First GBZ Build

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
FirstTimeGBZ

First GBZ Build

Post by FirstTimeGBZ » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:45 am

Hi All,

Great forum! I've just started buying all the bits and pieces to build my first GBZ. I've plenty to learn before I start building so hoping you experts can help me out a little along the way!

Here is a list of parts I have purchased to date.
  • tinkerBOY Controller V3.0
    tinkerBOY DPI Adapter
    tinkerBOY Add-On Board - with Pre-soldered USB Type A Port and 3-Pin Volume Wheel,
    Back Buttons - tinkerBOY Add-On Board v1.0b
    Game Boy Cartridge with RetroPie Label Sticker and Serial Number Sticker
    SPDT Slide Switch 1P2T for Game Boy Zero
    tinkerBOY Speaker 4O2W
    Adafruit Powerboost 1000c
    Gearbest Screen
    Blutec 4AA size 5000+mAh lipo battery
    ZedLabz GBZ buttons
I've just realised that I accidentally bought a game-boy pocket shell, so I'll have to change it to the full size one.

I'd like to add safe shutdown, is @Camble safe shutdown module compatible with all the stuff I have purchased above? The switch I bought already won't be needed if safe shutdown is compatible.

I'd also like a "Kill" switch somewhere incase retropie crashes.

Can you see anything I am missing from my list above?

Thanks!

infinitLoop

Re: First GBZ Build

Post by infinitLoop » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:49 pm

FirstTimeGBZ wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:45 am
I'd like to add safe shutdown, is @Camble safe shutdown module compatible with all the stuff I have purchased above?
yes. the model he's currently selling is designed for the PowerBoost 1000c: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2260

getting his software to work in retropie 4.4 can be a bit tricky though. check this thread, if you end up using it: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=6611&p=74831&hilit ... 4.4#p68878

(for my money though, the pocketadventures power assist is a better option: http://www.pocketadventures.com/product_pab10.asp - easier to configure safe shutdown, includes the power boost / recharge, and is a screaming deal)

FirstTimeGBZ

Post by FirstTimeGBZ » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:35 am

Thanks, the pocketadventures power assit is a great price!

Is there anything else I am missing from my build?

infinitLoop

Post by infinitLoop » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:26 am

FirstTimeGBZ wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:35 am
Thanks, the pocketadventures power assit is a great price!

Is there anything else I am missing from my build?
not that i can see, but you do have a dpi screen adapter, but you say you are getting a gearbest screen. the gearbest (at least the one people refer to here, as the "gearbest" one) is a composite screen, so you wouldn't need the dpi adapter. if you want the sharper image of the dpi screen, you need to buy a screen that its compatible with using that model number on tinkerboy's site.

composite/gearbest is a lot easier to hook up (essentially one wire), but dpi would look sharper and better overall, and requires you to solder up the whole gpoi to it.

FirstTimeGBZ

Post by FirstTimeGBZ » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:06 am

while waiting on my tinkerboy items to arrive I decided to do a pocket adventures one also.

Any wiring guides out there for the pieces below?
IMG_0252.jpeg
IMG_0252.jpeg (600.25 KiB) Viewed 4395 times

infinitLoop

Post by infinitLoop » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:38 am

FirstTimeGBZ wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:06 am
while waiting on my tinkerboy items to arrive I decided to do a pocket adventures one also.

Any wiring guides out there for the pieces below?

IMG_0252.jpeg
when connecting the pi, just make sure to solder all the circled connections on gpio (at least) as well as the other pads/holes for power, video, and usb

pretty much everything is labelled on the boards themselves (the connections also line up when you have them situated in a case). just line up and connect "X" to "X" and "A" to "A", etc.

here's a snapshot of a completed "ultra" build:

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=6394&start=30#p72389

FirstTimeGBZ

Post by FirstTimeGBZ » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:37 am

Excellent! Thanks. I tried searching but couldn’t find anything as specific as that!

FirstTimeGBZ

Post by FirstTimeGBZ » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:20 pm

I haven't mangaged to get the screen to work on the pocket adventures build. Even after following this tutorial: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2312

Any ideas?
Attachments
IMG_0342.jpeg
IMG_0342.jpeg (539.67 KiB) Viewed 4187 times
IMG_0341.jpeg
IMG_0341.jpeg (682.33 KiB) Viewed 4187 times

infinitLoop

Post by infinitLoop » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:14 pm

FirstTimeGBZ wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:20 pm
I haven't mangaged to get the screen to work on the pocket adventures build. Even after following this tutorial: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2312

Any ideas?
the screen can be tricky. it's probably the flat screen cable not making good connection in the on-board connector. if you can, first check the continuity between the pi and the screen board. then, put a couple layers of tape on the back side, like here: http://www.pocketadventures.com/guide_wiring_spi10.asp it might take a couple tries to get it right. cleaning the cable with some alcohol might help too.

i actually didn't have luck getting the screens to work with the tape trick, so i just clipped that off and soldered the screen directly to the board, but with space limitation, doing that can be difficult. i have gotten the tape trick to work a couple times since those first times, tho. you just need to get it in the right position on there, and make sure the cable isn't bent or anything.