questions about the mintyPi v3

General mintyPi-related chat goes here. Share ideas, ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums, etc.
LilTrublMakr

V3 questions

Post by LilTrublMakr » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:57 pm

So I just started to look into making either a GBZ or MintyPi and decided to go for the MintyPi for the reason of being more compact (and lets not lie, I do a lot of traveling and like to show things off... So a MintyPi would be awesome :D ) . Now I know the mods and admins have probably looked at my name (I really don't cause that much trouble) and joined date and realizing that it was today. But I promise, I have done a fair amount of research.

I get the v3 controller board will be coming soon™. (as evidenced by this (which would make it today :D ) and many, many, MANY posts of the same thing of 'soon'™) so I won't go there. Take your time and make it the best as you possibly can and thank you to Wermy and Helder for all the hard work and dedication that they have put into this project.

So here are my questions:
-Will v3 come as a kit like v2 did in being that it will include the controller board, screen+PCB for that, and the ribbon to connect the screen and the controller board?
If so, will the screen be 2.2 or 2.4 in?

-What will the buying limit be for the boards?

-Will there be a 3.5mm headphone jack as well as a speaker? If not, what should I be looking for to make sure that I get the right jack to automatically switch from headphone to speaker? Just one with 5 pins in it?

Wermy specific:
-Will your awesome new faceplate be available in time for v3?

-Will it come with the silicone buttons or will those be separate?

-Would there be a possibility in the future to get a 2 toned faceplate in the future? (I think a black and red one would be awesome...)

/end Wermy specific.

-Will the rest of the parts be the same? (basically everything but the 3D printed parts, screws, monitor/controller PCBs) I want to start sourcing parts and getting them in but don't want to buy what I don't need to buy.

That's all I can think of for now... I'm sure I'll have a few more later.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: V3 questions

Post by Helder » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:50 pm

Ok so if you look here:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BkEXeeblPts ... _copy_link

You will see that there is a headphone jack built in, there will be all new parts for the Face Plate and bezel and base. Alot of things have not been revealed yet because I don't want to reveal them all yet but over the next weeks it'll all start to be revealed. There is the latest reveal of the new custom Silicone Button Membranes you linked to in Wermy's Other Instagram post.

So I'd say maybe 1-2 months preorders will be ready and be well worth the wait, DON'T BUY ANYTHING UNTIL ALL IS REVEALED!! Many things have been integrated into the build so I don't want people spending money on things thinking that they will need it for the V3 when they don't.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

dryja123

Post by dryja123 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:58 pm

I can answer a few questions for you but can't go into too much detail because some things are still unknown.
LilTrublMakr wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:57 pm
-Will v3 come as a kit like v2 did in being that it will include the controller board, screen+PCB for that, and the ribbon to connect the screen and the controller board?
If so, will the screen be 2.2 or 2.4 in?

V3 will come with a kit including mostly everything you need to complete a build. You won't need to buy nearly as many parts as you would for previous versions.

I can't comment on the specifics for the screen but V3 will include a completely new custom screen.
LilTrublMakr wrote:
-What will the buying limit be for the boards?

I don't think there will be a buying limit
LilTrublMakr wrote:
-Will there be a 3.5mm headphone jack as well as a speaker? If not, what should I be looking for to make sure that I get the right jack to automatically switch from headphone to speaker? Just one with 5 pins in it?

The new board will come included with built in sound and will include a headphone jack. You will still have an option to add a speaker too.
LilTrublMakr wrote:
-Will your awesome new faceplate be available in time for v3?

I can answer a few questions for the boss. Yes, I'd imagine the new faceplate will be able for purchase and the STL files will be posted sometime after launch.
LilTrublMakr wrote:
-Will it come with the silicone buttons or will those be separate?

Helder provides the silicone buttons and they will most likely be included with the kit but I'm not sure.
LilTrublMakr wrote:
-Would there be a possibility in the future to get a 2 toned faceplate in the future? (I think a black and red one would be awesome...)

Wermy takes special orders on prints, just shoot him a PM.
LilTrublMakr wrote:
-Will the rest of the parts be the same? (basically everything but the 3D printed parts, screws, monitor/controller PCBs) I want to start sourcing parts and getting them in but don't want to buy what I don't need to buy.

Rule #1: do not buy any parts unless you know exactly what you need or you'll be wasting your money. We often see so many posts, "Hey, I bought everything I need but don't have the V2 kit". That person wasted all that money because v2 kits won't be available anymore. When the release looms closer an updated parts list will be published. We'll, I guess you could start sourcing some tins so you could start eating some mints. Your friends and significant others will love your fresh breath!

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:02 pm

Only guaranteed part you need is a tin, some files and drill bits and of course a soldering iron and solder. Soldering Skills IS A MUST HAVE as well as a continuity meter (cheap $6 ones work just fine).

Oh an a Pi Zero W is also needed with 8gb or bigger SD card.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

LilTrublMakr

Post by LilTrublMakr » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:46 pm

dryja123 wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:58 pm
We often see so many posts, "Hey, I bought everything I need but don't have the V2 kit". That person wasted all that money because v2 kits won't be available anymore.
Yeah, I was all excited to buy a board and then sad to see that they were discontinued. That's when I saw something about v3 and started to dig in to that. But just a thought on that: I would make sense to me to make it a little more clear in the market, posts, and wiki page that people should hold off on buying parts because of v3. It would probably help the new people like myself to realize that it isn't possible to build a MintyPi right now.

-----

I am glad to see that a lot of things are integrated to the board now. But in a way, it's kind of sad too. I was actually looking forward to the challenge of soldering everything together and finding problems and fixing them. Maybe make a pack that I have to solder all of the components on to bring the challenge back? In any case, I also see the good side of it as it would help the mass of people that really don't have any soldering skills. I plan on helping my girlfriends kids to make one of their own (which was the reason for asking about a purchase limit) so a more completed board could be like an introduction for them. (It also gets them into the early days of gaming ;) )

I used to make LED lights such as traffic lights, pool lights, street, lights, and some bulbs that are commercially available. My soldering isn't the best but they should be good enough for this project.

AnarchyBaS

Post by AnarchyBaS » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:51 am

How are things coming along for the v3 of the mintypi board?
Are there any updates for the time being?
I'm really looking forward to the new kit, can't wait to make my own!

KonnorJ

Post by KonnorJ » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:33 pm

Any updates we have are on wermy or helders instagram.

Priisholm

questions about the mintyPi v3

Post by Priisholm » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:23 am

Hey

i am posting her so hopefully that you dont need to answers this 3000 times.

1) Will you make a full kit?

2) Where from do you ship (for EU tax laws)

I am sure that thier will be more questions, and thanks in advands for the answers

Simon

dryja123

Re: questions about the mintyPi v3

Post by dryja123 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:04 am

Hi Simon,

I'm sure some will offer a full kit but Helder will most likely not. It's already a lot of work to source the parts that go into the mintyPi.

Helder ships from the US but ships as a gift on the customs form. You won't have to worry about taxes.

Priisholm

Re: questions about the mintyPi v3

Post by Priisholm » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:38 am

dryja123 wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:04 am
Hi Simon,

I'm sure some will offer a full kit but Helder will most likely not. It's already a lot of work to source the parts that go into the mintyPi.

Helder ships from the US but ships as a gift on the customs form. You won't have to worry about taxes.
Thanks.
And i understand the truble for sourcing the parts.

Just hope that it dosent get to expensiv