using batteries in parallel

Hardware-related questions that don't fit into any of the specialized hardware categories go here.
Surgical_Precision

using batteries in parallel

Post by Surgical_Precision » Sun May 13, 2018 9:49 am

Ordered a circuit sword. Looking for batteries, I initially couldn't find a pack I liked but I could find a cell that had the perfect height and width, and one third the max thickness. My idea was to wire them up in parallel, but I've since come across some info that said that you shouldn't do that. That you should only charge cells in parallel, and only discharge in series (provided you don't have a fancy circuit to balance everything). Is that correct? Does anyone have experience with this? Is there a way to still use my three cells without additional expense or should I consider this a learning experience and buy a proper battery pack instead?

ThompsonTinkers

Re: using batteries in parallel

Post by ThompsonTinkers » Sun May 13, 2018 11:28 am

Lipos are pretty risky to mess with. If anything goes wrong, you end up with a fire that you can't put out with an extinguisher.

The biggest issue with this approach is that lithium cells can discharge far more current than they can accept when charging. If one cell discharges into the others, well, flame on... :shock: