V3 Build Issues with Screen and Sound

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
zetazot

V3 Build Issues with Screen and Sound

Post by zetazot » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:42 pm

You can see a video of my mintypi booting up here.

I have no sound coming out of the speaker or when I have earbuds plugged into the headphone jack. (No static over the earbuds either. Dead silence.) The screen comes up white and then gives me some lines that appear to be part of the boot up videos. The screen's orientation appears to be wrong, but the controls seem to work.

Anybody have any suggestions on where to trouble shoot? Thanks.

LilTrublMakr

Re: V3 Build Issues with Screen and Sound

Post by LilTrublMakr » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:08 pm

Can we see pictures of your soldering?
Have you tried reflashing the image? I know there will be a new image out sometime this week so you may want to wait for that.
Do you have all the fixes applied? (Aka sent it back to Helder or applied them yourself)(ex: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=7716)

zetazot

Post by zetazot » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:29 pm

I put some pictures up on g-drive. You can look at them here. If you need a better pictures, let me know.

A few of things...

1. I'm not really experienced at soldering so even if I think I did something right, I might have done it wrong. My experience is in taking apart PSPs and modding them. My first Mintypi was an ongoing disaster that in the end worked... it was a freaking miracle.
2. I tested for continuity on the back of the Pi and I think I'm good there, but I had to call a friend to help me figure out how to use the multimeter to test it. See 1.
3. The speaker had a black blob of plastic on it. I assume there was solder under it and connected a wire to it. I'm not sure if that was the right thing to do.

LilTrublMakr

Post by LilTrublMakr » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:44 pm

Use the outer 2 copper pads for the speaker. You should probably peel that black blob enough to get to the pad on the right in your picture.

I can't tell, did you bridge the pads labeled "SKIP" about a 1cm (10mm) above the headphone jack? If so, break that bridge.

Can we see pictures of the power board? (The other one with the USB-C port and shoulder buttons)

Did you remove the "R2" resistor on the back of the LCD board? And have you reflowed the ribbon cable like shown in Helder's Instagram post?

And I assume that you used the image below to test for continuity from the RPi to the corresponding test pad on the MintyPi PCB?

zetazot

Post by zetazot » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:01 pm

I forgot to mention, that I just got these boards yesterday. Helder said they were fixed.

>Use the outer 2 copper pads for the speaker.
Will do.

>I can't tell, did you bridge the pads labeled "SKIP" about a 1cm (10mm) above the headphone jack?
It is not. I didn't do anything with that, but there is some solder on the pads

>Can we see pictures of the power board? (The other one with the USB-C port and shoulder buttons)
Sure thing. Click here.

>Did you remove the "R2" resistor on the back of the LCD board?
I have not, there is no resistor there, but there is a tiny amount of solder on the pads.

>And have you reflowed the ribbon cable like shown in Helder's Instagram post?
I have not. I'd rather not do that unless I have to.

>And I assume that you used the image below to test for continuity from the RPi to the corresponding test pad on the MintyPi PCB?
Sort of. I paused Sudomod's youtube video. :)

KonnorJ

Post by KonnorJ » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:08 am

Make sure theres a good connection on the i2s pins and the headphone jack is soldered on properly

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:19 am

He has good working parts that are to be going out to all people so no fixes are needed. The issue is likely soldering and continuity, I suggest learn to use a multimeter properly and check all points in the image above.

The screen being oriented that way also tells me that you are using the wrong image for the mintyPi, nothing in the image will orient it that way so it's likely the wrong one.

The speaker might not work as I can see you took out the black epoxy covering where there is a thin wire there and it looks like it's loose. The speaker has 2 outer copper looking pads which are the ones you should have soldered to. So now the issue could be many things but might be all due to the wrong image burned on the SD card.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

zetazot

Post by zetazot » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:06 pm

Thanks for the replies... seriously I appreciate it. So first things first, I'm going to wait (as I should have in the first place) until the proper V3 image is released before I do anything else. I jumped the gun here and should have waited for the V3 image to be released.

I'm going to assume I wrecked the speaker with what I did to the black epoxy. If there was a wire in there, I f'ed up. It needs to be replaced. Is the speaker the same as used in the V2 build? I can order a new speaker off of ebay if it is.

I just solder the headphone jack to the pads on the board, so I'm not sure why that isn't working. Its probably due to me using the wrong image. I'm not going to worry about it for now.

My multimeter is cheap garbage. It doesn't even beep for continuity checks. Any recommendations on good affordable one?

Helder, I'm just glad I didn't solder on the pi backwards or break the screen like last time! :) So far. So good. Thanks for the help.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:24 pm

I use a cheapo $5 meter and it's worked fine for me so price isn't a deal breaker with that. The image has to be proper for audio and screen to work properly.

I did get one guy send me his board back because he couldn't get audio working, guess what it was 1 bad continuity point that the audio needs. Always check continuity and be sure it's 100% good or you can forget about things working properly.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

zetazot

Post by zetazot » Sun May 05, 2019 9:38 am

I got myself a beeping multimeter at walmart to make the continuity test a little more idiot proof... because I'm a newbie idiot in this. Exactly the type of person to drive Helder mad. :)

Using the image LilTrublMakr provided as a checklist, I did the test twice with the multimeter. It beeped when it should and was quiet when it was supposed to be. I won't lie, I'm surprised the test was successful with everything!

I guess its time to get the right image installed and test it out!