Battery issues, not sure where to check

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
Mouseater

Battery issues, not sure where to check

Post by Mouseater » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:00 pm

I got my mintypi all put together and now it won't power from the battery.

If I plug power directly into the raspberry pi, it boots up and I can play just fine so I feel confident that the Helder PCB and the PI are put together correctly and soldered well. Even despite that I double checked each solder point as demo'd in the Wermy vid.

When I attempt to start up the mintyPi just on battery, pressing the power button does nothing. So I plugged in the USB c, got a green light and attempted to power on from there. The charging light, or whatever it is, next to the usb-c connector will then turn red and the screen will flash on and off after pressing the power button. This happens for about 5-10 seconds then the screen will then go dark, and the light goes back to green.

I thought this was due to the battery being low, so I let it charge for 30 min and I am still seeing the same behavior.

I checked all the springy battery connections to make sure they have no crud and are equally springy and that the battery is contacting those points correctly when placed in the tin. I haven't checked anything on the battery board part because I don't know what I would check there.
Is this the first place to check?

Some power seems to be making it to the PCB board from the USB-c cable at least since the screen flashes. I am guessing that maybe it's the power cable the connects the battery charger to the main PCB, but I had no issues inserting the cable at all. Slipped in with ease on both ends. How would I go about checking this cable, or is it pointless?

Mouseater

Re: Battery issues, not sure where to check

Post by Mouseater » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:24 pm

I just checked the cable with the continuity tester while it was attached to the main PCB, and every pin has connection through it so the cable seems to be fine. So that just leaves the battery and the battery charger, are there any pictures I can refer to for troubleshooting the board and how can I tell if the battery is good?

linuxgb

Post by linuxgb » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:39 pm

check pi 5V point connect pcb board and TX point
thx

Mouseater

Post by Mouseater » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:43 pm

I got it figured out, one of the batteries I got in the pre-order looks to be bad. Swapped it out for my other battery and everything works fine now.

linuxgb

Post by linuxgb » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:29 am

Bad pre-order batteries cause this problem,thx

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:54 am

It can happen, I've had only 1 bad battery out of 500 and this will be the first out of 1000. A replacement will be issued after I check it out.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.