Something going wrong...

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
stevepax

Something going wrong...

Post by stevepax » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:49 am

I got my pi soldered to the button PCB, wired the speaker and the function button, got a fresh custom retropi from this site, and attached that to the button 3d printed faceplate. Attached the ribbon cable to the lcd screen, then plugged a regular power supply into my raspberry pi to test things so far.

Green light in the pi lit up, but the screen did absolutely nothing.

What I've done so far - check continuity again on all the gpio pins on the pi with the test pads, and test continuity from the test pads on the lcd with the 9 pads under the ribbon connector on the button PCB. All gave me a beep. Any ideas?

stevepax

Re: Something going wrong...

Post by stevepax » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:26 pm

Ah! I got it! The stupid ground gpio connection was sporadic. I managed to remelt the solder and now it turns on.

New problem - the function button. Doesn't do anything. Clearly I have something wired wrong? Can you look at my picture above? I tried to do it the same as wermy, but I feel like I've got both wires connected to the same side of the button, which I thought he did too, but maybe I'm wrong?

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:41 pm

stevepax wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:26 pm
Ah! I got it! The stupid ground gpio connection was sporadic. I managed to remelt the solder and now it turns on.

New problem - the function button. Doesn't do anything. Clearly I have something wired wrong? Can you look at my picture above? I tried to do it the same as wermy, but I feel like I've got both wires connected to the same side of the button, which I thought he did too, but maybe I'm wrong?
for the function button you need to make sure you solder the gpio hole to the left of the CS. It is not marked...See my image. I can see in your image that it is not soldered.
Solder where the red line is pointingShow
Last edited by rodocop on Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:41 pm

I see nothing wrong with the wiring of your button...
Follow me on instagram Image

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:43 pm

Rodocop has a Falcon Eye lol
Follow me on instagram Image

stevepax

Post by stevepax » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:46 pm

rodocop wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:41 pm
stevepax wrote:

for the function button you need to make sure you solder the gpio hole to the left of the CS. It is not marked...See my image. I can see in your image that it is not soldered.
Oh, that likely explains it then. I clearly did not solder that hole at all. Thanks for the info! I'll be back at this thing tonight; hopefully I can move on to the sound card, charger, and battery, and get this thing buttoned up. My kids can't wait, as if they think I'm going to let them touch it...

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:05 pm

stevepax wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:46 pm
rodocop wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:41 pm
stevepax wrote:

Oh, that likely explains it then. I clearly did not solder that hole at all. Thanks for the info! I'll be back at this thing tonight; hopefully I can move on to the sound card, charger, and battery, and get this thing buttoned up. My kids can't wait, as if they think I'm going to let them touch it...
Good luck, I guarantee that will solve the function button problem. The issue is because Wermy's guide tells you to test continuity with the pin beside the CS pin for the function button, but in the photo below that he has an image with an arrow surrounding the CS pin...