WHITE & BLACK GBZ (my first build, No AIO, Pi Zero W, 4000mah battery, JST connectors) [COMPLETED]

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
tinkerBOY

Re: WHITE & BLACK GBZ (my first build, No AIO, Pi Zero W, 4000mah battery, JST connectors) [COMPLETED]

Post by tinkerBOY » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:35 am

Congrats! Very nice looking build. 👍
New! tinkerBOY PowerSwitch v1.0 with Safe Shutdown
Game Boy Zero Controllers available @ tinkerBOY.xyz * Support
tinkerBOY Controller v3.0 - built-in usb controller, usb audio, and usb hub
tinkerBOY Controller v2.0 - GPIO buttons and builtin PWM Audio and Amplifier
tinkerBOY Controller v1.1 - simple pcb button
* DPI Adapter - better display for GBZ
* keyboard converters - IBM XT/AT Soarer's Converter | ADB to USB Converter

rodocop

Re: WHITE & BLACK GBZ (my first build, No AIO, Pi Zero W, 4000mah battery, JST connectors) [COMPLETED]

Post by rodocop » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:13 am

Very nice build! I love the black and white before, i've build a very similar one myself! One thing to look into that will really look nice, check out the stormtrooper theme by HoolyHoo, it really matches the black and white theme. (RxBrad theme is great, but i prefer the stormtrooper only for black and white builds)

You can find the theme download in the first post here.

https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic ... 893#p28893

Merlin

Post by Merlin » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:44 am

Thanks,unfortunately I can not see the images in the HoolyHoo thread...but I downloaded his theme and I'll try it for sure!

Rodocop,you are one of the most expert builder here,I still have some things to solve in my build (like volume wheel behaviour,switching audio from usb to hdmi,etc...)but one in particular is annoying me:
Safe Shutdown works fine to gracefully shutdown the system but when battery goes low,it hangs the system!
What do you think about?

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:32 pm

Ah yeah. I see now the pics in his thread are dead. Either way it's a good theme.

In regards to the safe shutdown. I've only used cambles safe shutdown once. And it did also cause slowdown issues with the battery monitor portion. (When the battery indicator warning popped up the system would essentially freeze.) In the end I removed the battery monitor feature (bridged two points on the board, check cambles thread I believe it mentions what to bridge.) The safe shutdown feature still worked great though.

That was the reason I only used the safe shutdown once.

I can't help much with hdmi to USB audio. Since I have not tried to plug in hdmi while using USB sound before. Maybe if you turn the pi on with hdmi plugged in it will use that instead? Does it not work when you plug hdmi in while the system is already running?

Also here is a Google pic show hoolyhoos build and theme.

https://goo.gl/images/UYtGSR

Merlin

Post by Merlin » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:07 pm

Bridging BCM17 to 3.3 V is an hardware solution to bypass low battery alert,with the new Safe Power Monitor,it can be disabled by software,setting in the script "None" to "batteryGPIO".
However I would not give up this useful function.

About HDMI audio,unfortunately even if I turn on the pi with hdmi connected,the deafult audio sound card remains setted to usb.

HoolyHoo's theme matches perfectly to my build!

Merlin

Post by Merlin » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:52 am

Small update,following this thread: https://sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=4585
(Thanks to VeteranGamer,Rodocop,HoolyHoo and all involved!)

I added an ADS1015 in combination with HoolyHoo's Mintybatterymonitor script to monitor battery level and to have an on-screen battery meter icon.
SpoilerShow
and I put the small ads1015 board on the side of battery compartment:
SpoilerShow
Then disinstalled Camble's Safe Shutdown script and installed a slightly modded version of HoolyHoo's Mintybatterymonitor script.
Now I have safe shutdown capability, on-screen battery monitoring and video alerting that works perfectly toghether.
SpoilerShow

amee

Post by amee » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:23 am

Hi, can you please share your script and how you monitor battery level ? My own project of gbz in progress and i'm waiting for Camble's Safe shutdown board and until delivery continue planning :) Thank you

eggbowl

Post by eggbowl » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:34 pm

nicely done. this is impressively clean for a build with no 3d printed parts.

Merlin

Post by Merlin » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:25 am

amee wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:23 am
Hi, can you please share your script and how you monitor battery level ? My own project of gbz in progress and i'm waiting for Camble's Safe shutdown board and until delivery continue planning :) Thank you
My script is identical to HoolyHoo's Mintybatterymonitor script except some mods.
You can install a fresh version of HoolyHoo's Mintybatterymonitor script then open "MintyShutdown.py" with sudo nano and edit the following lines:

shutdown_btn = Button(7, hold_time=1)
monitor_btn = Button(19, hold_time=2)
shutdown_btn.when_held = shutdown
monitor_btn.when_held = togglestate
pause()

to:

shutdown_btn = Button(27, pull_up=False, hold_time=0.3)
monitor_btn = Button(11, hold_time=2)
shutdown_btn.when_held = shutdown
monitor_btn.when_held = togglestate
pause()

Save and it's done!
Obviously,you must wire your safe shutdown board correctly,following Camble's schematics using a Bangood/Gearbest generic powerboost,otherwise this will not work!
And you must add the following lines to config.txt file:
dtoverlay=gpio-poweroff:gpiopin=22,active_low="y"

You can find a well descripted procedure in this my previous post:

https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic ... 130#p66483

amee

Post by amee » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:41 am

Great! Than you! Already found this post. But what about ads1015 how connect it to the scheme with camble safe shutdown? ( as i inderstand if i install HoolyHoo’s script i should remove camble script?) and may be someone can give advice how to get audio output?