Game Boy Zero case CAD files

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
Sw0rd

Re: Game Boy Zero case CAD files

Post by Sw0rd » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:54 pm

Thanks for the great files neolith!

Here's the start of my "GBZ Woody" project :) First test cut of the front shell in a scrap piece of walnut, a double sided CNC operation. The outside turned out pretty good, but the inside will need some modifications. Probably have to enlarge some of the stand offs and button guides and maybe make the outer wall a little thicker. In the end, I'll be using a more dense piece of wood. Possibly some purpleheart or jatoba, etc.

This is my first venture into a GBZ and I'm not quite sure what else I will need here or if I could maybe 3d print an insert instead of machining the inside parts. Just getting a start and learning/figuring it out as I go.
IMG_20181018_221842.jpg
Outside
IMG_20181018_221842.jpg (2.57 MiB) Viewed 18498 times
IMG_20181018_222223.jpg
Inside
IMG_20181018_222223.jpg (2.37 MiB) Viewed 18498 times

Killar

Post by Killar » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:34 am

I would be Very interested in a complete case if you deside on manufactoring this, And selling them. :D
Sw0rd wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:54 pm

Here's the start of my "GBZ Woody" project :) First test cut of the front shell in a scrap piece of walnut, a double sided CNC operation. The outside turned out pretty good, but the inside will need some modifications. Probably have to enlarge some of the stand offs and button guides and maybe make the outer wall a little thicker. In the end, I'll be using a more dense piece of wood. Possibly some purpleheart or jatoba, etc.

This is my first venture into a GBZ and I'm not quite sure what else I will need here or if I could maybe 3d print an insert instead of machining the inside parts. Just getting a start and learning/figuring it out as I go.

IMG_20181018_221842.jpg

IMG_20181018_222223.jpg

mrdude42

Post by mrdude42 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:50 pm

Whoa! @sw0rd that looks awesome!

Sw0rd

Post by Sw0rd » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:26 pm

Thanks, we'll see how it goes and at some point, I'll start a proper build thread. Going to have to make some modifications to the inside. Will have to dig into the Fusion file and see what I can do. Not real adept with Fusion360 yet so it's not so easy going.

DieselDummy

Post by DieselDummy » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:42 pm

Watching tutorials online is extremely helpful. Nice work on the case!

neolith

Post by neolith » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:09 am

That looks really cool!

I thought about making a wooden GBZ when I worked on the model, but couldn't manage to find a carpenter or a contractor with the right tools to create the shells for me without having to pay several hundred €. :(
I am really glad to see that someone else succeeded! :)
Sw0rd wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:26 pm
Going to have to make some modifications to the inside. Will have to dig into the Fusion file and see what I can do. Not real adept with Fusion360 yet so it's not so easy going.
If you need any help with modifications for the model, just write me a mail and I'll see if I can help you. :)
– "The biggest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." –

Sw0rd

Post by Sw0rd » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:04 pm

Thanks neolith, I might just take you up on that! I'm thinking of making the inside of the shells much more solid. For the inside of the front shell, I think that the area around the wells can be extruded up to the level of the top of the wells, leaving the standoffs the only part that is proud. The standoffs for mounting the board could be made larger in diameter for drilling and also to keep them from splitting from the screws. I was also thinking a surround that would position the screen in the right spot would be good. It also might be good to add just a little more to the wall thickness, as the lips are quite fragile. I'll work through what I can. Waiting on a few parts yet.

How about a separate model for the cartridge? I could then 3D toolpath cut one of those out of a contrasting material and possibly even some text and or a simple logo. I see one on Thingiverse https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2076431, not sure about fit though. Not sure about the battery cover yet, but maybe just use some magnets to keep it in place. These will be later on.

Yeah, it's quite and involved operation to machine one. The outsides are best done as a 3D relief toolpath with a 1.5mm ball nose tool and the insides with a straight end mill. I did a 3D toolpath on the inside, and while it worked, it does take a long time for it to raster back and forth/up and down to complete it. At least a couple of hours for each face. A mostly 2d strategy would be better on the inside. After that, then there's the sanding and finishing. By the time it's all said and done, they would be a bit pricey. There's a lot of optimization that could be done for the toolpaths, but need to get other things worked out first.

Jackasaur

Post by Jackasaur » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:50 pm

Sw0rd wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:54 pm

IMG_20181018_221842.jpg

IMG_20181018_222223.jpg
Looks way better than my 3D Printed one :D

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:34 pm

Awesome result !
Follow me on instagram Image

Sw0rd

Post by Sw0rd » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:35 pm

:D To bad they don't make walnut, mahogany, maple, cherry, etc. colored wood pla!

I'm working on the 3rd proto of the front half. Pretty slow going with available time and editing the file without breaking other parts of it. I've made it thicker on the inside face, a well for the LCD, and sturdier stand offs to be able to screw the board down.