on White comes out. I have a white screen protector and white psp1000 joystick for it as well. So White on White on White on White. Just in case it comes out a little plain, I have a back up plan of hydrographics dipping it with that Mario Bomb picture listed next to it. That could make it quite cool as well. We'll see!

moooarcuuuus

Re: Markolomew's Builds - Circuit Sword Builds - UPDATED

Post by moooarcuuuus » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:48 am

Good work.

Question: On your website you write that you are using a larger 640x480 screen, I assume it is the from Kite. How did you install it? How did you grind the case and how far did you cut out the front?

Can you show a picture with a Gb turned on?

http://8bitmark.com/product/gameboycm3_01/
Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep... Game Over

markolomew

Post by markolomew » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:23 am

moooarcuuuus wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:48 am
Question: On your website you write that you are using a larger 640x480 screen... How did you install it?
I'm glad you pointed that out! I ended up not installing the 640x480 screens after all and need to update those links to reflect the 320x240 screens.

Honestly, don't waste your time with the 640x480 screens. They look terrible and are really fragile. The 320x240 screen is really the better choice.

UPDATE:
Site has been updated with correct info. Thanks again for pointing that out!!!

AntFJ

Post by AntFJ » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:54 pm

The green and red are freaking awesome.

moooarcuuuus

Post by moooarcuuuus » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:02 pm

markolomew wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:23 am
moooarcuuuus wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:48 am
Question: On your website you write that you are using a larger 640x480 screen... How did you install it?

Honestly, don't waste your time with the 640x480 screens. They look terrible and are really fragile. The 320x240 screen is really the better choice.
The 640x480 screen is great and the picture is amazing. The problem is the width.
Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep... Game Over