RetroPie 4.6 Pi0 Performance?

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
infinitLoop

RetroPie 4.6 Pi0 Performance?

Post by infinitLoop » Sat May 23, 2020 3:44 pm

Curious if people have been running RetroPie 4.6 on the rpi0 or 0w, and how it stacks up to 4.3/4/5/etc.

Seems like everyone is focused on the pi4 and how that does (which is great, don't get me wrong) but I'm wondering if it's worthwhile trying to build an image around 4.6 or if I should just stick with my existing ones.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: RetroPie 4.6 Pi0 Performance?

Post by Helder » Wed May 27, 2020 7:46 am

I haven't been a big fan of it honestly, tried it with the typical settings and install scripts and it felt a bit sluggish. It seems as newer versions come out the pi0 is the one that suffers.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Dividion

Post by Dividion » Thu May 28, 2020 3:09 pm

Yeah, I've got to agree. I saw more a lot more stuttering initially than I was expecting to. I uninstalled some of the extra packages, and changing a couple of the emulators helped a little. I normally don't overclock the zero, but I might give that a shot also. I wouldn't call the performance terrible, but I feel it could certainly be better.
Check out my store for GBZ boards and accessories: http://pocketadventures.com

RxBrad

Post by RxBrad » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:40 am

I've honestly given up on RetroPie using a Pi Zero, as every release makes the performance worse & worse. Emulators seem to be focusing on features like run-ahead, which might work great on a Pi 4, but just kill the fun on a Pi Zero.

Ideally, it'd be nice to get my hands on an older ~2016-2017 version and stick with that. Unfortunately, I don't think versions that old run on the Pi Zero W, so you'd need to use a non-Wifi Zero.

For actually playing games, I've been happy with the RG-350 I snagged late last year.
Image Image

infinitLoop

Post by infinitLoop » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:32 am

RxBrad wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:40 am
I've honestly given up on RetroPie using a Pi Zero, as every release makes the performance worse & worse. Emulators seem to be focusing on features like run-ahead, which might work great on a Pi 4, but just kill the fun on a Pi Zero.

Ideally, it'd be nice to get my hands on an older ~2016-2017 version and stick with that. Unfortunately, I don't think versions that old run on the Pi Zero W, so you'd need to use a non-Wifi Zero.

For actually playing games, I've been happy with the RG-350 I snagged late last year.
seems like 4.3 is last, good pi0 one to me. i can get everything running pretty fast and stable on that, but anything after that really takes a hit.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:06 pm

Hard to find older versions too, we should post a few on some hosting sites to keep them available for future use. I personally like the older ones too.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:49 am

RxBrad wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:40 am
Helder wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:06 pm
Hard to find older versions too, we should post a few on some hosting sites to keep them available for future use. I personally like the older ones too.

here are a few older/earlier versions I've still got....

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

(they are exactly as if you downloaded them from the Retropie site... nothing touched)

these two versions are only really for the Pi Zero/RPi1
RetroPie 4.0.2
RetroPie 4.1

this was the earliest official release that supported the Pi Zero W
RetroPie 4.2

theses may be of use to some.....

if you have/know a better hosting site, then please post on there as well....