Joystick Issues

Jaycristo

Re: Joystick Issues

Post by Jaycristo » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:56 am

kite wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:46 am
Could I get an in focus and with a bright light picture of the board around the joy1 connector area? Ideally so that the picture contains the ATMEGA chip (big square one) and the joy1 connector (the big white connector)

It is strange. When in cs-configure, you see it is enabled and if I move the joystick and refresh, the values change. It just will not configure in EmulationStation.

kite

Post by kite » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:32 am

The values have a min of 0 and max of 1023, when the stick is in the middle it should be around 400-600 or so, the joy2 seems alright, but the joy1 values you had before were a bit weird at pretty much both extremes!

With it ON, use your multimeter in voltage mode and put black probe on the black wire, and the red probe on the red wire. It should read "3.3v" (so ensure that it does and you can use this as the reference).

Leaving the black probe where it is on the black wire at all times, put the red probe onto the white or green wire.. in theory it should read about 1.6v or so, and if you move the joystick up/down or left/right you should see it change with one of those directions.. as in, if you move it up/down and the value on multimeter changes between 0.2v to 3.1v or something, then that is working ok. I have seen damaged joysticks range do different things, like changing from 0.4-0.6, with 0.5 being the middle..

Could you please try the above and as clearly as possible summarise what you are seeing? It might take a little bit of playing around to see what action causes which wire to change in voltage.

This is the way to test the physical joystick itself. Compare it against the other one and they should behave exactly the same
Stock clearance - CLOSED: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=12064
Kite's Mailing List: https://goo.gl/forms/e97uUvPOfUxPWdz82
Kite's FAQ: https://kiteretro.com/faq/

ImageImageImageImageImage

Jaycristo

Post by Jaycristo » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:55 pm

kite wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:32 am
The values have a min of 0 and max of 1023, when the stick is in the middle it should be around 400-600 or so, the joy2 seems alright, but the joy1 values you had before were a bit weird at pretty much both extremes!

With it ON, use your multimeter in voltage mode and put black probe on the black wire, and the red probe on the red wire. It should read "3.3v" (so ensure that it does and you can use this as the reference).

Leaving the black probe where it is on the black wire at all times, put the red probe onto the white or green wire.. in theory it should read about 1.6v or so, and if you move the joystick up/down or left/right you should see it change with one of those directions.. as in, if you move it up/down and the value on multimeter changes between 0.2v to 3.1v or something, then that is working ok. I have seen damaged joysticks range do different things, like changing from 0.4-0.6, with 0.5 being the middle..

Could you please try the above and as clearly as possible summarise what you are seeing? It might take a little bit of playing around to see what action causes which wire to change in voltage.

This is the way to test the physical joystick itself. Compare it against the other one and they should behave exactly the same
Thanks for walking me through the steps for checking voltage. I tested the voltage on joy2, matches everything you said. 3.3v and like 1.5 for the green and white. I took that same joystick, put it into joy1 and get no voltage. Tested my second joystick and get same results. Works in joy2 but get no voltage in joy1.

Jaycristo

Post by Jaycristo » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:39 pm

So the ground pin was bent in the joy 1 connector. It was so hard to see in there. Used a sewing needle to get it straight, just took a bit of time. Analog sticks now work but of course the JST I connected to the fan wire fell apart putting everything back together. That is going to be a problem for another day.

Thanks for all the help!

kite

Post by kite » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:18 am

Jaycristo wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:39 pm
So the ground pin was bent in the joy 1 connector. It was so hard to see in there. Used a sewing needle to get it straight, just took a bit of time. Analog sticks now work but of course the JST I connected to the fan wire fell apart putting everything back together. That is going to be a problem for another day.

Thanks for all the help!
Oh nice perfect! Glad you found it!! No problem for walking you through there, hopefully you can see how to further debug things in the future like that :)
Stock clearance - CLOSED: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=12064
Kite's Mailing List: https://goo.gl/forms/e97uUvPOfUxPWdz82
Kite's FAQ: https://kiteretro.com/faq/

ImageImageImageImageImage