Game Boy Zero case CAD files

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
Kuusetsu

Re: Game Boy Zero case CAD files

Post by Kuusetsu » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:35 pm

neolith wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:25 pm
Kuusetsu wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:49 pm
So from my experience printing this on both a Dremel 3D20 and my Anycubic Kossel Plus, the default scaling of the model's button wells is just a hair too small, but the print otherwise seems to be the right size. Are DMG buttons not supposed to fit?
Hi, sorry to hear you are having problems with the model.

Yes, the original DMG buttons are suposed to fit. I just checked the CAD model, the holes are 10.75mm in diameter. The is exactly the same diameter as the holes in my two original Game Boy DMG cases. Is it possible that the plastic in the print slightly deformed when cooling? That would be one explanation. Another might be that not all original DMG cases (and hence probably not all buttons) are exactly the same size. Some are off by half a millimeter or so in some parts. And so are repro cases.

Either way, if you want to edit the model, the .F3D format comes with the whole edit history and should allow you to adjust the model to your needs without too much trouble.
Thank you very much! It's very possible that I need to adjust print settings. I'm kind of new to 3D printing, so I'm still experimenting with what works best on my printer. One quick question: Do you think tinkerBOY's Controller Board 3.0 and a stripped Pi 3 fit in this? Or should I extend the width a bit?

neolith

Post by neolith » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:10 pm

Kuusetsu wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:35 pm
Thank you very much! It's very possible that I need to adjust print settings. I'm kind of new to 3D printing, so I'm still experimenting with what works best on my printer. One quick question: Do you think tinkerBOY's Controller Board 3.0 and a stripped Pi 3 fit in this? Or should I extend the width a bit?
Unfortunately I can't give you much advice on printing as I don't own a printer.

Regarding the controller board and the Pi: I am not familiar with the board and I have not used a stripped down Pi3 in my own GBZ, but everything that fits into an ordinary case should fit here, too. I tried to keep the model as close as possible to the original.
– "The biggest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." –

Jackasaur

Post by Jackasaur » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:44 am

I'm surprise to not see more people commenting on this. Has anyone ever delved into making a Gameboy Pocket shell?

neolith

Post by neolith » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:26 pm

Jackasaur wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:44 am
I'm surprise to not see more people commenting on this. Has anyone ever delved into making a Gameboy Pocket shell?
You mean as a CAD model? I haven't seen any around here so far.
– "The biggest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." –

Jackasaur

Post by Jackasaur » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:33 pm

neolith wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:26 pm
Jackasaur wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:44 am
You mean as a CAD model? I haven't seen any around here so far.
Yeah. I'm printing this case right now by the way. We'll see how it turns out. :]

neolith

Post by neolith » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:09 pm

Jackasaur wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:33 pm
Yeah. I'm printing this case right now by the way. We'll see how it turns out. :]
Good luck with your print!

Jackasaur

Post by Jackasaur » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:34 pm

neolith wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:09 pm
Jackasaur wrote:
Question, does this shell fit any GBZ PCB or was it made specifically for Kite's AIO?

DieselDummy

Post by DieselDummy » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:58 pm

Jackasaur wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:34 pm
neolith wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:09 pm
Jackasaur wrote:
Question, does this shell fit any GBZ PCB or was it made specifically for Kite's AIO?
Every pcb I have has fit, printed one a while ago to use but have yet to actually do it. The PCBs that I know fit are:
-tinkerBoy's v1.1 and v3.0
-erik_gee's AIO v1.0
-kite's CSO original

Hope that helps

Jackasaur

Post by Jackasaur » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:00 pm

Printed the front!

neolith

Post by neolith » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:31 am

Jackasaur wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:34 pm
The model wasn't made for a specific board. Since all the measurements were taken on an original Game Boy DMG all PCBs that fit that one should fit here, too. Unless I screwed up that is. :lol:

Nice print! :)