Collecting information on alternative displays - please contribute

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
Cannikin

Re: Collecting information on alternative displays - please contribute

Post by Cannikin » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:20 am

joe7dust wrote:I saw you are using an RPi2, have you tested this display on a RPi0? I'm curious if there is any performance impact.
I just used the Pi2 for the demo since I had several of them and can connect the display easily (the headphone jack is actually a TRRS connector which supports composite video + audio).

I'm using that display in my completed GBZ and it works great! I wish it was a *little* clearer (we're spoiled by all the ultra high res smart phone displays) but until someone comes out with a display this size that supports HDMI natively (and with a very thin connector) this is probably as good as we're gonna get.

joe7dust

Post by joe7dust » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:29 am

Cannikin wrote:
joe7dust wrote:I saw you are using an RPi2, have you tested this display on a RPi0? I'm curious if there is any performance impact.
I just used the Pi2 for the demo since I had several of them and can connect the display easily (the headphone jack is actually a TRRS connector which supports composite video + audio).

I'm using that display in my completed GBZ and it works great! I wish it was a *little* clearer (we're spoiled by all the ultra high res smart phone displays) but until someone comes out with a display this size that supports HDMI natively (and with a very thin connector) this is probably as good as we're gonna get.
Cool that is good to know. I've never had my hands on any pi besides the zero but considering the tininess of the zero and the comparison photos online I don't see any major reasons you couldn't use a pi2 in the GBZ if you wanted to. Worse case scenario you might have to do some creative modding of the shell and form factor might increase slightly.

Cannikin

Post by Cannikin » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:19 pm

joe7dust wrote:
Cannikin wrote:

Cool that is good to know. I've never had my hands on any pi besides the zero but considering the tininess of the zero and the comparison photos online I don't see any major reasons you couldn't use a pi2 in the GBZ if you wanted to. Worse case scenario you might have to do some creative modding of the shell and form factor might increase slightly.
Yeah if you do a little searching you'll see people using Pi2 and Pi3 instead. Removing the USB and Ethernet jack makes it pretty slim.

joe7dust

Post by joe7dust » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:02 am

tronicgr wrote:
joe7dust wrote:
tronicgr wrote:
I'll try to find a 5v to tap supply for the RPI zero from the screen, to save placing second booster if I can. But that is not bad idea to run the RPI zero from 3.3v directly. I'll look into it.

Thanks
Thanos
This thread has all the info on it. On the 2nd page I asked for proof since a mod/veteran flatly told me running it off 3.3-3.7v was not possible. He recanted that statement after seeing this thread. https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 3&t=127210

I cracked it open the portable LCD ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/291709734092 ). It has regulated 3.3v, 5.2v and 12v output on certain points on the board. Its a little bulky but it seems that its going to fit fine in the Gameboy case with no trimming with the connectors, switch and buttons of the LCD nicely reach the edge to have access to them. And yes, there is a small speaker in there!! ;)

IMG_20160610_060933.jpg

IMG_20160610_060844.jpg

IMG_20160610_060739.jpg

IMG_20160610_060636.jpg

Thanks
Thanos
Does that have a model # anywhere on it? I saw you took some photos of the internal boards but I didn't see much identifying besides "QN-3 5BAT rev01", and the earlier pics of the outside don't seem to have a part# or model # on them either.

Also, have you had success connecting it to the pi and running? I'd love to see some pics of it in action or even a video! ;)

yousai

Post by yousai » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:09 am

Mad_Duke wrote:I've ordered this little display:
http://www.buydisplay.com/default/3-5-i ... iver-board
See also my thread: http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=484

I can confirm these work with 5V as well, I removed the U4 IC and connected the two bare pins at L9.

But don't trust the included harness! It has a black and red cable, whose polarities are switched! I don't know what they thought of when they did this, but it's printed correctly on the circuit board. So I accidentally connected it first with the wrong polarity and I fried the little coil at L1. It still works when I shorted that connection, though so I'm good.

There's a little annoying flicker but I'm unsure wether it's from the display itself of the source (haven't tested it with the RPi yet, only an old N64).

