Build Log: First Time Builder

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
Brindlefly

Build Log: First Time Builder

Post by Brindlefly » Fri May 22, 2020 9:15 pm

A while back I bought some parts for my first build. Never got around to starting, but now have heaps of spare time.

I bought a bunch of parts off a local ebayer.

The list of parts supplied:

Image.

A not too clear shot showing some of the 3d printed parts (and other parts):

Image.

I've watched Wermy's excellent build videos, but is there a more focused guide for putting together a build based on the parts I have? This will be my first build.

Second question - I also sourced my own screen. Not sure it is the right type for this build. Looks like it needs a 12v power supply. Can anyone advise? Let me know if you can't identify enough details from the pic.

Image.

infinitLoop

Re: Build Log: First Time Builder

Post by infinitLoop » Sat May 23, 2020 12:45 pm

Brindlefly wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 9:15 pm
I've watched Wermy's excellent build videos, but is there a more focused guide for putting together a build based on the parts I have? This will be my first build.
probably his second build, but there are tons of posts here and on youtube if you search around

https://www.sudomod.com/wiki/index.php/ ... stom_Parts
Brindlefly wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 9:15 pm
Second question - I also sourced my own screen. Not sure it is the right type for this build. Looks like it needs a 12v power supply. Can anyone advise? Let me know if you can't identify enough details from the pic.
looks like the newer gearbest screen to me...

https://www.sudomod.com/wiki/index.php/ ... est_Screen

Brindlefly

Post by Brindlefly » Sat May 23, 2020 4:01 pm

Thanks. I have found Wermy's second build video. I have also found a similar ebay listing with photos showing the locations of the various 3d printed parts I have.

My controller board doesn't seem to be covered by either of Wermy's builds.

Image.

Image.

Does it need a teensy to interface between this and the rasberry pi? Or do you wire it directly to the rasberry pi board?

Secondly, it seems the only part I am missing is a battery. I did a quick email search but couldn't find a 4000mah battery that seeemd to fit the battery compartment. Is there any preferred battery by community members?

infinitLoop

Post by infinitLoop » Sat May 23, 2020 6:37 pm

it's helder's original design. it works pretty much like any of the boards in any of the tutorials/videos, that aren't "all in one" boards. it's essentially the same as any gbz board you will find (again, except "aio" types).

you could use a teensy like wermy did the first time, in the same way he did it essentially, or you cold get an arduino "pro micro" for cheaper but its essentially the same, or, the easiest way probably with that board, just wire it to the pi's gpio and run adafruit's retrogame (just look up their tutorial, and follow the guide, but adapt the button inputs for your needs).

for the battery, i don't know about "recommended" (if you wanted that, probably Helder's battery, but you will have to remove some shell from the battery compartment), but for a 4k mah that will fit with no mod, then just look for 125054 lithium batteries on ebay or aliexpress.

infinitLoop

Post by infinitLoop » Sat May 23, 2020 7:06 pm

you are probably not going to find a tutorial for the exact parts you have, but if you watch and read a few, you should be able to pick up on the concepts and what everything does.

that is what is referred to as a "common ground" board (meaning, the ground is shared with all the buttons, so you just have to hook up the positive for each, which are labeled). my gbc and bmo guides use similar stuff, for instance. with something like what you have, it'll require a bit of research and legwork to understand how it fits together.

MrErickson

Post by MrErickson » Sun May 24, 2020 3:47 pm

Closest would be his original series substituting your common ground for the DMG PCB or as infinit said you can go straight to the gpio pins.

Brindlefly

Post by Brindlefly » Wed May 27, 2020 6:28 pm

I've decided to go with the teensy option for interfacing the controller board with the pi zero.

I'm waiting for a teensy and a battery to arrive from China.

In the meantime, I'm thinking of setting up the pi zero ready for the build. I'm guessing I will need to configure the controller part of retropie to match the keyboard strokes the pi teensy will be configured with. I am going to use Wermy's teensy programing. Does anyone know where I can find the various keyboard strokes that match the different buttons of the gameboy zero controlkler (A B X Y, d-pad, start/select, r and l) ?

I'm also thinking of doing the case trimming while I wait for parts to arrive. I may have access to a 3 d printer soon. I think I may have seen someone use a 3d printed template for placing in the screen cavity that you can use to neatly draw your cutting line for when you trim the screen bezel. Anyone know of any stl files for such a template?

Dividion

Post by Dividion » Wed May 27, 2020 8:21 pm

Brindlefly wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 6:28 pm
In the meantime, I'm thinking of setting up the pi zero ready for the build. I'm guessing I will need to configure the controller part of retropie to match the keyboard strokes the pi teensy will be configured with. I am going to use Wermy's teensy programing. Does anyone know where I can find the various keyboard strokes that match the different buttons of the gameboy zero controlkler (A B X Y, d-pad, start/select, r and l) ?

I'm also thinking of doing the case trimming while I wait for parts to arrive. I may have access to a 3 d printer soon. I think I may have seen someone use a 3d printed template for placing in the screen cavity that you can use to neatly draw your cutting line for when you trim the screen bezel. Anyone know of any stl files for such a template?
Using the Teensy you can map the input pins however you want. I'd suggest checking out the tinkerBOY guide:
https://www.tinkerboy.xyz/how-to-progra ... h-arduino/

And here's the screen template: https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2715
Check out my store for GBZ boards and accessories: http://pocketadventures.com

infinitLoop

Post by infinitLoop » Wed May 27, 2020 11:27 pm

Brindlefly wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 6:28 pm
I've decided to go with the teensy option for interfacing the controller board with the pi zero.

I'm waiting for a teensy and a battery to arrive from China.

if you're doing a an actual teensy, your best bet is to follow wermy's guide. if i recall correctly, it can be tricky getting the arduino ide to work with it. tinkerboy's guide uses a pro micro so i'm not sure it'll work on a teensy. the buttons are already mapped in his code sample.

here's the screen stencil i normally use: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2429042

Dividion

Post by Dividion » Thu May 28, 2020 8:27 am

infinitLoop wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 11:27 pm
if you're doing a an actual teensy, your best bet is to follow wermy's guide. if i recall correctly, it can be tricky getting the arduino ide to work with it. tinkerboy's guide uses a pro micro so i'm not sure it'll work on a teensy. the buttons are already mapped in his code sample.
Actually, it should just be a matter of changing the target device from Arduino Leonardo (aka Pro Micro) to the Teensy. The big difference is that Wermy's guide sets the microcontroller to act as a Keyboard, whereas tinkerBOY's sets it as a Joystick. I used a Teensy and Wermy's guide for my very first build, and I kept running into issues with it registering multiple keypresses.
Check out my store for GBZ boards and accessories: http://pocketadventures.com