3M Tape Alternative?

General mintyPi-related chat goes here. Share ideas, ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums, etc.
The Cheese Biscuit

3M Tape Alternative?

Post by The Cheese Biscuit » Sat May 11, 2019 8:29 pm

I don't have any of this tape handy, but I do have several different velcro strips and hot glue (and regular crazy glue).

Are any of these decent alternatives to the VHB tape used in the build (or is anything else)?
"I'm not actually a biscuit."

LilTrublMakr

Re: 3M Tape Alternative?

Post by LilTrublMakr » Sun May 12, 2019 5:09 am

I feel velcro would be too thick. Hot glue should work because we all know that wermy would take that route in a heartbeat :D

dryja123

Post by dryja123 » Fri May 24, 2019 1:31 pm

LilTrublMakr wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 5:09 am
I feel velcro would be too thick. Hot glue should work because we all know that wermy would take that route in a heartbeat :D
Careful with the hot glue. The screen back is very thin in spots and it wouldn't take much for hot glue to melt / warp it. If you need an alternative pick up Scotch double sided tape but know that you may have to reapply it every so often. It works but doesn't hold as tight as VHB.

kazriko

Post by kazriko » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:55 pm

I found some Extreme Mounting Tape at my local office max for this. I looked the specs up and it's nearly identical to the VHB tape. (Was trying to get parts locally whenever I could.)

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:38 am

Best 3m tape to get is the VHB 4914, it's 0.25mm thick which is super thin. Ebay has them in various widths and one roll is enough to do tens of MintyPi builds.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

swordfish6975

Post by swordfish6975 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:47 am

I got some double sided tape from daiso it was AUD 2.80. Also where I got a set of 3 diamond files for the same price (think everything is 2.80 at daiso) that were instrumental in creating the holes in the tin.

I managed to use no hot glue and just use this tape, just another option for people.

EDIT: now that im back home, the tape is not a particular brand (or if it is its in Japanese), I live in Australia and these shops are everywhere now so perhaps other countries are the same. I will now describe it to the best of my ability.

Its almost a full circle with one flat side most of the front of the box is green with a white stripe along the flat side.

The front:
DOUBLE-SIDED TAPE
Strong Hold Removable Double-Sided Tape -With Cutter 15mm x 7m

The back:
15m
-------
7m
reduced VOCs
This tape has greatly reduced levels of VOCs
which are implicated in stick building syndrome

whatever_guy

Post by whatever_guy » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:04 pm

swordfish6975 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:47 am
I got some double sided tape from daiso it was AUD 2.80. Also where I got a set of 3 diamond files for the same price (think everything is 2.80 at daiso) that were instrumental in creating the holes in the tin.

I managed to use no hot glue and just use this tape, just another option for people.

EDIT: now that im back home, the tape is not a particular brand (or if it is its in Japanese), I live in Australia and these shops are everywhere now so perhaps other countries are the same. I will now describe it to the best of my ability.

Its almost a full circle with one flat side most of the front of the box is green with a white stripe along the flat side.

The front:
DOUBLE-SIDED TAPE
Strong Hold Removable Double-Sided Tape -With Cutter 15mm x 7m

The back:
15m
-------
7m
reduced VOCs
This tape has greatly reduced levels of VOCs
which are implicated in stick building syndrome
I used double sided tape from Daiso as well, has been holding up ok so far :)