Static in the audio, Minty Pi V3

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
kazriko

Static in the audio, Minty Pi V3

Post by kazriko » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:41 pm

I recently put the Minty Pi v3 together. In testing, I didn't have an issue with the audio, all seemed to be fine. Now that it's fully assembled there's some scratchy static on both the speaker and the headphone jack. The wires didn't seem to be pinched when I assembled it, but it's always possible something slipped under the wrong spot. they are a tiny bit longer than they need to be. The static gets worse if I press around where the speaker is. Perhaps I need to insulate the speaker from the PCB more or use different wires?

Just making sure it's not something I need to rework the board solder for, I don't want to disassemble this thing twice since it's a nightmare getting it out of the bottom shell of the tin.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: Static in the audio, Minty Pi V3

Post by Helder » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:51 am

Likely got pinched as you said and is picking up interference from something.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

kazriko

Post by kazriko » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:07 pm

I've resoldered the speaker with shorter wires, shaped to go around the speaker and only exactly long enough so they can't get pinched, and the problem is still happening. The static is actually a consistent volume even when I turn the unit down. It sounds like distorted echos of the game audio, and occur more when I'm pushing down on the faceplate (like when I push the buttons or d-pad.) It is also happening on the headphone jack across multiple sets of headphones and speakers. Should I reflow the solder to the audio pins perhaps? I tested the continuity of them all back when I first soldered them, and everything seemed to have good continuity then.

kazriko

Post by kazriko » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:53 pm

Got it. After peeling off the kepton tape, the DIN pin was making intermittent contact. Reflowed that, and the staticky distortions are gone.