Onscreen battery and HoolyHoo's script HELP.

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
FlashyFrank

Onscreen battery and HoolyHoo's script HELP.

Post by FlashyFrank » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:30 pm

Hello, I have been building my second GBZ and this time I am trying to add an onscreen battery monitor with the HoolyHoo script and a 'ads 1115'.

I know I need to edit the script in order to get it to work with the ads 1115 but I am not sure which file to edit or even what edits need to be made. Can someone point me to some info?

Another problem is I am having trouble loading the script onto my pi in the first place. I followed the directions listed "https://github.com/HoolyHoo/MintyComboScript" but upon restarting the pi and SSHing into the 'boot' directory there is no 'mintypi' directory for me to edit the pinfile.txt.

I tried reinstalling the script a few times and nothing seems to change. Anyway to manually install the script? Any tips or

rodocop

Re: Onscreen battery and HoolyHoo's script HELP.

Post by rodocop » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:32 am

try installing the Mintybatterymonitor script, instead of the minty combo script, I have had issues with the combo script before.

https://github.com/HoolyHoo/Mintybatter ... /README.md

Start a fresh SD card and try that.

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:34 am

as for the changes for an ads1115, check here, i think it is mentioned in this thread:

https://sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4585

this is the file that would need to be edited: MintyBatteryMonitor.py

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:20 am

FlashyFrank wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:30 pm
Hello, I have been building my second GBZ and this time I am trying to add an onscreen battery monitor with the HoolyHoo script and a 'ads 1115'.

I know I need to edit the script in order to get it to work with the ads 1115 but I am not sure which file to edit or even what edits need to be made. Can someone point me to some info?

Another problem is I am having trouble loading the script onto my pi in the first place. I followed the directions listed "https://github.com/HoolyHoo/MintyComboScript" but upon restarting the pi and SSHing into the 'boot' directory there is no 'mintypi' directory for me to edit the pinfile.txt.

I tried reinstalling the script a few times and nothing seems to change. Anyway to manually install the script? Any tips or

i can only speak from my own experience.....

you might have better luck with the other script Mintybatterymonitor (as Rodocop advised)

but i couldnt get the ADS1115 to work for me (Mintybatterymonitor script)....
i'm not actually sure if its proven that editing/changing the script works, and also if ADS1115 conflicts/has issues with the adafruit library...
as it alway had some sort of error after installing the script (and i tried a couple of different ADS1115)
just my own experience....

however i have used the ADS1015 a few times with great success and without any issues (and there really isnt much difference)...
(just follow Hoolyhoo instructions and it works like a charm)

FlashyFrank

Post by FlashyFrank » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:52 pm

Thanks for the replies. I will try this out and worst case I'll just order some of the ads1015's.

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:56 pm

Yeah. I've always just used the 1015's since I know they work. Hopefully you can get it sorted!

FlashyFrank

Post by FlashyFrank » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:48 pm

Ok, after a fresh install of everything and using the MintyBatteryMonitor link provided above and then editing the code using the link provided I was able to get the onscreen battery icon to display. But I keep running into other problems.

On one of the installs I got the battery icon to work but the gpio buttons where not responding for some reason. So I did another fresh install and I got it all working, but after a reboot I was not able to connect to my wifi. I thought the SSH might have been disabled but no, then I noticed I had no ip address?!?

So I plugged in another SD card I had laying around with retropie on it and it connected to the wifi just fine. I seem to fix one problem to only find another. Im going to mess around more this weekend and hopefully I will get it working 100%.

FlashyFrank

Post by FlashyFrank » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:45 pm

So I am running into a strange issue now. Using a fresh install of everything keeps resulting in my audio being terrible. It is so loud and crunchy with excessive noise, WAY MORE THAN NORMAL!

To check if its a hardware or software thing I put in an older copy of retropie that I have used on another build. No audio problems with the other install.

But every fresh install keeps messing the audio up. Anyone have any ideas?

Im just adding this line 'dtoverlay=pwm,pin=18,func=2' to the bottom of my config.txt. Same as I always have. :(

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:17 am

Copy the config.txt from the good SD to this one. If you have no IP address then enable the wifi, HoolyHoo's usually has it turned off be default so use the button combo to turn it back on.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

FlashyFrank

Post by FlashyFrank » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:10 pm

I copied the config file over to the new sd card and I still get the terrible audio. This is so strange. Im wondering if its the sd card somehow. I will try with a new sd card when I can get one.