v3 Display Not Working

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
BlueFrogSK

v3 Display Not Working

Post by BlueFrogSK » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:14 pm

Received my kit yesterday and started building last night following along with the build video. Unfortunately, the screen is not turning on when I boot the mintypi. I see the LED on the RPi flashing and I get sound from the speaker. But no white screen or logos as shown in the build video. I've checked continuity from the test pads on the back of the display to the pads on the RPi and they are good. I'm getting 3V and have a good ground on those test pads at the back of the display. I also checked for bridged pads on the RPi from soldering and didn't find any. Here's a picture of the solder connections.
IMG_6310.jpeg
IMG_6310.jpeg (2.76 MiB) Viewed 5058 times
Any troubleshooting tips on what to check next?

LilTrublMakr

Re: v3 Display Not Working

Post by LilTrublMakr » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:12 am

Unfortunately, the PCB fab messed up the screen production bad and a lot of the units are either not displaying or have a dark spot on the screen.

The good news: you can fix it! Helder has an instagram post that tells you how here:https://www.instagram.com/p/Bu4pEUrF3C5/

Basically, you need to seperate the screen from the board and reflow the pins on the ribbon cable with flux. If it doesn't work with a reflow, try adding some new solder. One of mine took a few tries to get it to work.

BlueFrogSK

Post by BlueFrogSK » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:53 pm

Thanks. I opened the screen and inspected each connection and reflowed them according to the video but still nothing. Any other suggestions?

Jace055

Post by Jace055 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:08 am

It took me a few tries to get the reflow right. I have done similar work before but this was a little more difficult for some reason. Use plenty of flux and add a touch of solder if needed.

I had a white screen then it went black. I noticed when I turned my shop and bench lights off the screen had a faint flicker and glow but looked dark under all the light. There was a connection on the GPIO that wasn’t quite good enough.

BlueFrogSK

Post by BlueFrogSK » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:55 pm

3rd time was the charm. Flowed them all again and it started working. I used plenty of flux and made sure to go slow to really get it to flow.

Wildbill014

Post by Wildbill014 » Sat May 04, 2019 8:37 am

Jace055 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:08 am
It took me a few tries to get the reflow right. I have done similar work before but this was a little more difficult for some reason. Use plenty of flux and add a touch of solder if needed.

I had a white screen then it went black. I noticed when I turned my shop and bench lights off the screen had a faint flicker and glow but looked dark under all the light. There was a connection on the GPIO that wasn’t quite good enough.
I’m having the same issue. Do you by chance remember which GPIO it was? Or did you just reflow them all until it worked?

LilTrublMakr

Post by LilTrublMakr » Sat May 04, 2019 1:12 pm

Best to reflow them all. Just take your time, use flux, and try adding a little bit of new solder every few pins.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Sat May 04, 2019 8:16 pm

If this is the recent orders in the last 2 weeks there is no fixes required, the fixes were for the orders from 2 months ago. If it's a recent order and you have a white LCD then it's your soldering plain and simple recheck everything related to the LCD which are the SCK,MOSI,D/C,CS,RESET GPIOs, be sure all 100% solid with good continuity.

Also helps to be using the correct image on the SD card.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Wildbill014

Post by Wildbill014 » Wed May 15, 2019 6:11 pm

Helder wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 8:16 pm
If this is the recent orders in the last 2 weeks there is no fixes required, the fixes were for the orders from 2 months ago. If it's a recent order and you have a white LCD then it's your soldering plain and simple recheck everything related to the LCD which are the SCK,MOSI,D/C,CS,RESET GPIOs, be sure all 100% solid with good continuity.

Also helps to be using the correct image on the SD card.
Thanks for the reply, I do have one of the more recent orders (got it at the first of may) and I did have some poor connections with two pins (SCK and BCLK) so I resoldered and checked continuity with all pins and are are great. But my problem remains. I redownloaded the MintyPi image that’s dated as 0501 and I’m stilll getting the white flickery screen.

Any suggestions?

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Thu May 16, 2019 12:35 am

White flickering screen? That sounds like power related, it should be a solid white screen. Have you checked if the Pi is outputting an image to a TV with the HDMI cable?

If it's flickering then I you have a bad GND or 5v joint, you checked the 5v points in the stickied thread in this forum?
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.