The LCD is the exact same size as most others here, like the Adafruit one.

tronicgr

Post by tronicgr » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:18 am

joe7dust wrote:
tronicgr wrote:
joe7dust wrote:
This thread has all the info on it. On the 2nd page I asked for proof since a mod/veteran flatly told me running it off 3.3-3.7v was not possible. He recanted that statement after seeing this thread. https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 3&t=127210

I cracked it open the portable LCD ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/291709734092 ). It has regulated 3.3v, 5.2v and 12v output on certain points on the board. Its a little bulky but it seems that its going to fit fine in the Gameboy case with no trimming with the connectors, switch and buttons of the LCD nicely reach the edge to have access to them. And yes, there is a small speaker in there!! ;)

IMG_20160610_060933.jpg

IMG_20160610_060844.jpg

IMG_20160610_060739.jpg

IMG_20160610_060636.jpg

Thanks
Thanos
Does that have a model # anywhere on it? I saw you took some photos of the internal boards but I didn't see much identifying besides "QN-3 5BAT rev01", and the earlier pics of the outside don't seem to have a part# or model # on them either.

Also, have you had success connecting it to the pi and running? I'd love to see some pics of it in action or even a video! ;)

I'm about to try it in a few minutes. I left it in its case for now and hooked up external wires to see the quality of the image first.

I'll make a new thread for it if it's suitable.

Thanks
Thanos

dominator

Post by dominator » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:30 am

Here is the 3.5" screen that I bought off eBay. Maybe someone has posted it before, I don't know without going through all 22 pages ;)

Here is the link http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222089004685 it was £10.11/$14.39/€12,76. It took 3 weeks to arrive.

Tested working with 5v out of the box, with no other mods, though the pcb is too long and will need cutting.
Cheers,
Dom.

joe7dust

Post by joe7dust » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:34 am

[spoiler="Wow... dat plug n play."]
dominator wrote:Here is the 3.5" screen that I bought off eBay. Maybe someone has posted it before, I don't know without going through all 22 pages ;)

Here is the link http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222089004685 it was £10.11/$14.39/€12,76. It took 3 weeks to arrive.

Tested working with 5v out of the box, with no other mods, though the pcb is too long and will need cutting.
Cheers,
Dom.
[/spoiler]

Congrats man! Is that one of the screens on the wiki already?

dominator

Post by dominator » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:42 am

joe7dust wrote:[spoiler="Wow... dat plug n play."]
dominator wrote:Here is the 3.5" screen that I bought off eBay. Maybe someone has posted it before, I don't know without going through all 22 pages ;)

Cheers,
Dom.
[/spoiler]
No, I think with this board there may be a issue, as Retrorednek has got one, see on page 20 :
Retrorednek wrote:
witti wrote: If its working anyway, maybe you could cut of a bit of the pcb, it looks like theres a lot of free space. You could try to see that using the flashlight trick @wermy used with the micro usb breakout board.
witti
I was thinking about that too until I checked out Wermy's guide where he uses the same board as an example: "The one on the left is too wide to fit in the Game Boy without cutting the edges a bit. Worse, though, it doesn’t work with some screen modes (some resolutions seem to just blink for no reason including some boot screens, as well as the Doom main menu), and has horrible image ghosting after staying on a screen for more than a few seconds (I tried it with both 5V and 12V)."
I will need to check it some more.

joe7dust

Post by joe7dust » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:47 am

[spoiler="ohhh...."]
dominator wrote:
joe7dust wrote:

Cheers,
Dom.
No, I think with this board there may be a issue, as Retrorednek has got one, see on page 20 :
Retrorednek wrote:
witti wrote: If its working anyway, maybe you could cut of a bit of the pcb, it looks like theres a lot of free space. You could try to see that using the flashlight trick @wermy used with the micro usb breakout board.
witti
I was thinking about that too until I checked out Wermy's guide where he uses the same board as an example: "The one on the left is too wide to fit in the Game Boy without cutting the edges a bit. Worse, though, it doesn’t work with some screen modes (some resolutions seem to just blink for no reason including some boot screens, as well as the Doom main menu), and has horrible image ghosting after staying on a screen for more than a few seconds (I tried it with both 5V and 12V)."
I will need to check it some more.
[/spoiler]Well that sucks for you, but if you get it going that will be a nice contribution to the rest of us for figuring it out. Gl with the testing. ^_^

I'd love to know if anyone here has experience with using a Serial SPI display. Found an amazing deal on one for about $5, and made a post about it here.