MintyPi V3 Won't Shutdown

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
PiTruck

MintyPi V3 Won't Shutdown

Post by PiTruck » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:10 am

I just got done building my MintyPi V3 (Yay! Super excited about it!) and it has a problem. It will not shutdown and remain shutdown when you close the lid or use the power off option in the menu. It will go through the shutdown process and then restart immediately with nothing being touched. It will shut down and stay turned off when the power button is held down as if you were doing a hard reset. I was very careful when building it and checked and double checked all solder joints and everything else I could, so I am very confused as to why it will not shutdown and stay off with the hall effect sensor or the menu shutdown option. Any thoughts or suggestions?

DieselDummy

Re: MintyPi V3 Won't Shutdown

Post by DieselDummy » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:53 am

Have you tried a fresh image flash yet?

PiTruck

Post by PiTruck » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:25 am

Yes, and updating the image using the update option in the menu. I let it charge all night and then updated it again this morning and it is still doing the same thing. I don't think I have anything shorted out, everything is covered with Kapton tape to prevent shorting and such, and there isn't anything shorted to the tin. Any other ideas that I might be missing? I can try reflashing the image again and try using something other than Etcher to do it, I have a couple of other imaging programs that I can try. But it seems that Etcher should work just as well, especially if everyone else has had good luck with it so far.

LilTrublMakr

Post by LilTrublMakr » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:35 am

The shutdown script uses GPIO 22 (pin 15) to shut down the system. It is labeled "HAL" on the test pads. I would try reflowing that pin.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:47 am

Also are you using the fixed powerboard?
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

PiTruck

Post by PiTruck » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:50 am

Yes, I tested all pins for continuity beforehand and made sure that they all had good continuity with their respective test pads and no continuity with surrounding pads. Every pad had 1.5 ohms between it and the test pad, which is the same resistance that I have with the test leads directly touching each other. There were no pads that had any continuity with a neighboring pad except the two 5V pads on the end (pins 2 and 4). I had previously reflowed a couple pins until they had perfect continuity. I did it this way because my multimeter doesn't have a beeping function and because poor connections have bit me in the past. Here's an additional question though: would the hall effect sensor and the "HAL" pad affect the shutdown script for the menu option shutdown also?

PiTruck

Post by PiTruck » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:51 am

Yes, I am using the fixed power board. Thank you for that by the way, your turnaround time is amazing!

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:04 am

If it does not turn off then the config.txt might be corrupt or have a change there affecting things for the GPIO 14 aka the TX GPIO. It's programmed in the config.txt to shut off when the pi has done a successful shutdown and then the mosfet kills power to everything. Wondering if the mintyPi update changed something there and are you sure battery is charged? and not using usb-c power while you are attempting this right?

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

PiTruck

Post by PiTruck » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:18 am

Correct, I charged it last night, but all shutdown attempts were on battery only. I found that out after reading about how it will stay turned on until the micro-usb power is removed. Which is pretty standard for Pi's in my experience, I've built a couple other RetroPi gaming consoles and a few media centers and they are all similar. I can pull the SD card and see what the config.txt says, I haven't tried digging into that yet.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:25 am

You can just ftp or ssh into the system so you don't have to remove the SD card.