[FOR SALE] Safe Shutdown v1.2 (for PowerBoost)

Sell or trade things with other forum members!
ahileas

Re: [FOR SALE] Safe Shutdown v1.2 (for PowerBoost)

Post by ahileas » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:24 pm

Still waiting for my order to arrive, placed June 15th. Excited to finish my build!

Camble

Post by Camble » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:30 am

ahileas wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:24 pm
Still waiting for my order to arrive, placed June 15th. Excited to finish my build!
Your order should definitely have arrived by now. Please E-mail me.

asdfrewq

Post by asdfrewq » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:51 pm

Hey Camble, I purchased one of these a while back and only just got around to adding it to my build. I've paired it with Helders Retro PSU, which uses EN pin the same as PowerBoost 1000/c. Everything is wired up as directed in the diagram from the first post, with the exception of the LBO, which doesn't exist on the Retro PSU. Which is fine, as I'm only interested in the safe shutdown being triggered when the power switch is turned off.

Everything seems to work fine; I turned off the battery monitoring, the script installed ok, the cronjob has been added, and the dtparam line was added to config.txt. Sliding the switch works as expected, the script picks up the signal on the gpio, and the pi will initiate (and complete) a shutdown. However, when the shutdown is complete, the safe shutdown circuit isn't grounding the EN pin, so the Pi doesn't turn off.

I suspect this is caused by either:
a. The pi isn't sending the signal to the GPIO pin. Although I believe it is, and the logs indicate that the dtparam is correct and loaded successfully, I don't have the tools to test the signal coming from the pin.
b. The Safe Shutdown circuit isn't detecting the signal from the Pi, or it's failing to ground the EN pin. Possibly damaged or faulty?
c. The circuit absolutely requires the LBO be connected to something for the power off functionality.

I've tested manually grounding the pin on the PSU with a screwdriver, and it does cause the PSU to power down, so I'm confident the PSU is not the problem.

Any Ideas?

Camble

Post by Camble » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:45 am

@asdfrewq Are you able to test with a regular PowerBoost supply?

asdfrewq

Post by asdfrewq » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:48 am

@Camble No, unfortunately. I've got a powerboost in my GBZ build, but it's pretty well glued in and inaccessible.

FWIW, I tested manually switching the keepalive pin and still nothing. I also noticed the pi will power on when I connect the battery, regardless of the switch position. Is that normal?

asdfrewq

Post by asdfrewq » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:47 am

So I picked up a multimetre to test over the weekend. I've made some observations:

The gpio pins are working perfectly:
When the Pi and safe shutdown are both on. Both on and off pins read ~3.3v.
Switching off the Safe Shutdown cuts the output for the "On" pin. The script detects this and initiates a shutdown. After the shutdown is complete the output on the "Off" is cut.

The following happens when the safe shutdown is off AND there is no voltage to "Off" pin (ie: from the keepalive gpio pin):
- Reading from the LBO pin goes from 0v to ~2.7v
- Reading on the EN pin goes from 2.8v to 1.4v

To be honest, I have no idea what this means. I guess it indicates that it's almost working; there's some activity from the Safe Shutdown board when the keepalive pin is activated. The reading on the LBO pin when all the conditions for cutting the power have been met would indicate that it's somehow required to complete the ground to EN?

Sorry to ask so many questions, my background is entirely in software dev, so my experience with hardware is limited to throwing things in a box and connecting wires :)

Norantio

Post by Norantio » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:14 pm

Hello!

How fast do you ship? Ordered on August 26th, I might just be impatient haha.

Camble

Post by Camble » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:52 pm

@asdfrewq Do you have "AdafruitPowerBoost=True" set in the script or did you change this to False? This should probably be True even though you're using Helder's PSU. If set to false, it will invert how the keep alive pin works.

Sorry for the delay, I don't log on much these days. Best to catch me on Discord or send me an E-mail.
Last edited by Camble on Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Camble

Post by Camble » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:55 pm

@Norantio I replied to your PM.

Mimi3

Post by Mimi3 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:12 pm

Hello.
You haven't logged in for a long time, are you still selling?
I'm glad if I sent two by EMS if I can confirm with paypal because I ordered two.