daddelkischde AIO PCB

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
floppes

daddelkischde AIO PCB

Post by floppes » Thu May 17, 2018 2:34 pm

Today I'd like to show you my first Game Boy Zero which I built with a PCB my friend Chris designed (and I reviewed): daddelkischde. The name is German in a southern dialect and not easy to translate. "Play box" could fit :geek:

When Chris showed me some Game Boy Zeros last October on the net, I was hooked right away. But we both didn't like the many components glued into the case and it was hard to get Kite's AIO, so we decided to create our own PCB. v0.1 did not work, but v0.2 is here and it works perfectly :)

The features:

- buttons are connected to shift registers, behave like an SNES controller (driver: gamecon_gpio_rpi) and use only three pins on the Pi
- PCB and STL for shoulder buttons with conductive pads
- LiPo charger and boost converter (same ICs as on Adafruit PowerBooost 1000 Charger), charge and play simultaneously
- micro USB port for charging
- solder pads for LEDs: charging, charging finished, low battery
- stereo poti to control volume
- stereo headphone jack
- mono amplifier for speaker
- ADC to measure battery voltage (Python script available to display battery icon on display)
- 2-port USB hub (one free internal port, one external USB A port)
- optimized for HDMI display

If there is demand, we could produce a batch for about 50 € + shipping per piece.
1.jpg
Front
1.jpg (50.68 KiB) Viewed 6343 times
2.jpg
Back (yeah, I messed up the drilling, the buttons are not in line :/ )
2.jpg (69.09 KiB) Viewed 6343 times
3.jpg
Volume control on the left side
3.jpg (36.38 KiB) Viewed 6343 times
4.jpg
USB A port for external devices, micro USB port for charging on the right side
4.jpg (39.15 KiB) Viewed 6343 times
5.jpg
Inside, during assembly
5.jpg (267.99 KiB) Viewed 6343 times
6.jpg
Almost fully assembled, except for the dummy cartridge with LEDs
6.jpg (116.9 KiB) Viewed 6343 times
7.jpg
PCB top
7.jpg (56.21 KiB) Viewed 6343 times
8.jpg
PCB bottom
8.jpg (69.01 KiB) Viewed 6343 times
9.jpg
Shoulder buttons
9.jpg (21.29 KiB) Viewed 6343 times
Last edited by floppes on Thu May 17, 2018 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VeteranGamer

Re: daddelkischde AIO PCB

Post by VeteranGamer » Thu May 17, 2018 9:37 pm

Really nice (you friend did really good)...

Also good to see a HDMI screen being used....

At around €40, you will definitely see demand....

Good luck if you do decide to list these in the For Sale section of this forum...

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Thu May 17, 2018 9:49 pm

Nice looking board. I'm sure you will have some interest.

Few things:

Personal preference. But I prefer the shoulder buttons to be farther apart. These seem pretty close.

It would also be nice to have access to the sd card from the contrast slot. I understand why it is not though. And it is not necessary.

Have you guys considered using a barrel jack for charging to fit the original dc port, and then volume wheel where the microusb is and sd in the contrast?

Just me being picky. But overall it looks very nice. I'd consider buying one.

floppes

Post by floppes » Fri May 18, 2018 1:17 am

Thanks for your feedback!

I just noted that I had a typo in the estimated price, it's 50 €, not 40.

@rodocop

We experimented with the position of the shoulder buttons. I had them even closer together on my first case (the black one):
1.jpg
1.jpg (197.93 KiB) Viewed 6271 times
The closeup photo in my first post of the shoulder button PCB shows the one for the black case.
We will stretch the pads on the PCB to be flexible with the position of the conductive pads. The 3D printed part will then determine the actual position of the buttons and I can make different versions of the STL.

We thought about the SD card but decided it's not necessary and would be another ~1,50 € on the bill. If someone wants to have access to it, he has to build it by himself. It could be put into the dummy cartridge or somewhere at the bottom.

We wanted micro USB for charging as most people (including ourselves) have spare USB chargers from old phones at home. I think we will stay withe the current layout, it took enough time to get all components perfectly arranged ;)

ekilla

Post by ekilla » Fri May 18, 2018 5:13 am

I like it. I would buy one.
Btw. since you soldered your HDMI cable yourself, if you take a 90° HDMI plug or a very short standard one on the full size end, you could get rid of the HDMI Adapter that came with the display. Than you can plug your cable directly into the display and you should be able to leave the cartridge slot as it is, without cutting the whole thing away.

Tas262

Post by Tas262 » Sun May 20, 2018 3:22 am

I'd definitely be interested if you put these into production.

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Tue May 22, 2018 11:57 am

floppes wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 1:17 am
Thanks for your feedback!

I just noted that I had a typo in the estimated price, it's 50 €, not 40.

@rodocop

We experimented with the position of the shoulder buttons. I had them even closer together on my first case (the black one):

1.jpg

The closeup photo in my first post of the shoulder button PCB shows the one for the black case.
We will stretch the pads on the PCB to be flexible with the position of the conductive pads. The 3D printed part will then determine the actual position of the buttons and I can make different versions of the STL.

We thought about the SD card but decided it's not necessary and would be another ~1,50 € on the bill. If someone wants to have access to it, he has to build it by himself. It could be put into the dummy cartridge or somewhere at the bottom.

We wanted micro USB for charging as most people (including ourselves) have spare USB chargers from old phones at home. I think we will stay withe the current layout, it took enough time to get all components perfectly arranged ;)
Totally makes sense. I don't expect you to make changes! If i built one using this PCB I would just place an LED for charging status in the DC port to not leave it empty. I agree that micro USB in more convenient. Since people usually have so many of those cords laying around!

And yeah, for the shoulder buttons it's all personal preference. And if there is a bit or wiggle room, people can place them wherever they want.

floppes

Post by floppes » Wed May 23, 2018 1:27 pm

@ekilla
You're right, I could have used another HDMI plug. But we had the flat ones here already so I used one of them ;) If they run out I will switch to the 90° version.

@rodocop
One could use an RGB LED in the DC port and display all three states with it. There are never two or more LEDs on at the same time, just one or none. Maybe for my next build... 8-)

Here are two pictures with the LEDs inside the cartridge:
IMG_20180523_204346.jpg
IMG_20180523_204346.jpg (48.95 KiB) Viewed 5944 times
IMG_20180522_205317.jpg
IMG_20180522_205317.jpg (97.76 KiB) Viewed 5944 times

spacemishka

Post by spacemishka » Thu May 31, 2018 5:06 am

Ich würde mich auch dafür interessieren :D.

Grüße aus dem Norden