Minty Pi v3 FAQ

General mintyPi-related chat goes here. Share ideas, ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums, etc.
LilTrublMakr

Re: Minty Pi v3 FAQ

Post by LilTrublMakr » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:16 pm

Big update!:

Everything is working. Preorders in 2ish weeks (For real this time!). Keep an eye on here, Wermy's Instagram, and Helder's Instagram for more info. (Source | Source 2) (As of Oct 28)

Jock boy

Post by Jock boy » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:48 am

Hi,

at the risk of this being a stupid question....

In case UK pre-orders don't reach the demand levels required for Helder to consider shipping batteries i've been looking around to try and find a battery supplier with the right dimensions.

However i'm not getting much luck, can anyone recommend a battery supplier that provides batteries with the right dimensions and mAh that meet the specs for this design and that ships to the UK?

Kind regards

Jock

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:30 pm

The battery I use is custom but there are other batteries that can fit like the S3 batteries and many others people use in their GBZ. The HTC Evo 3D kind of batteries also can work but these are less mAh than what I provide but this is the reason I went with a custom battery.

You will still get more game time with these batteries than the ones we used for v1/v2 which was 1200mAh so don't despair if you can't get one I provide, others can suffice but of course with less mAh.

Problem is many battery sellers don't state dimensions so you're sometimes left guessing on the buy if it will fit or not.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:38 pm

I will be opening a preorder thread for custom decals and blank tins for those willing to get rid of the altoids tins (maybe you don't like their taste :lol: )
Small stuff to set up and i will be ready before the end of the week. Just in time for the grand opening of the preorder for V3 :D
AltoidAssembly_2018-Nov-05_06-53-54PM-000_CustomizedView22051437745.png
AltoidAssembly_2018-Nov-05_06-53-54PM-000_CustomizedView22051437745.png (512.07 KiB) Viewed 7714 times
AltoidAssembly_2018-Nov-05_07-24-26PM-000_CustomizedView25695427683.png
AltoidAssembly_2018-Nov-05_07-24-26PM-000_CustomizedView25695427683.png (488.97 KiB) Viewed 7714 times
AltoidAssembly_2018-Nov-05_07-44-03PM-000_CustomizedView26594478883.png
AltoidAssembly_2018-Nov-05_07-44-03PM-000_CustomizedView26594478883.png (342.73 KiB) Viewed 7714 times
AltoidAssembly_2018-Nov-05_07-44-03PM-000_CustomizedView2659447568.png
AltoidAssembly_2018-Nov-05_07-44-03PM-000_CustomizedView2659447568.png (401.08 KiB) Viewed 7714 times
Follow me on instagram Image

LilTrublMakr

Post by LilTrublMakr » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:06 pm

Those look pretty sick! I'll put a link to the preorder when you post it.

The Cheese Biscuit

Post by The Cheese Biscuit » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:25 pm

Those are some nice decals, but alas, I feel like I have to use the empty Altoids tin I've kept on my desk for the past 6 months.

Looks like I'm ordering 2 kits...
"I'm not actually a biscuit."

Apis

Post by Apis » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:23 am

@Helder or @Wermy

The last update talked about the new push buttons on the screen and body of the Minty pi. What did you end up using those for?

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:28 pm

The one on The LCD bezel we made it function as a save state button and holding the mode button and pressing it will do a load state, at least that was the plan.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Apis

Post by Apis » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:38 am

Helder wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:28 pm
The one on The LCD bezel we made it function as a save state button and holding the mode button and pressing it will do a load state, at least that was the plan.
Cool, thanks!

Wailer

Post by Wailer » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:41 am

LilTrublMakr wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:35 pm
I will try to get the most frequently asked questions in one place... If you see something that should be added, please feel free to PM me here or ping me on the Discord server (probably the better option). I will try to post all the sources I can find also.

