Preview: 1st CS build, custom 3d printed parts set.

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
eltoozero

Preview: 1st CS build, custom 3d printed parts set.

Post by eltoozero » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:29 pm

First of all, thanks to wermy, Kite, HoolyHoo, and erik_gee for their contributions to the GBZ project.

Downloads are here on github, problems please file an issue on github if you can so I can track it.

I'll write some stuff, but I know everyone just wants pics, so here ya go.

I got my CS parts a week ago from the most recent pre-order and upon unpacking I immediately got to work printing out the needed support components on my beater RepRap, but quickly had more questions than answers emerged; clearly this wasn't going to be the plug-and-play adventure I'd envisioned.

Details on my parts:

LCD Bracket
SpoilerShow
There were some contours that didn't jive with me, and since I'm doing a clear build I desired more control over the final product, this one was pretty easy and only took two prototypes to get a functional part I was satisfied with.
- Needs the other two buttons added, should be trivial, I only wanted 4 on my build.

Back Button Bracket
SpoilerShow
I actually emailed Kite for some info on the components the pcb was designed around that wasn't in the wiki, once it was clear it's not really a solved problem how this thing is installed in the case, I got to work. This took maybe a dozen revisions to get right, in the end it functions glue-less using the support bracket that also supports the back board.
- Needs additional versions for 4-button and tact switch configs, I need reference parts to do this.

Back Button Support
SpoilerShow
This one was tricky, and I'm the least satisfied with this design aesthetically, but it prints well and functions for it's purpose, also keeps the entire cartridge slot intact and unmodified.
- Make it look less crappy.
- Needs relief for wiring.

Speaker Cover
SpoilerShow
Simple, I just didn't like the concept of gluing the speaker, and the tolerances are correct that this just press fits and stays snug once the case is closed.

Power Board Support
SpoilerShow
Different approach than HoolyHoo, single part solution.

Back Board Support
SpoilerShow
Hadn't seen this one and it's a basic variation of the otherwise much more complicated: Power Board Support.

Cartridge Plate & Fan Duct
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
This guy took some thought and effort, and only functions as cleanly as it turned out due to luck, the tolerances are super tight. Kapton or double-sided tape the fan to the support bracket, then use a double stack of 3M VHB to hold the duct in place on the CM3.
- I'm "exhausted" working on this one.
- There's probably some optimization potential though.

I design stuff in SCAD, so my designs are all naturally "parametric" source code and thus can be iterated and modified using the same CSG logic from which they are produced: numeric translations and rotations, intersections, unions and differences of basic 2d and 3d primitives to produce a final "solid" object STL file which is output to the slicer for production on a 3D printer.

I'll be selling these parts once I get the extruder upgraded on my "other" 3D printer, these are fine for personal use but please don't sell them unless I'm not, further you are free and encouraged to modify these designs as long as I retain credit and am not artificially restricted from production and sale of designs based on my source code.

It's not going to help anyone to pull these into normal CAD software and make changes, if you want to "help", learn SCAD and fork the source; witness the Genealogy of the "Greg's Wade's Geared Extruder" to see what happens when a quality SCAD design can flourish as source code.

hartsmooth

Re: Preview: 1st CS build, custom 3d printed parts set.

Post by hartsmooth » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:55 pm

Awesome. I love the duct! Such an elegant solution.

I assume the whole build is glueless? Would certainly love to buy a full set of parts if/when you start selling.

eltoozero

Re: Preview: 1st CS build, custom 3d printed parts set.

Post by eltoozero » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:13 pm

hartsmooth wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:55 pm
I assume the whole build is glueless? Would certainly love to buy a full set of parts if/when you start selling.
So I’m gluing my front bracket down, but if you trust the CS board to hold the LCD bracket, that’s what would retain the top four mounting posts.

Yes you can go glueless, but in my estimation you could slightly pry the top half of the case with your fingers if you did that. Not ideal.

If you want glueless and external appearances aren’t a major factor: four countersunk screws going in the sides of the LCD bracket would do it, at least that’s what’s been knocking around in my head.

Would be easy to add (optional) screw relief to the design.