Elite Wii U Gamepad with RetroPi 3

Want to show off your own project? Want to keep a build log of it? Post it here!
Misturbubles

Re: Elite Wii U Gamepad with RetroPi 3

Post by Misturbubles » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:38 am

IrieMars,

First, thank you for the wonderful post.

Did you have to mod the case for the screen or did you change the size in the code? If you did change it digitally, could you post the settings you used? I'll be undergoing this project very soon.

IrieMars

Post by IrieMars » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:53 am

Misturbubles wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:38 am
IrieMars,

Did you have to mod the case for the screen or did you change the size in the code? If you did change it digitally, could you post the settings you used? I'll be undergoing this project very soon.
I just rotate the screen. The ratio of the screen can be changed via the RetroPie options.

Misturbubles

Post by Misturbubles » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:30 pm

IrieMars wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:53 am
Misturbubles wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:38 am
IrieMars,

I just rotate the screen. The ratio of the screen can be changed via the RetroPie options.
Thank you very much for the response!! I should have known there was no cutting the screen opening when the original bezel is used. Thank you again.

Misturbubles

Post by Misturbubles » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:57 pm

Hey everyone!!

I'm working in my audio circuit. When everything is connected, I only get this loud buzzing coming out of the speakers.

Could anyone give me some advice on what happening? Any help out be greatly appreciated

IrieMars

Post by IrieMars » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:15 am

Misturbubles wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:57 pm
Hey everyone!!

I'm working in my audio circuit. When everything is connected, I only get this loud buzzing coming out of the speakers.

Could anyone give me some advice on what happening? Any help out be greatly appreciated
Did you change the code to use a USB device instead of the audio jack right? So you basically have to use a USB audio out device, gut it, and wire everything to that, not the jack that comes on the pi.

Misturbubles

Post by Misturbubles » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:45 pm

IrieMars wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:15 am
Misturbubles wrote:
Hey everyone!!

Did you change the code to use a USB device instead of the audio jack right? So you basically have to use a USB audio out device, gut it, and wire everything to that, not the jack that comes on the pi.
Thank you for your response.

Yes, I did change the code to usb audio. I get great sound out of the jack on the USB but once I connect the pot, amp and speakers, I only get the buzzing. Any suggestions?

IrieMars

Post by IrieMars » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:49 am

Misturbubles wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:45 pm
IrieMars wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:15 am
Misturbubles wrote:
Hey everyone!!

Thank you for your response.

Yes, I did change the code to usb audio. I get great sound out of the jack on the USB but once I connect the pot, amp and speakers, I only get the buzzing. Any suggestions?

Try removing the POT and have the speakers wired to your AMP. I had the same issue with the dial POT and ended up removing it from the set up. You can also order a amp with a built in POT (which is what I ended up using).

BlueWeaselBreath

Post by BlueWeaselBreath » Sun May 27, 2018 12:17 pm

IrieMars, thank you for the great resource here. I’d like to try it for myself. Knowing what you know now, if you were going to start again from scratch, what would you use for your battery setup, if you wanted a chargeable, portable situation? It sounds like the uBoost would not get your full endorsement as a solution, but I inferred maybe the external power solution you landed upon was more of a compromise than the ideal, so I’m wondering what you’d recommend for someone starting a new project like this.

IrieMars

Post by IrieMars » Thu May 31, 2018 7:59 am

BlueWeaselBreath wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 12:17 pm
IrieMars, thank you for the great resource here. I’d like to try it for myself. Knowing what you know now, if you were going to start again from scratch, what would you use for your battery setup, if you wanted a chargeable, portable situation? It sounds like the uBoost would not get your full endorsement as a solution, but I inferred maybe the external power solution you landed upon was more of a compromise than the ideal, so I’m wondering what you’d recommend for someone starting a new project like this.
Honestly, I never fully got the battery charger working. For some reason it wouldn't boot up the Pi no matter what battery source I used. By that point in the project I had everything working with the exception of that. I got lazy and decided to just have a external battery source. However what I was planning on using was a flat lithium battery from a cell phone I had laying around. However looking back I don't think I would have had the space for it. So I suggest doing what Banjo did on his build and go with a couple AA rechargeable batteries.

BlueWeaselBreath

Post by BlueWeaselBreath » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:53 am

Thank you! So I reckon the battery charger you just mentioned is the charging board you listed in your materials list but noted that you didn’t end up using.

And I noticed that the best builds I’ve seen don’t use a heatsink. I know every millimeter of space is precious, but I have seen some relatively flat/short Pi heatsinks — did you never have problems with overheating on yours while you had it? I know when I play PSX games on my TV-connected Pi, if I don’t open the top of the case to allow ventilation, I get an Overhearing notification thermometer icon onscreen pretty quickly. I’d just hate to do all this work, then slag my Pi within 20 minutes of playing.