V3 Function Key + on-screen menu

General mintyPi-related chat goes here. Share ideas, ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums, etc.
Caver01

V3 Function Key + on-screen menu

Post by Caver01 » Fri May 31, 2019 3:04 pm

Having completed my V3 MintyPi, I am really loving the on-screen function menu (the one with volume, WiFi, battery indicators etc.). However, I would like to know more about it. In one of the videos Wermy mentions this functionality was ported from a Gameboy FE project "Bloop's script"??? I am happing digging in with my own research, but since I am not familiar with this user or the FE project, where do I get started?

I am curious about the tiny icons:
battery indicator
Wifi indicator

I have also seen what looks like a tiny white dot with "j" inside superimposed on my screen at the top. What is that?

Then there is the function key functions. Are there more than meets the eye undocumented? Can we augment this functionality? For example, I added scripts to my RetroPie menu to enable+start and disable+stop samba sharing. That might be nice to do via function key. Or, here is a GREAT one: setup a function key combo to issue the "esc" key. This would be super useful (graceful exit) for non-libretro emus which are often faster than their retroarch counterparts--so important on slower hardware like the zero.

Anyway, I did some searching and did not find much detail, so I thought I would stimulate some discussion.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: V3 Function Key + on-screen menu

Post by Helder » Fri May 31, 2019 8:44 pm

Search Github for OneForAll all the info is there and the J is indication of analog joystick which is not used in this version since the mintyPi doesn't have an analog stick.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Caver01

Post by Caver01 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:27 am

Ahh, joystick. I see I can invoke that with function+right. Might be something I can repurpose.

dryja123

Post by dryja123 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:11 am

If you want to get rid of it connect your mintyPi to WiFi and select update mintyPi in the retropie menu. I brought this to Bluups attention and he fixed it.

Caver01

Post by Caver01 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:05 pm

I will update, but I may check settings first. What I really want to do is add a function to send “ESC” so I can exit some of the faster emulators that are independent of retroarch.

I checked the git repo and I have to say I am impressed with the hardware/software marvel we have in our hands. Well done!

Caver01

Post by Caver01 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:24 am

Well, I did a bit of digging around in the git repo and my own config files. It seems to be a little too daunting for me to add function key mapping on my own. Does anyone know if Bluup might be open to suggestions about this? It seems like there are many opportunities for leveraging the function button in combination with other buttons. I know several are taken, but having a config file for hotkeys like this makes a lot of sense. I mean, we have this great input capability but it only gets leveraged for save states, volume and networking. I would love to see a way to map Function+button where “button” can include the unused buttons. For example:

1. Function+START= “ESC”
2. Function+SELECT= “TAB”
3. Function+L and R =adjust display brightness if there are driver commands to do so
4. Function to enable/disable SMB (once installed)

Does anyone have other ideas?

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:15 am

I passed the message along to Bluup but you can also register an issue on the github so he can get it directly and respond there.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Bluup

Post by Bluup » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:29 am

If you could post this as an issue that'd be awesome. I have had some ideas regarding this but it requires a few major modifications, which I'm happy to do, but will need some testing afterwards. I'm trying to strike a balance between ease of use and advanced features like adding extra hotkey combos. It can definitely be done, just the best way of doing it.

Caver01

Post by Caver01 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:20 pm

Posted this as an issue on git. I made a few suggestions for iterations going for function over form. Happy to test updates.

Caver01

Post by Caver01 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:15 am

It has been a while since I tried getting into this, but is there a recommended process for updating the allforone software on a V3 mintypi? I think last time I checked the answer was no, not for MintyPi. But with the Lite version now, maybe an update works on the V3?
I’d like to try setting up a combo hotkey for ESCAPE to exit out of some non-libretro native emulators. I think newer versions of allforone can do this with a keysKeyboard.cfg, but I dont want to break the working gpio mapping on a V3 mintypi, i just want to add additional combo keys. So i guess i am looking for an update procedure that works, if anyone has tried it, plus a .cfg that aligns with exiting V3 functions (controls, OSD, Volume etc.) so i can tinker from there.