Joystick Issues

Jaycristo

Joystick Issues

Post by Jaycristo » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:20 pm

I am having issues with my two PSP joysticks in my Circuit Sword Build. When configuring, they show as configured but Joystick 2 will move automatically when configuring inputs, automatically selecting it as a button and Joystick 1 can not be configured at all when configuring inputs.

Here is my wiring:
SpoilerShow
Image ImageImage
Here is the output from cs-configure:
SpoilerShow
At this point I have changed out the joysticks with others I had and have re-soldered a few times. I also reprogrammed the Arduino controller. Any thing I'm missing?

banjokazooie

Re: Joystick Issues

Post by banjokazooie » Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:44 pm

Jaycristo wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:20 pm
I am having issues with my two PSP joysticks in my Circuit Sword Build. When configuring, they show as configured but Joystick 2 will move automatically when configuring inputs, automatically selecting it as a button and Joystick 1 can not be configured at all when configuring inputs.

Here is my wiring:
SpoilerShow
Image ImageImage
Here is the output from cs-configure:
SpoilerShow
At this point I have changed out the joysticks with others I had and have re-soldered a few times. I also reprogrammed the Arduino controller. Any thing I'm missing?
I have had similar issue where joy 2 move by itself even if not connected, reflash did not help. Kite was not able to help me, only solution was to disable the second joy and live without it. Seems to be a hardware issue.

Jaycristo

Post by Jaycristo » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:13 pm

banjokazooie wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:44 pm

I have had similar issue where joy 2 move by itself even if not connected, reflash did not help. Kite was not able to help me, only solution was to disable the second joy and live without it. Seems to be a hardware issue.
I hope it can be worked out. I read your post and I had a similar experience with some negative values too when I kept refreshing.

kite

Post by kite » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:24 am

Does the same happen if you plug joy1 into joy2, and joy2 into joy1?
Stock clearance - CLOSED: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=12064
Kite's Mailing List: https://goo.gl/forms/e97uUvPOfUxPWdz82
Kite's FAQ: https://kiteretro.com/faq/

ImageImageImageImageImage

skankhunt42

Post by skankhunt42 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:38 am

I had a similar problem, twice. First time the pins were partially shorting on the joystick. So check that with a multimeter. And the second time it was a broken joystick. Also friend of mine had a problem with the back of the psp joystick shorting pins on the board so kapton tape!
Get back in the kitchen and make me some Pi!

Jaycristo

Post by Jaycristo » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:26 pm

kite wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:24 am
Does the same happen if you plug joy1 into joy2, and joy2 into joy1?
If I put joy2 into joy1, I still can't configure joy1 to the right stick. It shows as enabled. I tried to test with a multimeter but I never used it before so I am not sure I did it right. I tested by putting the needles on each side of the solder on the pad and it beeps.

I did move joy1 to joy2, and that one works fine and am able to configure in Emulation Station. I believe that any movement I was seeing previously was due to space in the case and the sticks not being able to move back to center.

Jaycristo

Post by Jaycristo » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:29 pm

skankhunt42 wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:38 am
I had a similar problem, twice. First time the pins were partially shorting on the joystick. So check that with a multimeter. And the second time it was a broken joystick. Also friend of mine had a problem with the back of the psp joystick shorting pins on the board so kapton tape!
I tried testing with a multimeter, not sure if I know what I'm doing as it was my first go at it. When I put needles on each side of the pad, it beeps. I had used kapton tape on the joysticks and on some of the pins by the headphone jack.

skankhunt42

Post by skankhunt42 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:39 pm

Jaycristo wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:29 pm
skankhunt42 wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:38 am
I tried testing with a multimeter, not sure if I know what I'm doing as it was my first go at it. When I put needles on each side of the pad, it beeps. I had used kapton tape on the joysticks and on some of the pins by the headphone jack.
Put the needles on each pair of pads in turn. If you have it in continuity mode (usually signified by the diode symbol) and it beeps they are connected and there is a short circuit. Probably where you have soldered the pads as they are very close together. So clean excess solder off the pads in question and re-solder the wire and retest with the multimeter. But test each combination in turn first to find which, if any, are short circuiting.
Get back in the kitchen and make me some Pi!

Jaycristo

Post by Jaycristo » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:51 pm

skankhunt42 wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:39 pm

Put the needles on each pair of pads in turn. If you have it in continuity mode (usually signified by the diode symbol) and it beeps they are connected and there is a short circuit. Probably where you have soldered the pads as they are very close together. So clean excess solder off the pads in question and re-solder the wire and retest with the multimeter. But test each combination in turn first to find which, if any, are short circuiting.
I will definitely clean up some of the soldering but I think something else might be going on with my joy1. I moved the stick that used to be in joy1 to joy2 and it works fine in joy2 yet any joystick I put into joy1 while being recognized in cs-configure, can’t be recognized in Emulation Station when trying to configure inputs.

kite

Post by kite » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:46 am

Could I get an in focus and with a bright light picture of the board around the joy1 connector area? Ideally so that the picture contains the ATMEGA chip (big square one) and the joy1 connector (the big white connector)
Stock clearance - CLOSED: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=12064
Kite's Mailing List: https://goo.gl/forms/e97uUvPOfUxPWdz82
Kite's FAQ: https://kiteretro.com/faq/

ImageImageImageImageImage