Minty Pi with a 3 A+

General mintyPi-related chat goes here. Share ideas, ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums, etc.
Rakanel

Minty Pi with a 3 A+

Post by Rakanel » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:08 pm

Hey Sudomod Forums!

I was wondering if it is pretty feasible to put a 3 A+ in a minty pi for the additional power it can use.

Thanks,

Rak

LilTrublMakr

Re: Minty Pi with a 3 A+

Post by LilTrublMakr » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:15 pm

If you mean in a regular sized tin: No. The footprint of the tin is larger than the tin itself.

Rakanel

Post by Rakanel » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:25 pm

LilTrublMakr wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:15 pm
If you mean in a regular sized tin: No. The footprint of the tin is larger than the tin itself.
I am a little confused. The 3 A+ is roughly the same size as the Zero, just a bit taller?

LilTrublMakr

Post by LilTrublMakr » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:03 pm

3A+: 56x65mm
Zero W: 65x30mm

The 3a+ has a significantly larger footprint (basically double) and is ~5 mm too wide to fit in an ordinary Altoids tin. Even if it could, the controller board would have to completely redone to accommodate moving the GPIO pins.

Rakanel

Post by Rakanel » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:25 am

Thanks for the reply. I was confused about the tin being too big for the tin statement. Thank you for the clarification!

dryja123

Post by dryja123 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:53 am

You’d have to look at the parts that would fit in the tin and then look at the A+. Try to imagine how’d you get everything in the tin and close it. Using the wrong double sided tape can make an impact to the point where the tin wouldn’t close properly. Unfortunately there’s just not that much room inside of an Altoids tin.

TexasPorcupine

Post by TexasPorcupine » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:29 am

I have sat my 3A+ inside an altoids tin and it does kinda fit... but it takes up more than double the space that the zero does. You'd have to depopulate the board, use a different or custom PCB, and still likely have to sacrifice battery size and audio. Not to mention that the 3A+ draws considerably more power than a zero, so your battery life would suffer further. Maybe Helder/Wermy will do a CM3+ version soon.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:26 am

TexasPorcupine wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:29 am
I have sat my 3A+ inside an altoids tin and it does kinda fit... but it takes up more than double the space that the zero does. You'd have to depopulate the board, use a different or custom PCB, and still likely have to sacrifice battery size and audio. Not to mention that the 3A+ draws considerably more power than a zero, so your battery life would suffer further. Maybe Helder/Wermy will do a CM3+ version soon.
Cm3 uses a sodimm socket which add some height to it plus it draws about the same as the 3A+ so similar situation. A radical redesign and A lot of not so noob friendly work like removing ports would need to be done to fit properly and not sure about battery since there won't be much space left and the 3A does produce more heat than a zero.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.