sound card issues, Button issues

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
Boohyaw

sound card issues, Button issues

Post by Boohyaw » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:54 pm

I have a short between my data positive and my data negative wires. I am currently waiting on a new soldering tip to come in. I am wondering if it has any effect on some of my buttons not working. From what I can remember all of the buttons were working fine before I finished soldering everything. I tried to re do the connection but It is still showing short. my start button, A button, UP and Down buttons are not working(can't tell if b,x, or y are working). I've checked all the connections with my multi-meter and they are good. I checked the conductive pads and everyone works with the down button but will not do anything with the other buttons. The only other thing I can think of is, it was all working (minus power boost and audio wired up) when I had a different SD card in. I accidentally snapped it in half trying to pull it out. But I have tried another 8gb and 16gb both with the same class and neither will load with the mintypi splash screen so I am not sure if there is an issue there.

EDIT: So I went an took one of my worn out soldering tips and pushed it down the holes again. Turned the PI on and the buttons worked, reset the PI, didn't move or change anything other than resetting it. Now the buttons go back to only the left and right buttons working.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: sound card issues, Button issues

Post by Helder » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:26 pm

Might have a bad GND point, there is another one below the A button GPIO. It could also be weak solder joints since you don't have the proper tip.

Check to see if the button GPIO are touching GND by doing a continuity test.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Boohyaw

Post by Boohyaw » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:33 am

Helder wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:26 pm
Might have a bad GND point, there is another one below the A button GPIO. It could also be weak solder joints since you don't have the proper tip.

Check to see if the button GPIO are touching GND by doing a continuity test.
Ok I'll check and see what I come up with.

Boohyaw

Post by Boohyaw » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:50 pm

I am not showing continuity between the ground and the GPIO. None of the GPIO pins are grounded. I was also able to verify the left, right, down, and B buttons work. Up and A are the ones that don't seem to work. The continuity between the pads and GPIO pins are all at about 3 ohms. Is that still considered a weak connection?

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:20 pm

Are you using the resistor settings for continuity? You should be using diode mode.

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Boohyaw

Post by Boohyaw » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:17 pm

Helder wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:20 pm
Are you using the resistor settings for continuity? You should be using diode mode.
I'm not sure what either one of the those are. I am setting my multimeter to the ohms setting at 200. It's a pretty cheap one from wal-mart. So I got my new tip in today went thru and redone all the GPIO pins. Powered the mintypi on, every button that I could use with out starting a game worked. I turned it off closed the tin up and went to power it on and again the A button wouldn't work.So I was thinking maybe something in the tin was causing the problem. So I tore it back apart again powered it back on and still nothing on the A button. I then went in and pushed my soldering tip back down the GPIO pin for the A button, turned the mintypi back on and the A button is working again. So I'm not sure what is happening when I put it back together. I'm not smashing any wires that I can tell. No wires are touching. After leaving it on for a bit the capacitor? at c1 on the bottom of the board started smoking. I'm not sure what I could have possibly done to cause that.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:01 pm

Take some pictures of your board and the capacitor area.

Boohyaw

Post by Boohyaw » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:18 pm