RH Mk2. Finished, video and some more pics added

Want to show off your own project? Want to keep a build log of it? Post it here!
The F00

Re: RH Mk2. PCB laser etching in progress

Post by The F00 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:00 pm

Cheers, me too! Feels like this is taking forever

The F00

Re: RH Mk2. Hardware all finished. On to case design :-)

Post by The F00 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:52 pm

It's been a tough week for this project. I almost gave up on it after damaging two lcd driver boards but I stuck with it and have now gotten most of the debugging done and only need to make a case. Which is the best bit :-)

Some pics

Getting the method sorted for the laser etching process took quite a bit of work. Deciding factor in the end was switching from gloss to matt paint. Shame, the gloss looked cool

once I got the meathod down I could etch pcb is under 15min including the acid bath. Most of the week untlill I fugured out the paint issue, I was thinking I'd waisted a lot of cash on the laser cutter

All done, including, brightness controle, auto shutdown on low battery, two colour led for battery monitoring and audio.

the rear is still looking quite untidy. I think I will be experimenting wioth double sided pcb's in future

Orochi Kusanagi

Re: RH Mk2. Hardware all finished. On to case design :-)

Post by Orochi Kusanagi » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:02 pm

Congrats on all the work lately! It's coming along so nicely.

The F00

Re: RH Mk2. Finished

Post by The F00 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:09 am

Heres a quick image of the final thing. I'll update with a proper detailed post when I have time

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:24 am

The F00 wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:09 am
Heres a quick image of the final thing. I'll update with a proper detailed post when I have time

really nice....
it looks very cool.... :mrgreen:

looking forward to the detailed post....

Orochi Kusanagi

Post by Orochi Kusanagi » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:08 pm

WOW! That is beautiful! It definitely has a retro electronics feel! I love the wood look and screen.

The F00

Post by The F00 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:46 pm

Cheers lads. :-)

The F00

Post by The F00 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:06 pm

Ok, here's some more photos and video of the finished thing. I had numerous headaches with the case design but I have ended up with something I'm happy with. The laser cutting was especially fun!

I've been playing this for a week or so now and everything seems to be working well. Battery life seems to be around three hours with the screen brightness lowered. I've allowed it to run right down and the shutdown works as it should.

Bugs I have left. I'm getting some audio interference some times. Might be related to the screen brightness control, but I'm not too sure. On the software side, I'm struggling to get the screen overscan correct. It's perfect in some emulators and off in others. I think there must be per core xy adjustments but I've but figured that out yet.

I'm already planning the next version of the PCB. I think I'd like to build my own amp next time, to hopefully tidy up the noise. I'd also like to get the picaxe interfacing on i2c so the pi can handle the shutdown (this version, the picaxe basically pressed the shutdown button when the battery is low) also it'd be nice if the screen dimmed when the battery is low too.

All in all I'm happy with the result and eager to get going on another one. I've had a surprising amount of people contact me to try to buy a board so I'll be making some extras once I've got time.

I'm going to be moving house in a week or two so doubt I'll be able to do anything till the new workshops are set up (new place has to workshop spaces!).

AdamPremium

Re: RH Mk2. Finished, video and some more pics added

Post by AdamPremium » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:46 pm

I love the wood design!