Osh Park Practice Board use?

General mintyPi-related chat goes here. Share ideas, ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums, etc.
mrnato

Osh Park Practice Board use?

Post by mrnato » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:51 am

Hello!

I few weeks ago I received the Osh Park practice boards for the MintyPi. I noticed that they are a replica of the GPIO pinholes for the RaspberryPi Zero. I am just wondering how we are supposed to practice with them. Are we supposed to put them on the PCB and then take them off? (heat gun and solder sucker)
Thanks!
Also, please tell me if I am supposed to be posting my questions in the help forum or if here is just fine. :)

WorkOne

Re: Osh Park Practice Board use?

Post by WorkOne » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:24 pm

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:31 pm

Sounds like you missed the other board, it's 2 sets. One is for GPIO replica and the other is for the Solder Pads used on the mintyPi.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

mrnato

Post by mrnato » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:57 pm

Ah! Yeah, it looks like I didn't order the other ones. I must've flaked out. Right now I'm debating on the decision of whether or not I should buy the other ones. Could I MacGuyver it and use what I have? Is it worth shelling out the 10 dollars in your opinion?

mrnato

Post by mrnato » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:00 pm

I was thinking, it's just a board with a few metal tabs. I could easily just draw some dots on some cardboard and do it like that, or is the purpose that you can use the multi-meter to see if the connection is good enough?

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:15 pm

mrnato wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:00 pm
I was thinking, it's just a board with a few metal tabs. I could easily just draw some dots on some cardboard and do it like that, or is the purpose that you can use the multi-meter to see if the connection is good enough?
The whole point is to test your soldering abilities and also the multimeter part is vital, believe me if you ruin your boards because you're winging it you'll be very upset. I don't have extras set aside for these kind of mistakes people make so if it ruined then I can't replace it (not like I would without a fee either).

It all depends on your ability and tools if you want the boards for practice or not but if things go bad you'll be wishing you bought those extra boards. Sell the rest off since you might not need 3 sets or you just might.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.