RIGHT + Y = restart system

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
Josslynes

RIGHT + Y = restart system

Post by Josslynes » Fri May 10, 2019 7:45 pm

Title says it all really, if I press right on the d pad and the y button at the same time, it restarts the whole system like powering it on from off. I had tested continuity on all the pins and adjacent pins, everything either buzzed or didn't the way it was supposed to.
I'm not sure if this is a software issue or a hardware problem, because wouldn't a short just shutdown the whole thing?
Any help would be greatly appreciated, it's working flawlessly aside from this issue.

LilTrublMakr

Re: RIGHT + Y = restart system

Post by LilTrublMakr » Fri May 10, 2019 8:05 pm

The only 2 pins that should have continuity are the 2 5v pins in the upper right.
If there is any continuity anywhere else, that isn't good.

Does it do a hard shutdown or does it go through a safe shutdown process?

Can we get clear pictures of your soldering?

Josslynes

Post by Josslynes » Sat May 11, 2019 9:22 am

I'll try to get a picture after work tonight, as for continuity, I was meaning between the test pads above the gpio pins to the corresponding pin. None of the soldered points have continuity to each other, (basically it clears continuity testing the way the build video says it should)

Did a bit more testing last night and it's actually any d pad direction plus y, but only if the d pad and y are pressed down simultaneously. If I'm already holding a direction on the d pad and tap y, it doesn't trigger.

And it's a hard non safe restart

Josslynes

Post by Josslynes » Sat May 11, 2019 8:53 pm

Here are the images of soldering, all the pins have correct continuity per the build video

LilTrublMakr

Post by LilTrublMakr » Sun May 12, 2019 5:03 am

Soldering looks good.

Is this doing it with the power board attached or just the controller board (plugged directly in to the Pi)?

Also, can we get a picture of the other side of the board?

Josslynes

Post by Josslynes » Sun May 12, 2019 12:31 pm

I just plugged it into the mains directly and it seems to be working 100 percent, games aren't crashing after a few minutes and the button combination isn't shorting it out, wondering if I might've screwed it to tightly into the case or something? Here's the photos of the other side

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Sun May 12, 2019 10:47 pm

I think it might be a weak solder joint or solder leg touching another adjacent GPIO. If you hold the right direction and press the face plate where the Y is does it do the same thing? I'm thinking putting pressure on one or both sides of the board is breaking the connection to the 3.3v GPIO or is breaking GND temporarily (use more than one GND to be safe).
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Josslynes

Post by Josslynes » Mon May 13, 2019 5:55 am

That was the kind of weird thing, when it was in the case and having the issue, holding a direction and then pressing y wouldn't trigger it. Just pressing down on both from an unpressed state at the same time would. I did find it wasn't just right but any d pad direction + y, but taking it out of the case, the issue isnt present

LilTrublMakr

Post by LilTrublMakr » Mon May 13, 2019 9:32 am

What Helder is getting at and what I was starting to suspect is that when you screw the boards in to the case, it will make the boards bow a little bit. When you pressed down on the buttons, it bent the boards enough that something was being broken or grounded. I would suggest reflowing all of your connections because one of them is likely loose and will get worse over time.

Josslynes

Post by Josslynes » Mon May 13, 2019 10:43 pm

well i think i almost have it done.
resoldered all the pins, wiped the back of the board clean with aclohol, covered in kapton tape and every step of the way putting it back together, would plug it into the mains and check and it was working, got it fully assembled plugged in working perfectly.

but now not powering on with the battery, which means i screwed up that cable....but that part is easy to fix, just not looking forward to disassembling this again.
Thanks for the help everyone :D