Screen problems

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
Firescore

Screen problems

Post by Firescore » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:08 pm

When ever I connect my board to the screen with the ribbon cable I just get nothing, just black. Occasionally I will get a faint long beeping noise and if I REALLY fiddle with it i will occasionally get a flash of a pale white screen. I have no idea how to fix this or what I did wrong as I have checked all of my soldering several times and all of the connections are good even with the screen when I hook it up.

This is a link to a video that I made showing off what is happening along with my soldering
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JtkHDW ... OYUnC/view

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: Screen problems

Post by Helder » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:21 pm

You need to make it easier for us to see the video and other things. Don't use private Google drive links if you want any kind of help from people.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:08 pm

Firescore wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:08 pm
When ever I connect my board to the screen with the ribbon cable I just get nothing, just black. Occasionally I will get a faint long beeping noise and if I REALLY fiddle with it i will occasionally get a flash of a pale white screen. I have no idea how to fix this or what I did wrong as I have checked all of my soldering several times and all of the connections are good even with the screen when I hook it up.

This is a link to a video that I made showing off what is happening along with my soldering

only going by what the video shows....

if you believe everything is soldered correctly (taking your word for this)

firstly connect everything up
(thats the screen to the ribbon cable, the ribbon cable to the mintyPi board)

reformat your SD card, and install a fresh mintyPi V4 .img
(insert the newly installed SD card to the Pi Zero)

Now
connect the power and see what happens....

if this all fails...
well then its over to Helder :shock:

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:18 pm

Firescore wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:08 pm

First and foremost you plug everything in after you connect the LCD board to the Main PCB otherwise the LCD will not come on at all. It need to be connected during boot and will show the back light once it reaches a certain point in the boot process like 30 or so seconds. You are not doing this as it's clearly shown in the video.

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Firescore

Post by Firescore » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:40 pm

Ok so i plugged the Screen into the Board with the ribbon cable before I plugged it into power and waited about five minutes and still nothing happened. I also know my img works because if I plug it into my monitor it boots up and I am able to use it.

Movie002

Post by Movie002 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:02 pm

:) I am having a similar problem, except mine was working fine until I did a hard shut down. (Unplugged the power cable.)

Update: I fixed my issue it, turned out that the ground pin was not soldered to the button pcb correctly.

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:29 am

Firescore wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:40 pm
Ok so i plugged the Screen into the Board with the ribbon cable before I plugged it into power and waited about five minutes and still nothing happened. I also know my img works because if I plug it into my monitor it boots up and I am able to use it.
i would still suggest to reformat and install a fresh .img
(starting a fresh never hurts)

but more importantly, check you soldering...
they screen/board is not a complicated bit of equipment that could have issues with it....

if its not getting the correct and proper connections, then it just wont function as it should....

check you soldering.....
(start specifically with the screen connection point.... reflow if need be)

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:27 pm

Check continuity from the Pi GPIO to the LCD test points, one of the pads is mislabeled on the LCD board but it's easy to see which it is.

Also redo a few GND points like the GPIO below the A button GPIO, it's an extra GND and might fix your problem.

Firescore

Post by Firescore » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:34 pm

VeteranGamer, where is the screen connection point located and im assuming you would check for continuity with a multi meter

Firescore

Post by Firescore » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:47 pm

Ok so i checked the connection with the LCD test points on the button pcb and the screen and they show continuity. I also re soldered a few of the extra GND points and it is still not working.