A New CM3 Handheld Kit is in town (RKDR2)

Want to show off your own project? Want to keep a build log of it? Post it here!
DIYEngineering

A New CM3 Handheld Kit is in town (RKDR2)

Post by DIYEngineering » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:40 am

I've made a few handhelds now, they all tend to be custom from the ground up, this time around I've challenged myself in creating a new model.

Built around the PI CM3, a custom developed AIO host board (integrated boost, stereo audio, power monitoring, active thermal control, yata-yata), custom milled body and personalizable aspects (button colors and custom bezels) it's my best work.

I am currently finishing up the production aspects of the design and just recently opened pre-orders for it for delivery this fall.

Most of my build log are in my social feeds, but here are a few pictures from different phases of development.
http://instagram.diy.engineering

I hope you like it.

preorder info can be found at http://www.diy.engineering/shop
Attachments
temp (10).png
temp (10).png (1.54 MiB) Viewed 5896 times
temp (9).png
temp (9).png (1.96 MiB) Viewed 5896 times
IMG_1055.JPG
IMG_1055.JPG (2.11 MiB) Viewed 5896 times
RKDRII_features.png
RKDRII_features.png (1.07 MiB) Viewed 5896 times
6-21-2018 1-01-17 PM.png
6-21-2018 1-01-17 PM.png (688.7 KiB) Viewed 5896 times
I Make. Checkout my new RKDR2 CM3-based handheld over at http://www.diy.engineering/shop

VeteranGamer

Re: A New CM3 Handheld Kit is in town (RKDR2)

Post by VeteranGamer » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:35 am

really nice work again....

your builds are fantastic.....

just a couple of things....
what is the actually size of the screen 3.5" or 4.3" (not stated anywhere in the description, from what i can see)
also is the headphone socket 2.5mm or 3.5mm (2.5mm is stated in the description, but the standard is 3.5mm)

sygyzy

Post by sygyzy » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:52 pm

What happened to your last kit, from about 8 months ago? Lots of excitement on Youtube. Were they delivered?

DIYEngineering

Post by DIYEngineering » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:28 pm

yea, it is a 3.5" display
the design was built around some mfg constraints, one that I imposed was keeping the thickness under 3/4" (sourcing the exotic hardwoods is much easier...) as a result I was pressed for space to include everything in that space, one of the compromises was using a 2.5mm headphone jack to save a couple mm in height. I use an adapter (2.8mm->3.5mm) but I realize it's not ideal for most folks.
I don't use headphone jack much so it doesn't really bother me. :)
I Make. Checkout my new RKDR2 CM3-based handheld over at http://www.diy.engineering/shop

DIYEngineering

Post by DIYEngineering » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:42 pm

sygyzy wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:52 pm
What happened to your last kit, from about 8 months ago? Lots of excitement on Youtube. Were they delivered?
yes, I had a bunch of orders, they were all fulfilled, but these handhelds always have room for improvement...

I learned a lot in that project, how to improve it for mfg, eliminate the things I didnt like about it and take it to the next level while learning a lot.

so once I finished the orders, I stopped selling to focus on the next version... this version (RKDR2)
I dont make much money on these projects, they pay for tools, supplies and shipping for short mfg runs, but they take a lot of time.
the cycle is determined by the interest, because at the end of the day, I'd go broke if all I do is research and design. :)

sygyzy

Post by sygyzy » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:40 am

I appreciate the response. I really admire your work on Youtube but your projects kind of make a big splash or announcement on Reddit (and now here) but then I don't hear much after so I was just curious to hear the full story (ie idea to delivery). I am definitely interested in this. Great looking build.

Killar

Post by Killar » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:21 am

Hi :) Does this include some other buttons ? i can't se anything in the description regarding shoulder L & R buttons ?