Neopixel lamp idea

Got an idea for a project? Found a cool project you want to share? Post it here!
Broomhill

Neopixel lamp idea

Post by Broomhill » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:59 pm

I really like the neopixel lamp idea Wermy presented a while back. I've been giving it some thought and would like to make one for my son (depending on how it comes out for my nieces as well).

I'd like it to have two modes.
First, similar to Wermy's example, it would change color based on time. Although instead of gradual, it would be just a few colors. The goal is for the kid to associate the colors with what they should be doing (sleeping, getting ready for bed, bath time, etc...).

The second mode would be interactive. There would be a range sensor you put your hand in front of and it changes color based on the distance.

I have an ultra sonic sensor from an arduino starter pack, would that have enough resolution for mode 2? Anyone have a suggestion for switching between modes? I've got a surplus of power switches and figured one for on/off would be fine but I'd like something more interesting for the mode select.

I'm open to other suggestions or advice to fully plan out the build.

wermy
Site Admin

Re: Neopixel lamp idea

Post by wermy » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:49 pm

Hi,
Cool ideas - I like the bed/bath/sleep color changing ideas! Might have to make one light that for my kids. :)

For the distance sensor mode, from what I've read those sonic sensors can work well up to about 250cm. There are plenty of other options out there, like this infrared sensor: https://www.adafruit.com/product/164

Good luck! Would love to see how it turns out. :)
ImageImageImageImage

Hellweaver666

Post by Hellweaver666 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:22 am

Hi,

So I have good news - the code for the alarm part already exists. Pimoroni do a nightlight kit and have some example code in a tutorial on their website. I've made two very similar things for my kids (one using this exact setup and another using an ESP32 and a neopixel ring)

https://learn.pimoroni.com/tutorial/tan ... larm-clock

The distance sensor by itself should be pretty trivial too. I guess where things get tricky is making it resume nightlight mode when the distance sensor isn't in use!

Broomhill

Post by Broomhill » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:46 am

Thanks Wermy! That infra red sensor looks more applicable, will most likely go that route. I just need to order some clear filament. I can't decide if I want to do the base in black or try wood filament and maybe stain it. Has anyone here had positive results staining wood filament?

Hellweaver666, that's awesome, thanks for the link. I'll dig into that code and see how much I can figure out while waiting for parts.