My First Gameboy Zero

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
isaakrydel

My First Gameboy Zero

Post by isaakrydel » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:27 pm

I know it's nothing special, but here's my first GBZ. I'm very much a beginner when it comes to working with electronics, so I'm super pleased I got this thing working. The TinkerBoy board I used made everything 10x easier.
IMG_1775.JPG
IMG_1775.JPG (2.88 MiB) Viewed 6819 times
IMG_1774.JPG
IMG_1774.JPG (2.09 MiB) Viewed 6819 times
IMG_1768.JPG
IMG_1768.JPG (3.92 MiB) Viewed 6819 times
It's my goal to make a PI3 gameboy next. I'd like to integrate 2 analog sticks, a DPI screen, and an HDMI out. If I ever get around to it, I'll definitely post some pics. I'm waiting on the DPI screen adapter from TinkerBoy. Looks very promising!

rodocop

Re: My First Gameboy Zero

Post by rodocop » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:19 pm

I've only used tinkerBOY's simple common ground PCB, but I really enjoyed how he had power and audio routed through it. His other boards make things even easier!

This is a very nice first build. How do you like that screen bracket, I have seen that one on thingiverse, but have not tried it.

Do you have the battery bay cut out? How to you attach it at the bottom?

isaakrydel

Post by isaakrydel » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:50 pm

rodocop wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:19 pm
I've only used tinkerBOY's simple common ground PCB, but I really enjoyed how he had power and audio routed through it. His other boards make things even easier!

This is a very nice first build. How do you like that screen bracket, I have seen that one on thingiverse, but have not tried it.

Hey, thanks for the comment!

Yes, the tinkerBOY boards are super helpful and simple. When he releases the DPI adapter, I'd really be interested in making another gameboy with his boards.

Thank you very much! The screen bracket held the screen well, but the button wells were mediocre. I had to make some modifications to make them fit the buttons and even after that, it wasn't a perfect fit. I would've rather had just the screen bracket with no button wells and used seperate higher-quality button wells.

I do have the battery bay cut out. It's held in with some hot glue on the inside. The gameboy actually fit together without the 2 bottom screws quite well.

kiwiboyus

Post by kiwiboyus » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:38 pm

isaakrydel do you have any more pictures of the inside of your build? I'm doing one with the same build and trying to figure out the best placement of all the parts.

spacemishka

Post by spacemishka » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:59 pm

Looks nice. One thing to mention: the diameter of standard DMG-Buttons is 11mm. Looks like you drilled 12mm.

tinkerBOY

Post by tinkerBOY » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:40 am

isaakrydel wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:50 pm
rodocop wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:19 pm

Hey, thanks for the comment!

Yes, the tinkerBOY boards are super helpful and simple. When he releases the DPI adapter, I'd really be interested in making another gameboy with his boards.

Thank you very much! The screen bracket held the screen well, but the button wells were mediocre. I had to make some modifications to make them fit the buttons and even after that, it wasn't a perfect fit. I would've rather had just the screen bracket with no button wells and used seperate higher-quality button wells.

I do have the battery bay cut out. It's held in with some hot glue on the inside. The gameboy actually fit together without the 2 bottom screws quite well.
My tinkerBOY DPI Adapter v1.0 is now available: https://sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 316#p65316. 👍😊
New! tinkerBOY PowerSwitch v1.0 with Safe Shutdown
Game Boy Zero Controllers available @ tinkerBOY.xyz * Support
tinkerBOY Controller v3.0 - built-in usb controller, usb audio, and usb hub
tinkerBOY Controller v2.0 - GPIO buttons and builtin PWM Audio and Amplifier
tinkerBOY Controller v1.1 - simple pcb button
* DPI Adapter - better display for GBZ
* keyboard converters - IBM XT/AT Soarer's Converter | ADB to USB Converter

isaakrydel

Post by isaakrydel » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:03 pm

kiwiboyus wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:38 pm
isaakrydel do you have any more pictures of the inside of your build? I'm doing one with the same build and trying to figure out the best placement of all the parts.
Unfortunately, I don't. :/ I sold it awhile back. My placement of the parts wasn't very good anyways. It caused shorting out every now and then. I hope your build is going (or went) well! :)

phreaky

Post by phreaky » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:56 am

cool !