Checking in progress on 1 disk

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
tedmo

Checking in progress on 1 disk

Post by tedmo » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:09 pm

Hello,

When I boot up my pi, it goes through a rather lengthy process that reads "Checking in progress on 1 disk" and goes from 0% to 100%. The task can take around 45 seconds to a minute and happens each time I boot. I have looked online and only found information that goes a bit above my head (and not even that much info to begin with). From what I can tell, it has to do with resetting the pi incorrectly or a time issue, but I am unable to fix it.

I have reinstalled a fresh copy of retropie several times and it persists.

rodocop

Re: Checking in progress on 1 disk

Post by rodocop » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:14 pm

I've noticed that on retropie v 4.4. I have not looked into a fix. So I just use v 4.3.

codeman0624

Post by codeman0624 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:22 pm

tedmo wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:09 pm
Hello,

When I boot up my pi, it goes through a rather lengthy process that reads "Checking in progress on 1 disk" and goes from 0% to 100%. The task can take around 45 seconds to a minute and happens each time I boot. I have looked online and only found information that goes a bit above my head (and not even that much info to begin with). From what I can tell, it has to do with resetting the pi incorrectly or a time issue, but I am unable to fix it.

I have reinstalled a fresh copy of retropie several times and it persists.
I had the same issue. If you add "fsck.mode=skip" to /boot/cmdline.txt it will skip that check on boot

tedmo

Post by tedmo » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:29 pm

Thanks for the quick response, but that doesn't seem to stop it from checking.

codeman0624

Post by codeman0624 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:55 pm

tedmo wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:29 pm
Thanks for the quick response, but that doesn't seem to stop it from checking.
Check the rest of the cmdline.txt file and make sure there's no other mention of fsck.mode

tedmo

Post by tedmo » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:00 pm

There is a reference to fsck.repair=yes.

tedmo

Post by tedmo » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:41 pm

I just went with Rodocop's suggestion and bumped it back down to 4.3. It seemed like the Safe Shutdown wasn't working with 4.4 either.

GunZi

Post by GunZi » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:50 am

I'm on retropie 4.4 and here's how I managed to do it:

Go to file manager and open folder /etc, from there you can find two files. One is ".fstab" and another is simply "fstab" without the dot. They both contain 3 lines of code. I edited (Press F4) both files so that the last two digits in each line is 0 0. That worked for me.

To save you simply press Ctrl+x -> Y -> Enter, then type

Code: Select all

sudo reboot
to restart the system.

As I understand it, this disables something called "fsck" which is responsible for checking the disk. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fsck Whether this is a clean solution I can't answer, is seems to work and thats good enough for me... until I notice something... If I encounter problems I will come back and comment :)

Edit: Since you are on retropie 4.3 would you mind checking if the last two digits in these "fstab" files are 0 0? Just wondering why the problem is solved by downgrading to 4.3

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:04 am

GunZi wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:50 am
I'm on retropie 4.4 and here's how I managed to do it:

Go to file manager and open folder /etc, from there you can find two files. One is ".fstab" and another is simply "fstab" without the dot. They both contain 3 lines of code. I edited (Press F4) both files so that the last two digits in each line is 0 0. That worked for me.

To save you simply press Ctrl+x -> Y -> Enter, then type

Code: Select all

sudo reboot
to restart the system.

As I understand it, this disables something called "fsck" which is responsible for checking the disk. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fsck Whether this is a clean solution I can't answer, is seems to work and thats good enough for me... until I notice something... If I encounter problems I will come back and comment :)

Edit: Since you are on retropie 4.3 would you mind checking if the last two digits in these "fstab" files are 0 0? Just wondering why the problem is solved by downgrading to 4.3
I use this same method and it works well, you can also use nano on the terminal to edit the file as well.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:05 pm

just edited the fstab files to 0 0, now the disk check is skipped! much better.