[PRE-ORDERS STARTNG SOON] Pre-stripped Raspberry Pi 2/3

Completed sale threads will be moved here to keep things tidy in the main For Sale forum.

Would you want to buy a pre-stripped Raspberry Pi?

Yes, and 10,- € is good!
66%
Yes, but 10,- € is too much.
3%
Yes, but you should ask for more than 10,- € to be fair.
26%
No need at all.
6%

Total votes: 90

sotasystems

[PRE-ORDERS STARTNG SOON] Pre-stripped Raspberry Pi 2/3

Post by sotasystems » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:00 am

UPDATE: As there is alot of interest for this, and people are writing me PM's asking me to desolder their existing Pi's (which I successfully did), I decided to make this ordering service a reality soon. ;)

UPDATE: PRE-ORDERS STARTING SOON!

Hi! :)

You might have seen my very first Project build here. It was also featured in the community spotlight, which was an awesome moment for me! :) Building it was alot of fun for me and I learned alot along the way. I am already on the way to my next build, so if you liked it, stay tuned for more! ;)

So, you might have gotten the idea to reproduce this build in a similar way, to be more precise with a Raspberry Pi 2 or even a Pi 3 like I did.

Interestingly, I got sooo many private messages with questions from all kinds of people all around the globe (even outside of sudomod! :D), and even people literaly registering up here only to ask me questions here! :lol: That's so crazy and awesome! :)

Okay, so the majority of them were regarding desoldering the parts from a Raspberry Pi 3 like I did in my build:

In those messages I have also noticed that alot of ladies and gentlemen in here actualy would be building their gameboy's with a Pi 2/3, but "revert" back to a Pi Zero because it is easier to use, because they get shy and uncomfortable when they think about having to desolder the parts off the board.

I can totaly understand that, as you need to have I'd say "above average soldering experience" to pull this off, and most of them just have basic to average knowledge or no experience collected at all and this is their first "building experience". I also had some people who were actualy attempting to desolder their Pi's and ended up with a totaly broken Raspberry Pi. :?

One day, a gentleman from Scottland kindly asked me to do it for him for a small fee, because he said I'd be his best bet on that, and I was OK with that as well. It turned out like this:

Then it got me thinking:
"If so many people ask me for advice/help and even some request to have a service and even would be happily paying for it, because it's a good service, right?"

"Hmm."

"How about selling pre-stripped Pi's (pre-stripped by myself) in the sudomod market? It would totaly make the one's lives who want to use a Pi2/3 in their builds but are too shy to go about desoldering much easier."
You see my idea here? Good. ;)

So my question to the public:

Do you want Pre-stripped Raspberry Pi's? :)

Let me give you a more detailed view of what I had in my mind:

To ensure everything is good with your unit, I will be doing complete tests on each Pi before and after each operation, and include this sheet, which my first customer also got from me:

As you might have noticed, the section "Camera header" and "Display header" have a "?" in their statuses and are not being tested. It is because I have nothing to test them with (yet). :oops: But that should be fine, because you are probably not going to use them in the Gameboy anyways. Maybe in the future I will be able to test them, though :P

Also keep in mind, those things will NOT be tested if they were selected for desoldering because of obvious reasons:
  • HDMI
  • Camera header
  • Display header
So how will ordering look like?

Well, you get to choose the model of Raspberry Pi you want to be modified first. Possible options will be (for the time being then):
  • Raspberry Pi 2
  • Raspberry Pi 3
Zero will not be an option because pretty much everything on it already is pretty stripped.

Then you get to choose what you want to be removed. Possible options will be:
  • USB0 & USB1
  • USB2 & USB3
  • LAN
  • HDMI
  • 3.5mm jack which includes Composite AV & Audio L & Audio R
  • Camera header
  • Display header
  • All GPIO pins, but there you can also choose these options:
  • Keep pin header for specific pin(s) (And then a list where you can choose).
Thank you very much for your attention. This is it to give you a sneak peek of what I have in mind. :)
So how much will it cost?
I thought about it like this: Cost of Raspberry Pi I will pay + 10,- € desoldering & testing + Shipping to you
I think 10,- € is a fair price. I could be totaly wrong though, please give me suggestions! :)

Why not just do it and set up like a "pre-ordering system"?
I'll be honest: I don't have any experience in bidding a service of some kind, and I am just a little sceptical if people would actualy be in need for something like this for said price. :)

So if you liked this anyways and think it is a good idea and potentialy even would want to buy something like this, please vote! :)

Thank you very much!
Last edited by sotasystems on Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:40 am, edited 5 times in total.
Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to inform you that I am currently moving very far away, and therefore I am very busy.

UPDATE: I am still alive! My ISP is setting up my internet on the 19th of January at my new place, explaining my offline-ness.

If you write me a PM, I will very likely take some time to respond.

Also, my 2nd build will soon go on, so if you've been following it, please stay tuned! :)

Many thanks for your understanding!

Ganreizu

Re: [QUESTION] Pre-stripped Raspberry Pi 2/3

Post by Ganreizu » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:23 am

I would be interested. Going to have a lot of people interested since kite's board requires it.

Daniel_N

Re: [QUESTION] Pre-stripped Raspberry Pi 2/3

Post by Daniel_N » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:38 am

Just want to inform you that i selected no, beacause i don´t need one, but i think 10€ is a very good price.
So the button for "no, i don´t want one, but i think it´s fair" is missing ;)

Grüße aus Bremen :D
Daniel

Mischief

Re: [GAUGING INTEREST] Pre-stripped Raspberry Pi 2/3

Post by Mischief » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:53 am

I would be interested in a pre stripped pi3 definitely

flashpc

Post by flashpc » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:47 am

definitely interested in prestripped Pi3 sign me up

derebbe

Post by derebbe » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:56 am

interested as well!

AJRedfern

Post by AJRedfern » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:04 pm

I'd be interested, however I'm wanting to give it a go myself first. I just keep trying to find I diagram of the exact solder points to desolder so that I don't mistakenly remove something to completely mess it up.
AJRedfern - Author of the Game Boy Zero Splash Screen seen in Wermy's Custom Parts Guide Pt 2.
http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1440

Camble

Post by Camble » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:26 am

Sounds like a great idea and I don't think there will be any shortage of people interested in such a service.

Price sounds very reasonable. Only you can know how much your time is worth and long the job takes you. Postage and packaging can end up costing more than you estimate, especially if you need anti-static packaging too.

I didn't vote, because I would also strip down my own.

abrugsch

Post by abrugsch » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:07 pm

Having stripped a pi myself (an A+ not a full size) and knowimg how much there is to do, I think you're asking way too little with all the testing you need to do.

Just my thoughts unless you're literally able to get everything off cleanly in 10 mins!

sotasystems

Post by sotasystems » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:29 pm

abrugsch wrote:Having stripped a pi myself (an A+ not a full size) and knowimg how much there is to do, I think you're asking way too little with all the testing you need to do.

Just my thoughts unless you're literally able to get everything off cleanly in 10 mins!
Thank you. :) What would you say is an appropiate price?
Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to inform you that I am currently moving very far away, and therefore I am very busy.

UPDATE: I am still alive! My ISP is setting up my internet on the 19th of January at my new place, explaining my offline-ness.

If you write me a PM, I will very likely take some time to respond.

Also, my 2nd build will soon go on, so if you've been following it, please stay tuned! :)

Many thanks for your understanding!