New to Gameboy Zeros

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
n64reeve

New to Gameboy Zeros

Post by n64reeve » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:36 pm

Hey everyone, Reeve here.

So a few months ago I was going through some old stuff and found my old Game boy SP. Unfortunately the battery seemed to be dying and it couldn't really hold a charge anymore. I was looking for repairs online when I stumbled across GameBoyZero guides! I was immediately interested.

Anyways I've been reading a few guides and have always been confused about which components are necessary mainly for Audio and L & R triggers. I've seen the custom PCBs for the GBZ but they always seem to be sold out. I saw some advertised on ebay and amazon, however they don't seem to slots for the L and R bumpers.

My main reason / motivation for wanting to undertake a build is to learn, and to make a handheld emulator for GBA games so I can relive my childhood playing the MegaMan BattleNetwork games, so if anyone knows of good guides about how to make a GBZ using one of the cheaper pcbs off of ebay/amazon that would be amazing!

Thanks!

YaYa

Re: New to Gameboy Zeros

Post by YaYa » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:46 pm

Welcome to the forum !

Please use the search button, it’s really your best friend :D
All your wuestions has been covered dozen of times !

For triggers and boards, head to the sale forum, you will find everything with hundreds of pages of testimonials :mrgreen:

Have a nice build !
Follow me on instagram Image

n64reeve

Post by n64reeve » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:50 pm

Wow! Thanks for the quick reply!

I'll be sure to take a look at all those resources you'v pointed out!

Thanks!

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:24 am

Hey there, to answer your question about L and R. Even if the common ground (simple) pcbs do not show L and R, you can still use them. In most cases you will wire your buttons to the Pi's GPIO pins, or a teensy (I reccomend the GPIO route), in this case you would just wire the L and R to the Pi only, not the PCB. Here is a handy guide for wiring GPIO buttons.

https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57

As for audio, for the simplest option, all you need is an amp, connected to the pi's GPIO's again. With a speaker. A volume wheel and headphones jack are optional parts if you choose to use them. You can find amps on adafruit or ebay etc...Recently I have tried an I2s audio amp from adafruit, and the quality is much better than PWM.

Another option for audio is USB sound card, which again, sounds better than PWM, but used the pi's only usb slot, which is not that big of a deal. If you need more USB, you'll need to install a smal USB hub as well.

I have also created a parts list for parts I use, you can have a look. The wiki also has links too. If you need help with wiring etc...Let us know when you get to that point.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rtSxEq ... p=drivesdk