Q: When will preorders begin?
A: Another 2 weeks. A part that was chosen is now no longer being made. A new part is now being sourced. (Source) (As of Nov 10)
Keep an eye on here, Wermy's Instagram, and Helder's Instagram for more info.
Everything is working. Preorders in 2ish weeks.(Source | Source 2) (As of Oct 28)
Soon™. But in all seriousness, either this week or next week if all goes well. (As of Oct 23) (Source)
Probably in a couple of months (lastest as of Sep 26). Parts are still being sourced and tested to give you the best possible experience of building the MintyPi.

Q: How long after preorders close will shipping begin?
A: About 2 months. This wait is to get all the parts ordered, in, bundled, and packaged. (Source)

Q: How much will v3 cost?
A: A rough guestimation is around $80. (Source.)

Q: What parts will I need to buy?
A: The only guaranteed parts that you will need to buy separately are the Pi 0 (W) itself, 8 GB or greater SD card, and the tin itself (most people use an altoids tin). (Source) Any orders outside of the US will also need to source their own battery (see below). Rule of thumb right now is to not buy anything else until we know what we are getting.

If you don't have access to a 3d printer, you will also need to purchase the 3D printed parts. It is unknown at this time what the price for those will be.

If you do have access to a 3D printer, the STL files will be released. (Source)

Q: What kind of battery will come with V3
A:
US: 2200 mah battery. (Source | Source 2 | Source 3) Only the first 500 US orders will get the custom battery.
UK/EU: As of now, you will need to source your own batteries but if there are enough preorders in Europe/United Kingdom, Helder will "will have some batteries made and shipped to the UK to sell to people over in Europe." (Source)
Other international orders will need to source their own batteries. Maximum dimensions should be 51mm x 58mm x 5mm. (Source ss taken w/ Helders permission)

Q: What else will I need?
A: A soldering iron and solder (63sn/37pb or close to w/ flux). Both can be obtained for cheap. If you have never soldered before or it has been a while, it's recommended to get a practice board from OshPark to practice on before diving in to the real thing.
A multimeter w/ continuity checker is also strongly recommended but not required. These can also be obtained cheaply.
And a list of QoL things can be viewed in this blog post.

Q: Will there be a built in headphone jack?
A: Yes. (Source | Source 2)

Q: How big will the screen be?
A: 2.6" (Source | Related image)

Q: Are there any sneak peaks of V3?
A: The best places to get sneak peaks are on Wermy's YouTube channel, Wermy's Instagram, and Helder's Instagram
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And just a few other tid bits:
-New 3D printed parts. Image
-New silicon injection molded buttons. Video

-Tins and decals by YaYa Designs to make your MintyPi look extra cool:Link
Open for preview imageShow
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Changelog:
Nov 10, 18:
-It's gonna be another 2 weeks.

Oct 31, 18:
-Added the wait time between preorders and shipping time.

Oct 28, 18:
-Updated the preorder question with the latest info. (WE ARE GETTING CLOSERERER!!!!)
SpoilerShow
Oct 23, 18:
-Updated the preorder question with the latest info. (WE ARE GETTING CLOSE!!!!)
-----
Oct 21, 18:
-Clarified that the Pi, SDcard, and tin are separate purchases.
SpoilerShow
A: The only guaranteed parts that you will need to buy separately are the Pi 0 (W) itself, 8 GB or greater SD card, and the tin itself (most people use an altoids tin). (Source) Any orders outside of the US will also need to source their own battery (see below). Rule of thumb right now is to not buy anything else until we know what we are getting.
-Added info on 3D parts.
SpoilerShow
Q: What parts will I need to buy?
If you don't have access to a 3d printer, you will also need to purchase the 3D printed parts. It is unknown at this time what the price for those will be.
If you do have access to a 3D printer, the STL files will be released. (Source)
-----
Oct 7, 18:
-Added other tools required for project.

-----
Oct 1, 18:
-Updated the battery section to add the UK/EU.
Not trying to be rude...

Love faq's but this one needs a re-write imho 😉
Just ditch the Strikethrough and keep the faqs that are relevant, this would improve readability a lot :shock: