Did I kill my pi 0?

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
eggbowl

Did I kill my pi 0?

Post by eggbowl » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:28 pm

Hi all, I'm working on a GBZ build. I hooked up my screen to the pi 0, installed retropie onto my SD card, popped it in, and all was good, the activity LED and display came on. Until I tried soldering the controls. Using this guide viewtopic.php?f=22&t=57 I soldered to the GPIO pins. (Idk if this is relevant, but i'm using a PRS common ground board) Then i plug in my power and..... nothing. No status LED, no video on the screen. I popped the SD card into another pi 0, and the activity LED started flashing, so I know that's not the problem. Have I somehow killed my pi? I followed the adafruit guide to no avail.
Here's a pic of my soldering (I know not the best my equipment isn't very good and I'm a noob. no the red and black wires on the usb power test pads aren't shorted.)

VeteranGamer

Re: Did I kill my pi 0?

Post by VeteranGamer » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:30 am

eggbowl wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:28 pm
Then i plug in my power and..... nothing. No status LED, no video on the screen.
your soldering doesnt look the best.....

the RPi are so easy to kill.....
i've killed one with just having some sweat on my hands when handling it :oops: ......

but the best way you can check is to desolder everything off and clean up the RPi and then test it.....
(again your soldering is not the best, this is why you need to start a fresh)

or if you dont want to do that.....
just buy another RPi, they are only about $10

eggbowl wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:28 pm
(I know not the best my equipment isn't very good and I'm a noob.)

we're all NOOB here....
and i'd be the first to profess to that.....

but theres just no excuse to blame the equipment you have.....
especially as all that's required is to apply a little solder to something (there's NO real technical stuff here)

I have always used one of these....
(this has been used on ALL my builds/projects)

you can pick these up on aliexpress as little as $5 there the cheapest ones you can get.....
(now i'm NOT saying go out and buy one of these, its just to prove a point)

and prior to me making my first GBZ, I had a very little soldering experience....

practice makes perfect....
if your unsure about soldering....

then Helder has kindly provided a board that can be used to get the basics up to par....

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=4530

or

if you dont want to splash out on Helder practice PCB, you can always get one of these.....

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3290485 ... 06c2d18e23

you don't need fancy or expensive equipment to do soldering....
because if you cant even do the basics right, it doesn't matter how brilliant you think the soldering iron you have is your still gonna end up with the same results....

practice makes perfect....

stadekxiel

Post by stadekxiel » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:04 am

It's hard to tell from the angle of your image, but it looks like you may have bridged the 5v and ground into the pi, and possibly on the other board too.

Edit: nvm, I just realized you said they're not shorted.

eggbowl

Post by eggbowl » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:22 pm

update for anyone who's curious, i desoldered everything like veteran said and then the status led came back on. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Guess I'll just have to be more careful next time.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:55 pm

If you have any power wire touching a GND the pi will short out and you get the results you had. Always be aware of the power and GND points and make sure nothing touches them.

Getting some better wire might help too since it seems a little thick, I recommend 28AWG the silicone type.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

waffe

Post by waffe » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:34 am

Get a multimeter and put it on continuity check. Then probe ground and 5V, if it beeps then they are connected. Make this a habit when soldering, especially when dealing with batteries.