New Pi CM3+ Launched

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
kite

Re: New Pi CM3+ Launched

Post by kite » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:53 am

It is electrically compatible with the CM3, so yes, fully compatible! Mine will arrive tomorrow. According to the blurb, they have clocked it to the same speed as the regular CM3, so as a drop in replacement the only benefit is thermal. However, the Circuit Sword has a highly rated power supply which can handle the CM3+ when clocked at 1.4GHz (default is 1.2GHz). I'll test it out to confirm what is required.

It appears they left it at the same clocks because the CMIO carrier board that it is compatible with isn't up to the task. Won't be the case with the Circuit Sword because the battery is able to supply a large amount of current to fulfil the power needs of the CM3+
Stock clearance - CLOSED: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=12064
Kite's Mailing List: https://goo.gl/forms/e97uUvPOfUxPWdz82
Kite's FAQ: https://kiteretro.com/faq/

ImageImageImageImageImage

Juanje

Post by Juanje » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:31 pm

kite wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:53 am
It is electrically compatible with the CM3, so yes, fully compatible! Mine will arrive tomorrow. According to the blurb, they have clocked it to the same speed as the regular CM3, so as a drop in replacement the only benefit is thermal. However, the Circuit Sword has a highly rated power supply which can handle the CM3+ when clocked at 1.4GHz (default is 1.2GHz). I'll test it out to confirm what is required.

It appears they left it at the same clocks because the CMIO carrier board that it is compatible with isn't up to the task. Won't be the case with the Circuit Sword because the battery is able to supply a large amount of current to fulfil the power needs of the CM3+
So, if we decide to upgrade the Circuit Sword with CM3+, what must we do apart from the physical change?
Should we use another Firmware/Software within the MicroSD?
How about the arduino Leonardo?
Apart for the thermal benefit, does the Wireless Hardware accept dual 2.4/ 5ghz networks as the RPi 3B+, and so, more stability?
Cheers Kite Surfer!

KonnorJ

Post by KonnorJ » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:36 pm

Juanje wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:31 pm
kite wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:53 am

So, if we decide to upgrade the Circuit Sword with CM3+, what must we do apart from the physical change?
Should we use another Firmware/Software within the MicroSD?
How about the arduino Leonardo?
Apart for the thermal benefit, does the Wireless Hardware accept dual 2.4/ 5ghz networks as the RPi 3B+, and so, more stability?
Cheers Kite Surfer!
The wireless chip is not built into the cm3 so kite actually uses a module on the CS itself to handle that, wireless performance will not be effected by the cm3l+ upgrade

WoodMill

Post by WoodMill » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:54 pm

I was kind of curious about the different versions of the CM3+. Lets say it still fits perfectly into the Sword, would there be any benefit at all getting any other version above the Lite version? Or is it unnecessary if we plan on using an SD card anyways. I was a little unclear at first, but seems like it's just a built-in SD card, right?
Follow my Youtube Vlog about Filmmaking
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... P0H6UZe1ds

kite

Post by kite » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:51 am

WoodMill wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:54 pm
I was kind of curious about the different versions of the CM3+. Lets say it still fits perfectly into the Sword, would there be any benefit at all getting any other version above the Lite version? Or is it unnecessary if we plan on using an SD card anyways. I was a little unclear at first, but seems like it's just a built-in SD card, right?
Yeah the ones with memory built in act as the SD, meaning you can't have on-board storage AND an SD card, you can only choose 1!

For anyone curious, replacing the module only doesn't work right now because the software image needs a kernel update in order to work (which then breaks Wi-Fi, until i fix it..). I'll work on releasing a new image to support it soon, however it won't be that soon as I'll only officially support it when I sell those modules in the near future.

Colydog

Post by Colydog » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:01 pm

OK so they will work with a software update but that wont be out straight away so I shouldn't be in a rush to go out and buy one to put in my build I'll be doing in a month? I'm sure in the future ill upgrade this coz I know I'll find a game the needs that extra 0.2mhz to run buttery smooth.

Thanks for the update Kite

kite

Post by kite » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:57 am

I've fixed the software in the latest image now. So from now on it's a simple swap out. Just to note the benefits are very small and 'as is' without overclock, there is literally no difference! The original kit includes a heatsink and fan, so the 'thermal gains' is moot because the fan keeps it well below any downclocking speeds. To anyone reading, you don't need to upgrade :)

Double0EK

Post by Double0EK » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:49 am

kite wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:57 am
I've fixed the software in the latest image now. So from now on it's a simple swap out. Just to note the benefits are very small and 'as is' without overclock, there is literally no difference! The original kit includes a heatsink and fan, so the 'thermal gains' is moot because the fan keeps it well below any downclocking speeds. To anyone reading, you don't need to upgrade :)
Sorry, I haven't been on the forums in a long time but wanted to ask if the new image is only for CM3+ or can it be used with the original CM3 that's supplied with the Circuit Sword? TIA

kite

Post by kite » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:12 am

Double0EK wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:49 am
kite wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:57 am
Sorry, I haven't been on the forums in a long time but wanted to ask if the new image is only for CM3+ or can it be used with the original CM3 that's supplied with the Circuit Sword? TIA
It's all backwards compatible, I wouldn't do something that would disable everything that I've shipped previously! :) so yes, all i've done is update the boot files to increase support for the 'plus' version

papajsantos

Post by papajsantos » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:21 am

Has anyone got any idea if it's compatible with the Freeplay CM3?
Builds:
JankyBoy V1 - worklog
Freeplay CM3 w/ Dual Thumbsticks and L2/R2 - showcase
Infinity Sword (Kite's Circuit Sword Lite x Thanos's Infinity Gauntlet) - coming soon
-------------------------------
"Romans, they go the house?!"